Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

OK to Swap Factory NAV for Factory Stereo?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2008, 12:12 AM
Default OK to Swap Factory NAV for Factory Stereo?

I want to purchase a 2008 Outlander SE without NAV (not willing to pay $1,700 for it as an installed option) but my dealer only has one that came with it. But they said they can swap out the factory NAV for the regular stereo head unit and sell it to me w/o NAV. I'm considering doing this since the SEs are hard to come by right now. But I'm wondering if doing so would affect anything else about the car - making it different than how it's supposed to come w/o NAV from the factory? The car also has the Bluetooth option installed, would this be affected by removing the MMCS?

I'm hoping someone who is knowledgeable about the NAV would know.

Thanks

Old 02-26-2008, 01:07 AM
Default RE: OK to Swap Factory NAV for Factory Stereo?

I have updated from RF 6 CD to Nav, just needed a little can setting.. Going backwards should be no prob.

You loose the Server, Nav and some setting that you are able to do via the nav setup (doors, beeps to mention a few).

If you dont have the RF (Rockford Sound), the radios will work directly to the speakers. Again this is in the CAN settings.
If you do to the radio, you will get RDS for FM and not able to see the RED display during brite sun light. You also might get the famous adio bug (low and hi tone change).
The change means they need to replace the front panel from a hole to a Radio Faceplate. Im sure you can find many avail from ppl like me who have updated.
The NAV is avail new from as low as 1700 and hi as 2200 and the front panel and CAN unit about 350.
And above all, its easy to do... Less than 1 hr. ( I prep mine and did most of it while waiting for wife to get out of work. And yes, I did it as I was driving too)
Could not wait..

Old

Old 02-26-2008, 02:01 PM

Ok I think a just found a big reason not to do this. Someone at Mitsubishi's 888 customer service number told me that if the dealer swaps the MMCS out for the factory stereo then Mitsubishi's factory warranty would be voided on the installed stereo since that's not the way the car came from the factory - even though it's a Mitsubishi part. Does that sound right to you guys?

Old 02-26-2008, 06:02 PM

If a dealer does it, it should be covered.. If you do it, thats another issue.

I would double check it.. Sounds like an off the cuff answer.

Reason is, Why would they sell an upgrade if your not gonna get a warranty?
If you purchase it, and its an original equipment, I would guess it should be covered.

Old

Old 02-26-2008, 06:28 PM

The dealer confirmed that the stereo would only be warranted by them. It does seem backwards to me. But turns out this is a really big deal because if I had any problems with the stereo within the 6 year/60k mile bumper-to-bumper warranty then I would have to bring it back to them for service - even if I lived across the country! Unfortunately that won't work for me - I'm comfortable having Mitsubishi stand behind their product but not one individual dealer.