Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

2003 Outlander after timing/head job wont start

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:22 PM
Default 2003 Outlander after timing/head job wont start

I have a 2003 Outlander with the 4G64 engine. I bought it with a snapped timing belt. I replaced the timing belt, it didn't start, didn't bother with a compression test, pulled the head put a different remanufactured head on it (had the head and valves reworked here locally) put everything back together and nothing. There is an aftermarket alarm system on the car as well. Its an audiovox, and I believe I am correctly activating the "valet" mode which should allow the vehicle to start, but I'm still getting nothing. I replaced the spark plugs and wires while I was doing everything else. water pipe is leaking (will address that after I can just confirm that the engine is running.) I'm kind of at the limit of what I know to do... and am looking for some help as to what I should check next.

Things I've thought about that it could be please correct me if I'm wrong. Let me know if any of these seem the most likely on a 4g64 engiine.

1. Ignition coil(s)
2. Head not installed properly (havent checked compression)
3. Alarm system malfunction or not properly disabled
4. Fuel (checked at the fuel pressure regulator, fuel is pressurized and getting right up to the fuel rail)
5. Crankshaft position sensor (didn't change it out while I was in there)
6. Some kind of computer problem that relates to the timing chain snapping originally

Please let me know what you would check next. I really want to get this thing running. dont want to give up on it.

Thanks in advance
-F-

Old 11-17-2012, 11:53 AM

one thing dad said long ago, you need three items to get an engine to work. Spark, compression, and fuel. Spark is easy, remove a plug, reconnect it with the coil and hold it against the block/head...watch for spark. While you have it out, you can always check your compression. No clue how to check for fuel!

Any chance to remove the alarm system? Is it a system that disables or just alarms?

Old 11-17-2012, 12:21 PM

I took a look at the alarm system a couple of weeks ago when I started suspecting it. I found out that it is an audiovox, and that it should have a valet disable button (if you don't have the key fob, which i dont). I found the valet disable and depressed it with the key in the on position. A blue light comes on on the dash at that point. From what I've read the alarm kill switch should be disabled at that point. Also from what I've read it is not necessarily an easy task for an amateur to remove one of these alarms. It looks like it was professionally installed. Some of the alarms disable the fuel pump, some disable other systems... There is also a toggle switch that I think is associated with the alarm, it toggles on and off. I've tried starting in all of the configurations possible. I guess my next move will be to get a compression tester and check the spark. I know fuel is getting up to the fuel rail, but I haven't taken the injectors apart. From what a buddy told me that is rarely the problem. The alarm just makes me second guess everything ive already done, so that is a hang up for me. It'll be a few days before I can get back to it. Does anybody know anything about using a code reader? would that possibley be able to give me some direction as well? if so how do I hook one up?

Old 02-22-2013, 02:02 PM
Default Alarm Out no change

I got the alarm removed by a pro, and it did not change a thing. I still am interested in finding out if anyone knows what kind of code reader / how to use a code reader on the 2003 outlander. At this point I can retest for spark (there was no spark when i did test for it) and compression. There are two coils, so it seems unlikely to me that both coils would be bad... but I know it wouldn't be impossible. Electrical problems are not my strong suit. I'm pretty much to the point of having to tow it to a mechanic... Still feel like it is probably something simple I am overlooking or just can't recognize.