Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

made my own DRL set up

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 09:52 AM
Default made my own DRL set up

so as i posted a while back, i did HID and in order to pull it off i used the running lights as my power source for my ballast. In doing this I eliminated the need for factory headlight harness and lost DRL function... been driving me nuts figuring out what to do...

Then I remembered i have a set of LED lights i got free with an item a few years ago... (same as these pictured)

2X 12V DC Car Daytime Running Light 8 LED DRL Daylight Head Lamp Super White | eBay

under our rigs there is a cut out from some of the plastics and these suckers fit right in there like it was made for it, I just had to pull the 3 push pannel pins around the area to get it to fold down, drill my 2 holes in the plastic and bolt everythign up

i then ran wires for them both UP along the inside of the engine bay , soldered them into 1 main line around the radiator area, and then soldered everything into this adapter below

Car LED Daytime Running Light DRL Auto on Off Controller DC12V | eBay

the adapter is pretty cool, i was able to splice the white line into the power line for the HID set up off the running lights, soldered and shrink wrapped that all up, then did the same for the power/ground to the running lights. From there hooked up the possitive to the battery and grounded the negative out on the frame. Nice think about these lights is they are on full power when the lights are off, when the lights come on they cut to 1/2 power and become marker lights, then when the car is turned off they stay on for about 20 seconds before shutting down. all in all i have maybe $15 into this whole thing, looks super clean. I will say it is all but IMPOSSIBLE to get pictures of these suckers. When the headlights are on they really are more like marker lights, even though they picture like they are full bright. but figured i would share. Nice thing about them going to 1/2 power is in becoming marker lights they also allow you to remain legal (only allowed 4 forward facing lights on the road) so this way i am not getting pulled over for some BS.

daytime running lights

headlights on and DRL at 1/2 power

headlights, grill lights, fogs on, and DRL at 1/2 power

some really bad overly bright photos i snapped with the cell

Old 10-21-2014, 11:13 AM

well... the ****ty LED driving lights went... go figure right... so i redid them a bit different, used 9w eagle eyes this time...

i know they look crooked in the pics but they are perfectly strait

DRL

60% power DRL with headlights

with fogs on and grill lit

Old 10-21-2014, 02:08 PM

Nice! What's the story on the HID setup? I was bummed to find that the Outlander didn't have HIDs where as the OSport does. Were some Outlanders available with HIDs?

Old 10-21-2014, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by stvOuttie
Nice! What's the story on the HID setup? I was bummed to find that the Outlander didn't have HIDs where as the OSport does. Were some Outlanders available with HIDs?
Plenty of ZH's do, at least in Aus. All of the higher specs (XLS, XLS Luxury) have them here, and I think they may have been optional on the lower specs.

Laws over your way may be different, here they must be auto-leveling and be fitted with washers. Also remember that if you are looking at sourcing them from another country, the cutoff plate could be wrong (right-hand drive vs left-hand drive)

Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by stvOuttie
Outlander does have HID options on most of markets.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM

I have hunted for HID pojection lights for my outie... can not find them anywhere for under $400, i plan on doing a retro fit this winter and building my own headlights... i have done this on every vehicle i have owned now... for my HID, i did it a bit different than most because i kept blowing ballasts with the power changes, even with the flicker box, and relay set up... so i tapped my power souce off the running lights to turn on and off the ballast. The way the lights are aimed they do not offer flood HID lighting and it does not blind people. i actaully had it tested at the local police dept about 4 weeks ago and it passed with flying colors. (my ****ty liscense plate LED's that on occasion flicker however failed due to the flicker)

I did my HID very simply, first split the wires to the running

for my old jeep i opened up a set of aftermarket lamps on it and built a HID set up... i hated all the blue LEDS in it when i got it and the lame *** reflector inside stuck out like a sore thumb, so i swapped wiht all plasma white, and did a 6k hid kit

all done with PIAA fog lights

Old 10-23-2014, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by JRK5892
...building my own headlights... i have done this on every vehicle i have owned now..
...i actaully had it tested at the local police dept about 4 weeks ago and it passed with flying colors.
Really? Where abouts is this? As everywhere I've heard of this is 100% illegal...

Old 10-24-2014, 08:50 AM

chicago IL, they did a height measure, color temp measure, and some test he called flood lighting... my guess would be the amount of light that is not aimed as it was done on a black wall with point markers all over it.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:52 AM

i will also add that my headlights are propperly aimed. never ever had a buddy or just a person driving tell me my lights where blinding either on coming or behind, granted i will still build a retro fit, just cause i like the looks and want to color match the inside of my headlights... but they are not blinding by any means. I leave my shop around 3am every day, i do get pulled over pretty often as i pass right though the main strip of town with all the bars... never EVER had a cop say anyting at all about them...