Go Back   Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums > Mitsubishi Models > Mitsubishi Outlander
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to the Mitsubishi Forum - Mitsubishi Enthusiast Forums.
If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-27-2010, 08:58 AM

Default Oem hitch vs aftermarket hitch

Hello,
Could someone explain what is the different between a factory installed hitch vs a aftermarket hitch. The factory hitch is bolt on with 4 bolts on each side on the frame and is towing capacity is 350 pounds on the hitch and 3500 pounds towing capacity and is rated Class II. (Mitsubishi hitch is not suppose to be use with weight distributing bars) ....
Explain me why a aftermarket hitch that is bolt with 3 bolts on the frame at the same place of the OEM HITCH could support 400 pounds and a towing capacity of 4000 pound and some of them could use weight distributing bars and rating Class III. If you have a aftermarket hitch look under the Outie to see how much bolts is screw to hold the hitch (pictures would be great) so I could compare with mine. I have a factory hitch installed on my 2008 Outlander XLS and now I would like to tow a travel trailer with weight distributing bar and it seem I would have to change my hitch because he is not rated for use with weight distributing bar ???? Anyone now who is the factory who built for Mitsubishi there OEM hitch ? Waiting for your answer because now I don't no what to do.....Thank you!
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on MitsubishiForum!
Old 07-27-2010, 09:01 AM

I also have the OEM hitch. I wrote RV Lifestyle Magazine and asked the same basic question. They told me to remember that towing capacities are set by marketing departments, not engineers. The OEM will never sell an accessory that contradicts the official vehicle ratings. The sticker on your hitch is basically a copy of what your manual says.

They recommended a Hensley hitch www.hensleymfg.com

They should be able to give you sound advice.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Default hensley

I would think a hensley is overkill for most trailers the outlander is rated to pull. They are big $$$. A decent reese setup will work great:

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ese/66041.html

The curt attaches with 3 bolts on either side and is also bolted to the towing eye under the bumper. I don't actually think the towing eye attachment is what makes it WD, but probably adds a bit of stability. The most important and useful item, when it comes to towing, is a good brake controller:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-90185.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by bender031177 View Post
I also have the OEM hitch. I wrote RV Lifestyle Magazine and asked the same basic question. They told me to remember that towing capacities are set by marketing departments, not engineers. The OEM will never sell an accessory that contradicts the official vehicle ratings. The sticker on your hitch is basically a copy of what your manual says.

They recommended a Hensley hitch www.hensleymfg.com

They should be able to give you sound advice.

Last edited by tcp; 07-27-2010 at 10:57 AM. Reason: mo info
Old 07-27-2010, 10:55 AM

Tags
07, 2005, aftermarket, endeavor, equipment, factory, hitch, hitches, mitsubishi, oem, original, outlander, reese, tow, trailer