Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Key service required on dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:17 AM
Exclamation Key service required on dash

Just bought my outlander as a fresh jap import today. Beautiful car but a couple of small things to sort.

There is a message that comes up every time you start the car. It shows a key, with an explaination mark through it and 'Service Required' under it. Theres also an image in the corner that (i eventually figured out) required you to hold down the info button to change screens.

Additionally im concerned about the following:
- the car locks/unlocks using the remote but the black buttons on doorhandles dont work.
- the ignition will turn on without a key in it and the car continues to run when you walk away with the keys.

Any ideas?

Old 08-29-2012, 12:07 PM

- Do you have the MMCS? If you do look to see if you can find the setting for the button.

- This is normal. There will be an alert on the dash that the key is missing though.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:35 PM

The guy that sold it to you should have walked you thru everything.

Any questions that you have will be answered in the owner's manual.

The car won't go anywhere without the FAST key being present. You have to have the fob in your pocket to make the little touch button work. If they dont, bring it back and have the dealer deal with it.

I just traded my 2011 SE in on a 2012 GT. Liked both. Having the blluetooth module put in next week.

Old 09-01-2012, 01:37 AM

Hey bud where are you in the world? And is your display writing in jap too??
I have a JDM fresh import too and it's all jap, the car even talks to you

Old 09-01-2012, 06:07 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by Gen-8
Hey bud where are you in the world? And is your display writing in jap too??
I have a JDM fresh import too and it's all jap, the car even talks to you
Im in New Zealand. I found a solution for both those issues. Firstly to change the display beside your speedo, start your car but leave in park and handbrake on. Press info button beside r/h of dash until an image of a toolbox comes up. Hold down the info button for 3sec. This is the settings menu. Press info till you come to the language option, hold 3sec to select, press till highlight english, hold 3sec to select. Done!

As for the japanese nav guide talking to you, start car, in park, handbrake on, press 'set' on left side of stereo screen, select the top right option, then the second option, then on the second line there are nimbers 1 to 7 and a jap charactor to the left. This is the voice command volume. Select the charactor below 1 for mute. Done and done!

Old 09-01-2012, 02:57 PM

Sweet man give me a txt or call sometime e bud, glad to see other NZ'ers here 0277210104

Old 09-03-2012, 12:10 AM
Thumbs up

Well Ive taken it back to the dealer, showed them the key issue and they hesitantly forwarded it to the mitsi service centre for fixing. Talked to the mechanic at the service centre myself so im reassured theyll repair it properly.

Time will tell!

Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 AM

Hmmm hope it works out for you dude, if you need any help just contact me ok, I have Mitsi manager acquaintances that can help

Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 AM

On another note how dud you know bout the setup options etc? I'm having difficulty setting up my mmcs and am ready to throw it out but I'm hesitant as would preff to keep it

Old 09-03-2012, 04:41 AM

Just through trial and error really. Have tried every possible combination of settings and figured out what 10% of them do. One handy thing was the book i bought off trademe but the book only covers settings related to music and tv etc, no vehicle or nav settings.

Heres an auction here: Mitsubishi Multi Communication System Manual 06~ | Trade Me

Quick Reply: Key service required on dash