Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil Filter Location?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:26 PM
Default Oil Filter Location?

I've been searching for the filter but couldn't find it.

Do you know where the oil filter is?

Old 01-16-2008, 02:31 PM
Default RE: Oil Filter Location?

On the V6 it's on the right front of the engine.

Old 01-16-2008, 05:10 PM

do i have to go under my car to find out the oil filter? I thought it was just on top under the hood

Old 01-16-2008, 06:58 PM

Is A LOT easier to change it from the ground (under the car) than from the hood. Is in a tight space, and the oil filter will face the ground. What that means is that when you take it off, is easier to do so under, since is facing you. If you do it on the hood, you will have to take it off in a very tight space, plus is opposide sides of you. I'm not sure if you can even do it on the hood.

SR

Old 01-16-2008, 07:23 PM

From the ground is the easier way. You will have to let the oil pour out onto a small metal spout thing that directs the oil out. Pretty dumb way it was done and really messy.

Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 PM

thanks bros

Old 01-17-2008, 07:45 PM

ORIGINAL: antlip

From the ground is the easier way. You will have to let the oil pour out onto a small metal spout thing that directs the oil out. Pretty dumb way it was done and really messy.
I found the metal "funnel" to work quite well.The oil drained off of it right into my drain pan when I removed my filter. Did you have the front end jacked up or on ramps when you did your oil change? I could see it making a mess if you had the front of the car up higher than the back as most shade tree mechanics have to do it. I was able to change the oil with out jacking it up thus keeping the vehicle level. It is a tight fit, but not a big deal.
If you want a real mess, try changing the oil on a gen2 CR-V. They make a heck of a mess unless you buy a specialtool from Honda to keep the oil from running down into the front subframe.

Old 01-19-2008, 11:13 AM

I have the front jacked up until I get the filter loosened and then of course put it back down and take it all the way off. But my main problem is once you have it off oil spills out of the filter. It just lands on some other metal plates no big deal, you just have to wipe oil off your car. The litlte metal spout thing works great though. They could of just put the filter in a better spot. On the work vans, the oil filter is on the bottom with nothing under it. So you unscrew and drop in the pan.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:19 AM

I will agree that it is in a difficult position to remove. Not much room to get to it from the bottom due to the plastic trays covering much of the front end. It looked like too much work to take off the plastic tray, so I manage to squeeze my arm up in from the bottom while laying on my back and get it off without much mess. The trick is to lossen it and letit drain while still attached, then once the oil flow has slowed down, take it of, and turn it 90 degrees so that the theads are towards the top and the oil can not run out until you have it over your drain pan. I make far less of a mess on my Outlander changing the oil than on most other vehicles that I have owned. I do the whole oil change without jacking up the vehicle at all. There is just enough clearance for me to get under it and do what I need to do.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:44 PM

The factory puts that filter on really tight.. I had to go buy some channel locks to get it off.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Location?