Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Oil pan gasket and oil change

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 12:45 PM
Default Oil pan gasket and oil change

Recently changed my oil at Dixie Mitsubishi.

They charged me for part #MD050317 - Oil pan gasket.

Is it OK - I mean, is this gasket single-use? Not a big money, but want to be sure.

Is such invoice OK for 6000 kms service?

Old 11-25-2010, 12:51 PM

They say it is single use, but I went through 4 oil changes with the same one and it was fine.....

Old 11-25-2010, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by newoutlanderfan
They say it is single use, but I went through 4 oil changes with the same one and it was fine.....
If no leaks with old one than that's common everyday rip-off.

By the way, can I service at shop of my choice, like Mr.Lube, and keep the warranty?

Old 11-25-2010, 01:15 PM

Just keep all your receipt and you should be fine !

Old 11-25-2010, 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by roach
Just keep all your receipt and you should be fine !
Thanks, Roach!

Several question to experienced Canadian Mitsu owner - do I have to stick with 6000 Severe Maintenance schedule, or it is up to me to go for 12000?

And can I go to my fellow mechanic for other scheduled works - like servicing brakes or belts? Any specific Mitsu-issued certificates required?

Old 11-25-2010, 03:22 PM

Fished that quote from a P.E.I chat board after they lost the only Mitsubishi dealer on the Island.
http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18227

In short
Warranty work Mitsu dealer.
Maintenance anywhere reputable but follow their recommended schedule and keep receipts.

Attached Thumbnails Oil pan gasket and oil change-capture.jpg   Oil pan gasket and oil change-capture1.jpg  
Old 11-25-2010, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by Claude_A
Fished that quote from a P.E.I chat board after they lost the only Mitsubishi dealer on the Island.
http://www.peiinfo.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=18227

In short
Warranty work Mitsu dealer.
Maintenance anywhere reputable but follow their recommended schedule and keep receipts.
Thanks, Claude_A!
Now I am saved from money-thirsty dealer.

I wish my mechanic has MUT-III. At least he promises to get device capable of re-programming new TPMS sensors on winter set of wheels.

Old 11-26-2010, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
I wish my mechanic has MUT-III. At least he promises to get device capable of re-programming new TPMS sensors on winter set of wheels.
If your mechanic picks up these tools to service Mitsu vehicles send me a private message to let me know. I'd be interested in knowing a good mechanic in Mississauga.

As for service; that is your 6k oil change (A level service). 12k (B level) has more inspections and runs about $115 with the oil change. 18k is just a regular oil change like the 6k. The 24k/1 year (C level maybe?) is a big one ~$220 with more inspections and engine air filter.

Bring the vehicle in for inspections now and then if you don't get it serviced at the dealership and any time the transmission fluid needs to be changed as it is a specific fluid and I would just make a mess trying to do it myself every 2 years/48k km. The dealers fluid changer machines are way more efficient than the flush and fill method described in the manual for an expensive fluid. Normal shops use additives to bring the base transmission fluid up to spec - that's not good enough for the outlanders transmission.

I'd stick with 6k service intervals until the vehicle is out of warranty. Your call though.

Buy the oil filter from parts department the day of the oil change to prove your oil change was done on that day - keep receipts if you have it done somewhere else. You can probably negotiate a discount if you get to know the guys at the parts desk - for air filters and other parts too. Put your email in the dealers system to get specials and discount offers after filling in questionnaires about their service.

I'd reuse a rubber gasket on the oil plug, but the metal crush ones I replace for the minimal cost.

I've been happy with Joe at Dixie service. They do a pretty good job for a dealership and are happy to talk about the vehicles when they aren't running around answering the phones.

I'm driving an '09 XLS.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by nesser
If your mechanic picks up these tools to service Mitsu vehicles send me a private message to let me know. I'd be interested in knowing a good mechanic in Mississauga.

As for service; that is your 6k oil change (A level service). 12k (B level) has more inspections and runs about $115 with the oil change. 18k is just a regular oil change like the 6k. The 24k/1 year (C level maybe?) is a big one ~$220 with more inspections and engine air filter.

Bring the vehicle in for inspections now and then if you don't get it serviced at the dealership and any time the transmission fluid needs to be changed as it is a specific fluid and I would just make a mess trying to do it myself every 2 years/48k km. The dealers fluid changer machines are way more efficient than the flush and fill method described in the manual for an expensive fluid. Normal shops use additives to bring the base transmission fluid up to spec - that's not good enough for the outlanders transmission.

I'd stick with 6k service intervals until the vehicle is out of warranty. Your call though.

Buy the oil filter from parts department the day of the oil change to prove your oil change was done on that day - keep receipts if you have it done somewhere else. You can probably negotiate a discount if you get to know the guys at the parts desk - for air filters and other parts too. Put your email in the dealers system to get specials and discount offers after filling in questionnaires about their service.

I'd reuse a rubber gasket on the oil plug, but the metal crush ones I replace for the minimal cost.

I've been happy with Joe at Dixie service. They do a pretty good job for a dealership and are happy to talk about the vehicles when they aren't running around answering the phones.

I'm driving an '09 XLS.
Well, actually my mechanic is not in Mississauga, it is 1001 Weston Rd (Weston Rd and Jane, near the beginning of Black Creek Dr). I will let you know once he gets this service tool (actually he already has it, but he needs a new data card with updated data for it).

During my first visit to Dixie Mitsu I was introduced to Mark, a service dept man, he even gave me his business card. What a disappointment when he ignored several emails I sent to him regarding some of my issues.
Joe is quite helpful though.

I am kind of techy person by myself, so no way I would ruin my transmission changing oil to generic instead of highly special one.

I also have 2005 Ford Freestyle, with a German-designed CVT transmission. When changing the oil at 100,000 kms, we took the Service Manual, and everything was done exactly as it tells. Very special, unique oil, very tricky procedure (even controlling oil temp precisely by 1C). Unlike my mechanic OFFICIAL dealership (Yorkdale Ford, to be exact) was not only asking about $200 more, but also was going to skip high pressure filter replacement (Oh, we've servicing such transmission for over 20 year, and never replace that filter, you will be fine without that! - Yeah, 20 years of servicing of 2005-developed CVTs, no thanks guys!)
So my mechanic was more professional than at the dedicated Ford dealership.

My email is in their database, I complete their surveys. They sent me coupon for parts and accessories for completing their surveys (expired on September despite I've bought my car in October, service was on November).
Fancy way to say "Thank you", isn't it?

So, let's see. Now I have only unresolved issue - my driver's seat is a little bit loose if not set to the top position. Joe told me that's OK for the power seat, and even shown me the same issue on Out in demo room. I am still not fully convinced. Maybe that's not my car's but generic defect?

So right now I see no use of overpaying the Dixie Mitsu for their service. I don't care if they do pay for used oil disposal. Everyone providing such service does, but why do I have to know their internal expenses? Show me the final price letting me to compare. When I charge my clients, (I am IT admin) I tell them the final price without cheating with any operational expenses. Oil change is $42 before taxes - OK, honestly show this price!

Old 11-26-2010, 11:30 AM

My Outlander didn't even have this gasket from the factory.

Quick Reply: Oil pan gasket and oil change