Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

No voice to text in Mitsu with Android phone??

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 12:41 AM
Default No voice to text in Mitsu with Android phone??

So I finally give up on Verizon coming out with the Windows 10 update or a new Windows 10 phone, and get the new HTC 10 (android system)
I get the phone paired and I'm getting used to it's function but really missing the simplicity yet super computer function of my Windows phone.
I wasn't getting texts coming through to my blue tooth in the car, so I goto Verizon, they can't help, blame dealer, go to dealer, we try everything. They say we've never seen one work like that, I say your kidding. I pair my wifes Windows phone, send her a text and the car responds like it used to. It says through my speaker, "You got a text from ****, would you like to read it, or ignore". I say "read it", then the car reads me the text and says, "Reply, Call Back, or I'm done". I say "I'm done", and it goes back to radio.
The guys are holding their mouths open like "Holy Crap, your car can read texts to you"??? So I ask why can't my "new" phone do it? They say maybe my new phone is to advanced, they look up some Mitsubishi Fuse, consumer link and find that it's only something with Window's phones that can do this.

Are you kidding me??? Can anyone verify this?
Does anyone else get texts spoken to them in their car via blue tooth, just like they are able to get calls?
I'm SOOOOOO disappointed in my NEW phone. I miss my Windows ICON, if anyone knows a fix or app for this, please post. This doesn't seem legit that this function wouldn't work; both the car and the phone are 2016's .

Old 07-18-2016, 11:40 AM

Hi Krakker, you are one of the 3 people who have a windows phone. JK. We use iphones predominantly in my family and never knew about this function either. We get calls, play music, get directions, etc. on our phone, but the automatic text reading sounds like it's a phone specific feature. Anything that your phone puts through the phone speaker can be sent to the car via bluetooth. This means your phone has to initiate this communication. I've been using iphones since the early days and I've never seen or heard of a function that has it read texts without me prompting it. I can do it with Siri, but I've never seen a setting that just has it automatically read a text. Since android has copied virtually all of the iphone's features, I assume they don't have this feature either. You would need to use the "hey google" feature as well. I do have a couple of android devices lying around and they don't have that feature from what I can see. Since android phones are so varied, it's possible a phone or two has it in their proprietary overlay over the android os, but I haven't heard of it. So as a work around, you can just "hey google...read new texts".

Old 07-18-2016, 12:32 PM

Windows phone only has like 3-5% marketshare. You're an extreme minority which is why the dealer never heard of this, so i don't blame them. This is a function built into windows phone, not the car's bluetooth system.

My recommendation is to upgrade your head unit to an android auto unit. They are pushing under $400 now. I just bought a pioneer 4200 nex myself. The added advantage is you can control and select playlists in your music apps with the head unit, instead of trying to pick up your phone and selecting another playlist.

I found the patent on this, filed in 2006 and granted in 2009, then debuted on windows phone 7 in 2010. It's possible microsoft has an exclusivity agreement for the patent for a few years. Which is why iOS and android can't do it the same way.
https://worldwide.espacenet.com/publ...26&DB=&locale=

Last edited by gggplaya; 07-18-2016 at 12:41 PM.
Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 PM

That whole patent thing sucks.
Windows phones are bigger in EU, and honestly after now having and android, I cant imagine how they didn't take more share here unless it was the late offering or lack of marketing for them. Talk about a simple and fast phone, windows 8 was quicker than my new HTC 10 hands down.

I really miss this feature in the car tho. I can't help by think how many accidents or lives would be safer if this was a standard function in all phones. a patent on something that can save lives is worth sharing IMO. We all know that with texts, etc, some twits are still gonna pick up their phone to look or respond. I liked being able to have it announced I had it, and from who and if I wanted to read it or ignore. And the option to respond, call back, or I'm done.
I"ve tried 2 different apps, "drivesafely" and "automate", none of them work on the 14 or 16 Big O, and neither does the wifes new Samsung S7.
major bummer. My daughter has an after market unit in the Jeep, and her new S7 won't do the text thing now also. We really miss the windows phone, but with them not releasing the W10 update and not offering anymore of them (something about them going to strictly business phones I think) we bit the bullet and made the switch. Now we've got windows remorse. lol We need an app developer for this.!!!!!

Old 07-19-2016, 07:56 AM

Not all aftermarket headunits have android auto or apple carplay. It's a very new thing, they only started selling them in 2015.

Here's how text messages work on android auto, you have to press on the text to get it to read out. Probably how they got around the patent.

The JBL CP100 will be the cheapest android auto unit at $400(no CD player), but you can get a pioneer 4100nex for a little more if you shop around.

Old 07-19-2016, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Krakker
That whole patent thing sucks.
Windows phones are bigger in EU, and honestly after now having and android, I cant imagine how they didn't take more share here unless it was the late offering or lack of marketing for them. Talk about a simple and fast phone, windows 8 was quicker than my new HTC 10 hands down.
Slight tangent, but you asked! I've heard good things about Windows phones from the few of you who've used them. I've always liked the Windows 8/10 OS myself and see how it would be great on a mobile device. Unfortunately, you can blame Steve Ballmer for being a dumbass and saying iOS was stupid and for being late for the party after realizing years later that he was too proud to admit being wrong. Otherwise, we could've had a 3rd option out there to push technology. There's a good reason he was pushed out. Old school thinking hampers a tech company. Windows phones are big in EU due to ill conceived ownership stake in Nokia. Ballmer was easily the worst CEO Microsoft has had, maybe among his competitor peers too. Direct your annoyance to him. You can find him and his billions at Clippers games now.

Old 07-29-2016, 07:10 AM

I finally abandoned windows phones after hanging with them all the way since windows 7 - 7.5 mobile OS. The one thing I truly miss is the text to speech feature you are talking about. I love having all the apps I used to miss, but man, I wish it would read me my texts.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:56 PM

Well, at least Andriod and Apple are coming full circle. Android auto and apple carplay are excellent and will be awesome in the future when they have more apps. But you can hear your texts now with both car OS's. Most new cars coming out next year will have them, including mitsubishi.

I've been enjoying apple carplay.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by gggplaya
I've been enjoying apple carplay.
I'm sure you mentioned this somewhere but my memory is failing me. Which carplay option did you go with? Know if the Mitsubishi oem option is/will be available?

Old 07-30-2016, 12:35 PM

The Android Auto/Apple Carplay option is supposed to be out on 2017 Mitsubishi models, there are already demo's showing it on youtube.

I bought the Pioneer 4200 NEX specifically because it's the only head unit that allows me to play movies from an SD card or USB stick to a rear headrest monitor. This is important to me as a father, as it makes my life so much easier. I no longer have to keep popping in and out DVDs, and waiting for the dvd menu, then selecting the movie etc.... I just click on the file list, and click on the movie, done....

The downfall is i can't use apple carplay and play a movie at the same time. Which means i still have to use a standalone GPS unit, but that's only on long trips, it doesn't bother me.