Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oem hitch vs aftermarket hitch

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 07:58 AM
Default Oem hitch vs aftermarket hitch

Hello,
Could someone explain what is the different between a factory installed hitch vs a aftermarket hitch. The factory hitch is bolt on with 4 bolts on each side on the frame and is towing capacity is 350 pounds on the hitch and 3500 pounds towing capacity and is rated Class II. (Mitsubishi hitch is not suppose to be use with weight distributing bars) ....
Explain me why a aftermarket hitch that is bolt with 3 bolts on the frame at the same place of the OEM HITCH could support 400 pounds and a towing capacity of 4000 pound and some of them could use weight distributing bars and rating Class III. If you have a aftermarket hitch look under the Outie to see how much bolts is screw to hold the hitch (pictures would be great) so I could compare with mine. I have a factory hitch installed on my 2008 Outlander XLS and now I would like to tow a travel trailer with weight distributing bar and it seem I would have to change my hitch because he is not rated for use with weight distributing bar ???? Anyone now who is the factory who built for Mitsubishi there OEM hitch ? Waiting for your answer because now I don't no what to do.....Thank you!

Old 07-27-2010, 08:01 AM

I also have the OEM hitch. I wrote RV Lifestyle Magazine and asked the same basic question. They told me to remember that towing capacities are set by marketing departments, not engineers. The OEM will never sell an accessory that contradicts the official vehicle ratings. The sticker on your hitch is basically a copy of what your manual says.

They recommended a Hensley hitch www.hensleymfg.com

They should be able to give you sound advice.

Old 07-27-2010, 09:55 AM
tcp
Default hensley

I would think a hensley is overkill for most trailers the outlander is rated to pull. They are big $$$. A decent reese setup will work great:

http://www.etrailer.com/Weight-Distr...ese/66041.html

The curt attaches with 3 bolts on either side and is also bolted to the towing eye under the bumper. I don't actually think the towing eye attachment is what makes it WD, but probably adds a bit of stability. The most important and useful item, when it comes to towing, is a good brake controller:

http://www.etrailer.com/p-90185.html

Originally Posted by bender031177
I also have the OEM hitch. I wrote RV Lifestyle Magazine and asked the same basic question. They told me to remember that towing capacities are set by marketing departments, not engineers. The OEM will never sell an accessory that contradicts the official vehicle ratings. The sticker on your hitch is basically a copy of what your manual says.

They recommended a Hensley hitch www.hensleymfg.com

They should be able to give you sound advice.

Last edited by tcp; 07-27-2010 at 09:57 AM. Reason: mo info
Old 08-06-2020, 02:22 PM

Folks, I fitted a hitch to a 07 AWD Outlander & was expecting to splice in the cables to the existing brake/turn/light wires when I spotted a few spare connectors. Lo & Behold I think I found the connector I need, only thing is I unintentionally managed to remove the wires from the connector on harness when checking it out. I've scoured the Net for a schematic but there is nothing for the tow harness connectors. Is there anyone one out there who could tell me the wiring pin out for the connector again so I can re-insert the wires into the correct pin locations on connector. Or if someone wouldn't mind taking a picture of their connector with wires inserted. Its the large white connector on back right well as you look from the back. I have ordered the oem harness & would like to put is as per designed.

I'd appreciate it big time if someone could help out. Hopefully I'll get a result. Take Care everyone.

Old 08-13-2020, 01:46 PM