Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Loss of Power - in Limp Mode - please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:09 PM
Default Loss of Power - in Limp Mode - please help

Hello everyone

I have encountered another problem with my outlander 2008 (2.0 VAG Engine manual) and that is that the car intermittently goes into "limp mode" causing a loss of power and not accelerating above 60 mph and really struggling on hills etc.

This has happened to me twice now since I bought it 2 days ago. I have read this thread from another site and wanted to know to know if anyone has encountered this on their car?
http://www.parkers.co.uk/advice/foru...TOPIC_ID=39380

The only correlation I can find with this occurance is each time it has happened shortly after I used the cruise control. I have found that stopping the car and restarting takes it out of limp mode (presumably resetting the ecu?) Also can this be related to my other problem of the oil light audible warning at ignition.

Thanks in anticipation
Besides these problems the outlander seems to be a very good car!

Old 06-26-2011, 06:28 PM

Turning off ignition will not clear the ecu.

Disconnect the battery for 5 minutes, then re-connect. You will loose all the presets in the radio and clock.

Did you buy this from a private party, or a dealer?

If a dealer with a half good reputation, talk to the people there and see if you can get them to do some trouble shooting. The key is not to be agressive or belligerant.

Just a normal tone and request that the car be made right.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:15 PM
Default loss of power limp mode

check my previous posts re this, and best of luck! After several visits to my dealer with various attempts,a new turbo cured mine.

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33015

Old 06-27-2011, 05:33 PM

Hi All

I suspect that I will need get a diagnostic test to see if anything comes up. Can anyone suggest anywhere in Manchester that can do this for a reasonable cost. I was quoted £55 +vat today at mitsiland in mnchester (which I think is expensive for an indy) How much is it at dealer? I paid around £40 for my bmw for a diagnostic. Also would an indy have an generic dignostic tool as to a dealer who who have a mitsubishi tool to diagnose all errors? Thanks in anticipation.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:34 PM

P.S if I disconnect the battery, will the alarm go off and do I only need to disconnect teh postiive terminal?

Old 06-28-2011, 03:35 AM
Default re loss of power

Originally Posted by outlander123
P.S if I disconnect the battery, will the alarm go off and do I only need to disconnect teh postiive terminal?
No, your alarm will not go off, you can take off either terminal:
re diagnostics, Gallaghers of Chester (main dealer) charge £60 plus vat for this.

Old 12-09-2016, 01:02 AM
Default My solution for limp mode

I have 2008 2.0 did manual. Bought it brand new and drove 8 years without any problems. This year, first lost turbo and then engine cylinder head. After replacinf them i started having problems. When driving 120 km/h turbo cuts off, restarting engine and everything fine again up to 120. Spent 8 months on the internet looking for probable causes. Never changed anything, just testing. Checked all the vacuum lines and actuators and cables etc. Then happened to see gas engine problem with GAS CAP. Remembered, once on the gas satation when i opened the cap it fell apart. All the springs and spacers flew away. Thought, who cares, just a gas cap Bottom line, limo mode was caused by this and probably lost my turbo also by this. Since i had no ventilation in gas tank anymore,it creates vacuum in tank and low fuel flow to the engine. Since there are no sensors in fuel line, no engine code came up. Only once i had rurbo underboost error p0299. It leaded to variable solenoid block, but apparently it was good. Basically vacuum in the tank caused engine ro cut off turbo and at the same rime it causes lean condition which makes exhaust gases too hot and probably lost my turbo over this. Turbo axel broke. I tested my cap easy. Opened the cap fully andbwent to test drive, up to 140km/h, no limo mode. Stopped the car and closed cap. 2km and limp mode. Opened again and all fine again. Bought new cap 24 eur and problem solved.

Old 12-12-2016, 09:12 AM

Same problem with my Grandis 2.0 DID. Eventually had to part with £850 for a new turbo.Lets see what happens.

Old 12-31-2016, 10:43 AM

I solved the same problem on an outlander 2008 by replacing the hose between intercooler and turbo. I found this recommendation here on the forum

Old 01-01-2017, 07:26 AM

Originally Posted by outlander123
Hello everyone

I have encountered another problem with my outlander 2008 (2.0 VAG Engine manual) and that is that the car intermittently goes into "limp mode" causing a loss of power and not accelerating above 60 mph and really struggling on hills etc.

This has happened to me twice now since I bought it 2 days ago. I have read this thread from another site and wanted to know to know if anyone has encountered this on their car?
http://www.parkers.co.uk/advice/foru...TOPIC_ID=39380

The only correlation I can find with this occurance is each time it has happened shortly after I used the cruise control. I have found that stopping the car and restarting takes it out of limp mode (presumably resetting the ecu?) Also can this be related to my other problem of the oil light audible warning at ignition.

Thanks in anticipation
Besides these problems the outlander seems to be a very good car!
Had a new turbo fitted at a cost of£860. I have just done a 3500 mile trip to the alps in Italy and back without any problems. When the old turbo was removed not only where the vanes blocked but the bearings had gone too. Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: Loss of Power - in Limp Mode - please help