Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Mitsubishi recalling 166k cars, crossovers over stall risk

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 02:59 AM
Arrow Mitsubishi recalling 166k cars, crossovers over stall risk

Mitsubishi recalling 166k cars, crossovers over stall risk - Autoblog

Anyone get notified about this officially?

Old 10-11-2014, 04:35 AM

Interesting

I am in NZ and have the 4b1 engine in my 2010 Outlander so I wonder if this will go worldwide.

I might contact Mitsi NZ and see what they say.

Old 10-13-2014, 05:06 PM

Guess I'll be keeping my eyes open for the notice in the mail. Seems strange that the dealer I bought it from in '11 has been trying like crazy to get me to trade it in. Just coincidence I suppose.

Old 10-13-2014, 09:46 PM

I have just spoken to Mitsi NZ and indeed they are being recalled here in NZ as well. One would assume affected vehicle owners in Australia will also be getting letters from Mitsi.

Apparently they have sent letters out in batches to owners of the affected vehicles with one batch having been sent last week. There may be one more batch to be sent out.

Not all the vehicles are affected.

He wasn't able to tell if my 2010 Outlander was affected as while a batch of letters are out in the mail so to speak he cant check.

He said to call in a couple of weeks if I haven't received any letter where he would be able to check if it is one of the affected vehicles.

Old 10-19-2014, 02:15 AM

Has anyone received an official letter? Can you please share what was mentioned?

Old 10-19-2014, 08:33 AM

We got the notice in the mail yesterday. Envelope says "Important safety recall information issued in accordance with Federal law."

The letter is titled "IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL."

This notice applies to your vehicle [VIN Number]

This notice has been sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Date: October 2014

Dear Mitsubishi Owner:

Reason for notice: Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) has decided that a defect which related to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2008 - 2011 Lancer, Lancer Evolution, and Outlander vehicles, 2009 - 2011 Lancer Sportback vehicles, and 2011 Outlander Sport vehicles. Due to the build material of the drive belt, the pulleys in the drive belt system can experience unusual wear, resulting in possible detachment of the drive belt. A detached drive belt could result in battery depletion and an overheated engine, which could cause a moving vehicle to stall and may increase the risk of a crash. A loss of power steering assist could occur in vehicles with hydraulic power steering, resulting in increased steering effort and may also increase the risk of a crash. Engine warning lamp(s) illumination will alert the vehicle operator in the event of drive belt detachment.

What you should do: Please contact your Authorized Mitsubishi dealer and schedule an appointment to have the recall remedy performed on your vehicle. When you bring your vehicle in, please show the dealer this letter. (If you misplace this letter, the dealer will still make this inspection/repair to your vehicle, free of charge.)

What your dealer will do: The dealership will replace the drive belt with a countermeasure part, and if necessary, replace the pulley and/or tensioner assemblies with a new part.

How long will it take? Depending on the vehicle, the time needed for this remedy is approximately 1.5 hrs. The dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time due to service scheduling issues, but every effort will be made to minimize your inconvenience.

That's the gist of it. The letter also tells you what to do if you are still having trouble getting the dealer to make the repair promptly and/or at no charge, like contacting Mitsubishi customer relations or NHTSA. They also have instructions what to do if you already had this problem and paid for a repair. There is a card to return if you no longer own the vehicle.

Old 10-19-2014, 08:46 AM

Thanks for the heads up. I checked Transport Canada:
Road Safety Recalls Database

Recall NumberRecall DateMakeModelSystemModel Year(s) Affected
20143982014/09/15MITSUBISHIOUTLANDERElectrical2007 2008 2009
20143972014/09/15MITSUBISHIOUTLANDEREngine2008 2009 2010 2011
20142482014/06/25MITSUBISHIOUTLANDERPowertrain2007 2008 2009 2010 2012 2013 2014
20142472014/06/25MITSUBISHIOUTLANDERSteering2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013
20120012012/01/04MITSUBISHIOUTLANDERLights And Instruments2012
20090722009/03/06MITSUBISHIOUTLANDERBrakes2008 2009
20084532008/12/22MITSUBISHIOUTLANDERLights And Instruments2008
20080632008/02/21MITSUBISHIOUTLANDERElectrical2007 2008

Last edited by Pitmax; 10-19-2014 at 08:49 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:36 AM
Arrow Thank-You!

Originally Posted by Isophorone
We got the notice in the mail yesterday. Envelope says "Important safety recall information issued in accordance with Federal law."

The letter is titled "IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL."

This notice applies to your vehicle [VIN Number]

This notice has been sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Date: October 2014

Dear Mitsubishi Owner:

Reason for notice: Mitsubishi Motors North America (MMNA) has decided that a defect which related to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 2008 - 2011 Lancer, Lancer Evolution, and Outlander vehicles, 2009 - 2011 Lancer Sportback vehicles, and 2011 Outlander Sport vehicles. Due to the build material of the drive belt, the pulleys in the drive belt system can experience unusual wear, resulting in possible detachment of the drive belt. A detached drive belt could result in battery depletion and an overheated engine, which could cause a moving vehicle to stall and may increase the risk of a crash. A loss of power steering assist could occur in vehicles with hydraulic power steering, resulting in increased steering effort and may also increase the risk of a crash. Engine warning lamp(s) illumination will alert the vehicle operator in the event of drive belt detachment.

What you should do: Please contact your Authorized Mitsubishi dealer and schedule an appointment to have the recall remedy performed on your vehicle. When you bring your vehicle in, please show the dealer this letter. (If you misplace this letter, the dealer will still make this inspection/repair to your vehicle, free of charge.)

What your dealer will do: The dealership will replace the drive belt with a countermeasure part, and if necessary, replace the pulley and/or tensioner assemblies with a new part.

How long will it take? Depending on the vehicle, the time needed for this remedy is approximately 1.5 hrs. The dealer may need your vehicle for a longer period of time due to service scheduling issues, but every effort will be made to minimize your inconvenience.

That's the gist of it. The letter also tells you what to do if you are still having trouble getting the dealer to make the repair promptly and/or at no charge, like contacting Mitsubishi customer relations or NHTSA. They also have instructions what to do if you already had this problem and paid for a repair. There is a card to return if you no longer own the vehicle.
Thank-You! For sharing please let us know how everything goes at the dealership!

Old 10-20-2014, 07:50 PM

Serpentor,

I called the dealership (Malloy Mitsubishi, Woodbridge, VA) today and made an appointment for Friday. The service rep called me back to confirm that they had the part in stock. My advice is to make SURE that the dealer confirms this.

I REALLY wish there were dealers again closer to where I live . . .

Old 10-24-2014, 11:49 PM
Arrow

Originally Posted by Isophorone
Serpentor,

I called the dealership (Malloy Mitsubishi, Woodbridge, VA) today and made an appointment for Friday. The service rep called me back to confirm that they had the part in stock. My advice is to make SURE that the dealer confirms this.

I REALLY wish there were dealers again closer to where I live . . .
How did it go my friend?

Quick Reply: Mitsubishi recalling 166k cars, crossovers over stall risk