Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

low tire pressure

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 02:38 PM
Default low tire pressure

I just want to see if anyone else is having this issue.

I live near Chicago, and with this extremely cold weather, I've been having an issue with my tire pressure.

It will indicate I have low tire pressure when it's really cold out (10 degrees or colder). The first time this happened I checked the tires and they were fine. Once you start driving for a few minutes the error message will go away. The dealership thinks it's a computer glitch (I probably agree).

Anyone else have this issue?

Old 01-17-2009, 03:11 PM
Default RE: low tire pressure

Yes, same thing happened to me once. With the pressure already on the low side (about 28 psi) in the tires I went to start the carwhen it was about 5 F and the warning came on. As soon asI'd driven awhile it went away. I subsequently put the proper pressure in there(32 psi) and I've seen temperatures as low as -8 F the last couple of mornings here in CT, and no TPMS warning, so it isn't just temperature for my Outlander -the pressure needs to be on the low sideto start with too.

Old 01-17-2009, 06:48 PM

When I took my outtie in for its 6 month service about a week before Christmas, my service advisor mentioned they had gotten a bunch of calls about the TPMS low pressure warning because of the colder weather, and this was in Phoenix wherecolder weathermeans about 38-40 degrees F.

Old 01-17-2009, 09:15 PM

there is a thread about this from about a month or so ago. there is lots of discussion about it. one thing you may want to check is the tire pressure in your spare tire as well. seems that lots were forgetting about that one.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:30 AM

My experience is that the TPMS light comes on around 26 psi. When parked your tires are cold and pressures are at their lowest. Once you begin to drive, your tires heat up and pressures will increase. Placard pressure recommendations are for cold inflation. You ate likely right at the 26 psi limit cold and once you begin driving and they heat up, thus increasing the pressure, the warning goes away. There is not a problem with the sensors.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:05 AM

I agree, the systems seems to be working normally. I have had the warning come up once and my tires were at 27psi. Did you try more than one pressure gage? If you only used one, it could be indicating higher the actual pressure.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:15 AM

I have 2007 XLS. I get this warning everyday when the temperature is below 40F. I live in Maryland. Sometimes the warning stays on and sometimes when the weather is warm more than 40F then goes off. I check my tire pressures reguarly.

I think it has something to do with the on board programming.

Is there a TPMS issued on this.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:45 PM

Hey mcam,

I am in Maryland as well. Had the same problem but I adjusted my tire pressure and have not had the issue again. Even when the temp was down below 10F.
________
mexico hotels

Last edited by ruchuck; 02-07-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:24 PM

doesnt anyone here understand basic physics?

you lose (or gain) about 1PSI for every 10 degrees of temperature up or down. So if you're on the cusp of your pressure being too low on a 40 degree day the light will come on the next day when its only 10 outside because you just lost 3 psi.
Then as you drive and warm the tires significantly, the light will shut off.

And your average tire loses about 1 psi per month, too. And 1 psi for every 1000 feet in elevation change.

set your tires when COLD to the rated pressure, and check them monthly (as any wise person would do anyway).

Old 01-19-2009, 04:07 PM

To be a bit more accurate, expanding or contracting gases is a thermodynamic principle which isa branch of Physics, so it's not exactly basic physics. Also the absolute pressure inside the tire will not change with elevation, since it will more or less keep the same volume, but since atmospheric pressure will decrease the relative pressure will change, but it will go up, not down.

Quick Reply: low tire pressure