Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Newbie: Help us decide on buying a new Outlander

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 12:36 PM
Default Newbie: Help us decide on buying a new Outlander

We test drove the Outander (7 seater version) and like it. They are offering around 22 K + TTL. We are on the fence, can you please help clarify?
1) Is this a good price for a 2014 Outlander now that the 2015 is out?
2) Considering the hype of other brands (Toyota, Honda etc), how reliable has the Outlander been to you? Is there any issue you can help us be aware of?

Appreciate your response. We plan to decide soon.

Cheers!

Old 10-01-2014, 01:44 PM

We bought our '07 in '09 with 30k on the clock. We've kept the maintenance up on it and it has been a very reliable vehicle so far. It has been great. We chose it over the CRV and whatever toyota was offering.

Having said that, check out Subaru. They have some pretty good vehicles to offer as well. we just picked up an Impreza, with safety/fuel efficiency/ease of maintenance/price in mind.

Old 10-03-2014, 07:48 AM
Red face

Originally Posted by ccernst
We bought our '07 in '09 with 30k on the clock. We've kept the maintenance up on it and it has been a very reliable vehicle so far. It has been great. We chose it over the CRV and whatever toyota was offering.

Having said that, check out Subaru. They have some pretty good vehicles to offer as well. we just picked up an Impreza, with safety/fuel efficiency/ease of maintenance/price in mind.
Thank you ver much for your reply. Glad that your 07 has turned out to be reliable. It is a Japanese car and I did read about some people even having 200k on these. We are looking for a third row as well which we like to use when our parents are around at times. Subaru Tribeca as I understand is the only one with third row seat and is being discontinued. So is the case with Mazda 5.

Any comments on the price from anyone? Any other experiences? Thanks you and appreciate your help?

Last edited by nandanmv; 10-03-2014 at 07:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-04-2014, 06:51 AM

Without trim package info, we won't be able to talk much about pricing. Looking on autotrader in my area, the cheapest web-pricing was 24k on a new 2WD ES trim, which I think has the smaller 2.4L engine. I haven't driven one with the smaller engine, but those who have really prefer the 3.0L in the full size Outlander. Also, not sure where you live, but the 4WD is great on the snow and makes acceleration very nice on dry pavement compared to 2WD. Mine is AWD and if I drive around town in 2WD mode, I get a lot of what feels like bucking in the front end. AWD smoothes that out quite a bit with negligible hit to fuel efficiency.

I've read from others that the outlander third row is a pretty light duty use...pretty much only to be used by children. the seats are near the floor, so you'd be cramped if an adult had long legs. I never had the third row in mine, so wouldn't know first hand, just what I've read.

I bought mine used during the recession. it was kinda sad at the dealership. we were their only customers on a saturday. we paid 16.5k in feb of '09 with 30k miles on the clock and they gave us 4k for trade in, so it was a hell of a deal.

When I was shopping for my Impreza, I let the dealerships get into a price war between them. Since I didn't need it right away, I just kept going back to each sales guy and said, I have "x" from the other dealership....can you beat it? I made it clear up front that I didn't care who I was buying from. I ended up with invoice pricing within a week of occasional emails. The finance guy was a veteran and saw my wife is a doctor at one of the local VAs...so we got a little more honey on top of the deal.

Old 10-06-2014, 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Without trim package info, we won't be able to talk much about pricing. Looking on autotrader in my area, the cheapest web-pricing was 24k on a new 2WD ES trim, which I think has the smaller 2.4L engine. I haven't driven one with the smaller engine, but those who have really prefer the 3.0L in the full size Outlander. Also, not sure where you live, but the 4WD is great on the snow and makes acceleration very nice on dry pavement compared to 2WD. Mine is AWD and if I drive around town in 2WD mode, I get a lot of what feels like bucking in the front end. AWD smoothes that out quite a bit with negligible hit to fuel efficiency.

I've read from others that the outlander third row is a pretty light duty use...pretty much only to be used by children. the seats are near the floor, so you'd be cramped if an adult had long legs. I never had the third row in mine, so wouldn't know first hand, just what I've read.

I bought mine used during the recession. it was kinda sad at the dealership. we were their only customers on a saturday. we paid 16.5k in feb of '09 with 30k miles on the clock and they gave us 4k for trade in, so it was a hell of a deal.

When I was shopping for my Impreza, I let the dealerships get into a price war between them. Since I didn't need it right away, I just kept going back to each sales guy and said, I have "x" from the other dealership....can you beat it? I made it clear up front that I didn't care who I was buying from. I ended up with invoice pricing within a week of occasional emails. The finance guy was a veteran and saw my wife is a doctor at one of the local VAs...so we got a little more honey on top of the deal.
Thanks. I am in Dallas and the trim we are looking is the SE (not AWD). Thanks for all the tips. Glad you got a great deal.