Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 11:00 AM
Default Lights issue

Afternoon All..... well, I'm the proud owner of a 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander, 63,000km on the clock with full service history!

However, I have a problem, I was playing around with all the bits and bobs (as you do), and noticed the rear fog light wasn't working. So, I checked all the lights.... all the lights work EXCEPT the fog light, one registration plate light, what I presume is the right 'position light' (the small outermost light at the front), AND both of the main lights next to the xenons.

The xenons are fine, as are the front fogs, indicators too, brake lights good, and the left front position light too.

I checked the fuses, all were good (the headlight wash fuse had blown, so I replaced that). I checked the rear fog light bulb, no damage, all connections appear tight, I also checked the front left halogen bulb which appeared fully intact.

Any ideas? I'm stumped..... :-(

Attached Thumbnails Lights issue-front-left.jpg   Lights issue-front-right.jpg   Lights issue-halogen-light.jpg  

Last edited by TonyW1967; 03-27-2015 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Adding some pictures
Old 03-27-2015, 12:17 PM

Halogen lights next to xenons are your high beams. Xenon's take too long to charge up, halogens come on instantly. The only way to have xenon high beams is to have them on all the time when your other xenon's are on, and use some kind of mechanical shade to block it until you kick on your high beams.

My subaru and Suzuki GSXR motorcycle are the same way. Halogen reflective lamp is for high beam.

Not sure what a rear FOG light is, i don't think we have them in the states here. I'm assuming it's a super bright tail light so people can see you better in fog?

Old 03-27-2015, 12:19 PM

Thanks, that's good to know, but they don't light up when I select full/high beam.... and yes, you are correct about the fog lights! :-)

Old 03-27-2015, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by TonyW1967
Thanks, that's good to know, but they don't light up when I select full/high beam.... and yes, you are correct about the fog lights! :-)
Maybe they are both or all three blown from an electrical surge?

I would use a multimeter or test light to make sure the bulbs are getting power when selecting high beam.

Also is ur parking brake on? My Subaru turns off running lights with pbrake on, so maybe a similar thing here.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:49 PM

Just been out to check them, the xenons are actually the main and full beams! I got my daughter to flick the switch and the xenons (as per the attached pic) went to full beam. And I have to add, instantaneously. Nada on the 'halogen' lights.

Attached Thumbnails Lights issue-front-left.jpg  
Old 03-27-2015, 12:55 PM

Just been out (again), tried all different combinations, parking brake on/off, in neutral/park/drive, no change.....

Old 03-27-2015, 01:04 PM

Just been out (again), tried all different combinations, parking brake on/off, in neutral/park/drive, no change.....
You have bi-Xenon headlights. There is a motor in the bulb assembly and a blocking shade. The motor moves the bulb out of the shade to give more light. I guess Mitsubishi decided to do this instead of utilizing the halogen high beam.

Not sure why your rear fog light is out.

Old 03-27-2015, 01:15 PM

So what are the halogen lights for then, inside each of the xenon lights? They don't light up, whatever I do....

Old 03-27-2015, 01:34 PM

So what are the halogen lights for then, inside each of the xenon lights? They don't light up, whatever I do....
I don't have the Xenon HID's on mine, so i can't tell you for sure. But i'm guessing mitsubishi just uses the same headlamp for all their outlanders. On the higher trim levels when someone orders the HID package, they just pull the halogen lamp out of the projector lamp, and install the Bi-xenon's and ballasts on the vehicle.

From an assembly line persepective, this would be easier. Just have all headlamps assemblies preloaded with bulbs at the supplier because it saves time over loading each lamp with bulbs on the assembly line.

You need someone else with the HID's on their outtie to chime in and verify their halogen lamps don't work either.

For your rear fog, i'd check the connections with a multimeter or 12v test lamp, if you have voltage there, then your bulb needs replaced.

Old 03-28-2015, 09:17 AM

In Australia those extra lights are turning (bending) lights, in some other places they are daytime running lights. My Outlander has the bi-xenons and I didn't like the look of the turning lights so I took the fuses out. From memory they were fuses 18 and 19 in the under bonnet fuse box.

Quick Reply: Lights issue