Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

New Owner, General Questions

Old 09-14-2014, 10:57 PM
Default New Owner, General Questions

I just purchased a 2012 Outlander GT with 29k miles on the clock for my wife. It's replacing a 2007 Ford Escape Hybrid that was on its last legs. Being the first Mitsubishi I've ever owned, I wasn't sure what to expect, but so far I'm really liking this vehicle. Excellent looks, comfortable ride, amazing handling, and you can't go wrong with the paddle shifters.

The first question I have is if there is a source for owner's manuals? It didn't come with one, and it would be nice to have especially for the specifications section. I'm currently downloading the 2011 Service Manual, but an owner's manual in the glove box would be nice.

Second, is there anything I should be watching out for? Are there any known issues or TSB's I should be aware of? Or are these SUV's built well enough that if it's running right it probably is right?

Thanks in advance, and thanks for operating such a great forum!

Old 09-15-2014, 09:18 AM

Not sure where to get a physical copy of the owner's manual other than a stealership or ebay.

Biggest thing I can say is stay on top of your maintenance. I've had my '07 model since '09/30k miles and have stayed on top of my fluid changes. Knock on wood, I've had a great vehicle that has been low cost to maintain...provided I do the maintenance. The biggest pain in the rear, maintenance-wise, has been the timing belt. My wife has put a lot of highway miles on it, and my oil change interval has been 7.5k miles with full synthetic oil. Funny/handy note on oil changes...I have lost/broken most of the front plastic clips that hold the plastic trim together. Zip ties work extremely well. And if anyone is giving you crap about it...why the hell are they poking their nose under your car!

One very important piece to keep in mind. The '07-'09 Outlander had a 3.0L non-interference engine. Starting with '10, the 6B31 engine filled in the divots on the pistons to increase compression...and increasing horsepower. This now made the engine an interference engine....so changing that timing belt before it snaps (100k miles) became much more important on '10+ models.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:21 PM

You can find your online owners manual by creating an account using your VIN here:

https://www.mitsubishicars.com/owners/my-garage

Old 09-29-2014, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Not sure where to get a physical copy of the owner's manual other than a stealership or ebay.

Biggest thing I can say is stay on top of your maintenance. I've had my '07 model since '09/30k miles and have stayed on top of my fluid changes. Knock on wood, I've had a great vehicle that has been low cost to maintain...provided I do the maintenance. The biggest pain in the rear, maintenance-wise, has been the timing belt. My wife has put a lot of highway miles on it, and my oil change interval has been 7.5k miles with full synthetic oil. Funny/handy note on oil changes...I have lost/broken most of the front plastic clips that hold the plastic trim together. Zip ties work extremely well. And if anyone is giving you crap about it...why the hell are they poking their nose under your car!

One very important piece to keep in mind. The '07-'09 Outlander had a 3.0L non-interference engine. Starting with '10, the 6B31 engine filled in the divots on the pistons to increase compression...and increasing horsepower. This now made the engine an interference engine....so changing that timing belt before it snaps (100k miles) became much more important on '10+ models.
I see you have a 2014 Subaru Impreza on order. Be sure to look out for Oil Consumption issues. I traded my Subaru in for the Outie as it was going to need a short block replacement. Just some food for thought.

More info: Class Action Lawsuit Filed for Subarus Burning Engine Oil

Note: I know the 2014 isn't listed there, but on the NASIOC forums, there is a thread that indicates the 2014 does have the problem as well:

('11-'14) Now its my oil light!!! 2012 impreza - Page 245 - NASIOC