Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

MMCS : Error message

Old 11-13-2014, 07:03 AM
Unhappy MMCS : Error message

Hello,

First of all, great thanks to the ones who take time to analyze and help some people being in trouble with their car ! That’s very nice to give your time for other people!

I read carefully a lot of topics on this forum and learned a lot but unfortunately, no one seemed to have the same problem I have…

So… I’m leaving in France and I have a Citroen C Crosser 2009 with MMCS and Rockford system… I have a big problem with it… (and in fact, I have now not one but two problems !...)

Here’s the story:

Important: I didn’t try to upgrade anything with my MMCS (CDDB or navigation system) before the problem occurs + you will find attached some pictures of my current system.

One month ago, I got a message “it’s difficult to read the hard disk. Wait for a while until the hard disk is restored”. It stayed with this message and the HDD tried to reboot but failed with it. During almost one month… At the beginning of the error, I could select « restart » but after a couple of days, it was no more possible.

I thought it was a problem with the HDD and tried to read with Linux but failed (now, thanks to your posts, I know why).

I have a friend who also has a C Crosser with MMCS and Rockford system.
I put his HDD in my car. It worked! I corrected the time zone with his HDD in my MMCS (sorry for the details but maybe it can be of help…) as we changed for wintertime and the clock is the only remaining thing that worked with the MMCS. Just after this test, I gave him his HDD back and no problem for him to use it properly in his car. Unfortunately, I didn’t check which version he had but I think (not sure), his car is a little bit older than mine.
I was convinced that my HDD was dead. So I decided to read the HDD of my friend with Linux and I failed again. I searched into some forums why and now I know that I had to unlock the HDD before being able to read it. Thanks to you!

But… When we put again the HDDs in the right cars (we didn’t do anything to the two HDDs with the computer, just tried to read them, because I was not yet aware that I had to unlock them – so no other action than trying to read them): The HDD of my friend didn’t work anymore in his car nor… in my car! Always the same message: “it’s difficult to read the hard disk. Wait for a while until the hard disk is restored”. And… my HDD was working (but always after one reboot) in my car ( !!!) and his car (???). So, as he needed a navigation system the following day, I let him go with my HDD. It worked perfectly during one hour for the first trip. But the following day, the HDD lost the connection 3 times with still the same error message. And during one week, it stayed with this message and no reboot worked…

A couple of days ago, he gave me my HDD back and I gave him his HDD back. My HDD works in my car BUT when power on, each time, I get the same error message but it works after one reboot. Please note however the strange message written at the bottom of the MMCS screen (« mise a jour CDDB » = « CDDB update »). I tried to disconnect the battery during 3 minutes in my car with my HDD. Same error message occurs. Despite the disconnection of the battery, FM radio stations are still registered in the MMCS ( ?). The only thing that changed is the language of the MMCS (switched into English)

And concerning the HDD of my friend back into his car, since a couple of days, it doesn’t work anymore… Still the same error message and nothing more!

Could someone help me to solve the problem occurred on my friend’s HDD? Priority number 1. And then mine?

Thanks a lot in advance!!! I am totally lost to have two problems without knowing how to solve them, and one created to somebody else because of me!

And… Of course, I went to my dealer, but he told me « 800 euros if this is a problem with the HDD or 4200 euros if this is something else and if such, the complete MMCS has to be changed »…

Again, many thanks in advance!

Sabine

Attached Thumbnails MMCS : Error message-photo-1.jpg   MMCS : Error message-photo-1b.jpg   MMCS : Error message-photo-1c.jpg   MMCS : Error message-photo-2.jpg   MMCS : Error message-photo-4.jpg  

Old 11-13-2014, 11:22 AM

Check PM

Old 11-13-2014, 11:26 AM

Sounds like you have corrupt sectors on the HDD. If you can read disk through Linux maybe try to unlock them copy files off so can run a disk repair program.

Jim

Old 11-13-2014, 02:29 PM
HJB

Definately get the versions of the two units from under the joysticks on the bottom right off the front of them e.g. E-01
It may help. Especially if the other is an import as they will have different HDD passwords therefore locking the other out.
But sounds like corruption rather than that.

First read I had a few ideas but will need to read again. The device keeps things in memory using the constant power line into the device. So something corrupted\incorrect has been transferred to the new HDD.
Depowering the device for me is at least 10 minutes to be successful. Vadimus has advised 30 minutes to others in the past.

Things that come to mind at the mo are listed below - but dwell on them for now and don't rush into things

1. Loading file is only read and nothing is saved back to the file so that will be ok.
2. Screen Data etc is only populated when cleared out or an update run - possibly not that
3. The new HDD from your friend sounds like a different model that is why you didn't get all the settings shown
4. CCDB maybe corrupt if you can try and update it - later though after some troubshooting Download MITSUBISHI MOTORS
5. The password if different between the device has security locked the HDD - luckily this is recoverable
6. your device is poked and corrupting hard drives.

Vadimus: Would be good to have your advise on the fourum so we don't screw this up more by giving different advice.

Old 11-13-2014, 07:43 PM

Well, pretty much suspect #1 is HDD. Both HDD failing same time seem of a bit less probability yet it is still quite possible.

I personally had one MMCS HDD died with symptoms just like this - inability to start sometimes fixed by several restarts.

So the solution is to install another HDD, which could be either proper Toshiba GAC series automotive HDD, any PATA 2.5" HDD, or PATA SSD (I went this way).

Old 11-13-2014, 08:50 PM

install another HDD, which could be either proper Toshiba GAC series automotive HDD, any PATA 2.5" HDD, or PATA SSD (
Would be nice to have a source for HDD's to pre-program and install into MMCS's. Where is a good place to buy these as I've checked my local PC suppliers and nothing listed?

Somthing like this work: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Kings...480042152.html

Take it going with a SSD would be more relaible and faster than disk?

Last edited by Benckj; 11-13-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 09:53 PM
HJB

Originally Posted by Vadimus
Well, pretty much suspect #1 is HDD. Both HDD failing same time seem of a bit less probability yet it is still quite possible.
I agree. Also possibly slightly diff issues
@scumont:
Can you confirm the exact message of your friends MMCS with his own HDD installed. I.e. Ring and get him to read it to you and add here.

Old 11-14-2014, 03:15 AM

Shouldn't work at all if they are different region MMCS, from what I can read you didn't do a cold boot - what revision MMCS are they both?

Old 11-14-2014, 03:42 AM
HJB

Originally Posted by scumont
So I decided to read the HDD of my friend with Linux and I failed again
For your friends drive.... Did you connect the drive directly to the computer and not via USB?
If so your Friends drive is most probably security locked.
If you connect again but boot with xboxHDDUnlock boot CD and enter the unlockhd -p <password> you will probably see "Security count expired Yes".
If so there is a fix. so confirm first.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:17 AM

Start by making sure the HDD's are with the right vehicle

Then disconnect battery for 30 mins to be safe put HDD in and reconnect battery - try this on both vehicles. Let me know how you get on..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: MMCS : Error message