Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2007 recall for Crossmember repair turns into maintenance nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 04:33 PM
Default Outlander 2007 recall for Crossmember repair turns into maintenance nightmare

So what turned into a free repair on a recall to have the crossmember replaced on an Outlander 2007 XLS (95k miles) turned into an estimate for $4785 dollars in repairs and maintenance. I would appreciate if anyone can let me know which services they feel are necessary and which are not, are the costs of each in the correct range for the fix and which I can DIY myself.

Recommended fixes
  1. Power Steering High Pressure Hose $875
  2. Power Steering Flush $139
  3. Transcooler w/hose $1125 (what is this?)
  4. Timing Belt / Drive Belt $689
  5. Brake Flush $139

Optional
  • Spark Plugs $520
  • Emission Service $189 (what is this?)
  • Passenger Side Axle Seal $275 (claims there is a leak)
  • AWD Service @245
  • Air Filter and PCV $105
  • Transmission Service $230
  • Repair Heat Shield $75
  • Engine Cover loose / Resecure $69

I appreciate any input, the mechanic obviously tried to scare me into doing the repairs. But I was just blown away by the service they provided. Do you think that the shop caused any of these issues (I'd hate to think they were so low)?

Old 09-14-2016, 11:08 PM

Run Away from that shop.

At 95k miles, you need to do timing belt, spark plugs. If you haven't been doing your maintenence, you should also have brake fluid flushed, transmission flushed, transfer case fluid changed, rear differential fluid changed.

The power steering hose only needs replacing if leaking...but shouldn't be that much.

At this point, you are out of warranty...ant shop will be able to service the vehicle. Avoid the stealership like the plague.

Old 09-15-2016, 02:58 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by goindimon
So what turned into a free repair on a recall to have the crossmember replaced on an Outlander 2007 XLS (95k miles) turned into an estimate for $4785 dollars in repairs and maintenance. I would appreciate if anyone can let me know which services they feel are necessary and which are not, are the costs of each in the correct range for the fix and which I can DIY myself.

Recommended fixes
  5. Brake Flush $139

Optional
  • Spark Plugs $520
  • AWD Service @245
  • Repair Heat Shield $75

I appreciate any input, the mechanic obviously tried to scare me into doing the repairs. But I was just blown away by the service they provided. Do you think that the shop caused any of these issues (I'd hate to think they were so low)?

Did they ever fix the recall?

Old 09-15-2016, 08:38 AM

Recommended fixes
  5. Brake Flush $139

Optional
  • Spark Plugs $520
  • AWD Service @245
  • Repair Heat Shield $75

Just some food for thought:
PS Pressure Hose - $322 just for part (PRESSURE HOSE for 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander|4455A017) Even at $425 retail price, they are charging another $450 in labor...at $90/hr, they are stating it takes 5 hours...doubt it.
PS flush - I have a write up on this. Buy yourself a floor jack and some PS fluid...for the same money, you now have a floor jack! *I used a wine bottle...I recommend polishing off the wine the night before...not right before!
Transcooler - I would have this double checked. unless you've got a hole knocked in it (very hard to do) or somehow got a line kinked...really doubt this needs to be replaced.

Emission Service - I think this is where they put a bottle of fuel injector cleaner in your gas tank....which costs at best $10 in a parts store.

Passenger side axle seal - ...maybe. I had a driver's side rear diff output seal go bad. It only cost $8, but did have to remove the wheel/hub/cv shaft to get to it...then it was a paint to seat properly. It still weeps a bit because the CV shaft is actually pretty worn around the seal....but not enough to actually make it drip.

I'm a big fan of NAPA auto repair shops. They are independent owners that source their parts from NAPA and their work is 2yr warrantied, nationwide.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
Did they ever fix the recall?
Yes SERPENTOR, that was the only positive piece of news I received that day.

Old 09-15-2016, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Run Away from that shop.

At 95k miles, you need to do timing belt, spark plugs. If you haven't been doing your maintenence, you should also have brake fluid flushed, transmission flushed, transfer case fluid changed, rear differential fluid changed.

The power steering hose only needs replacing if leaking...but shouldn't be that much.

At this point, you are out of warranty...ant shop will be able to service the vehicle. Avoid the stealership like the plague.
Thanks ccernst,

Of the items that you recommended to get serviced, would you consider any DIY.

Thanks

Old 09-15-2016, 03:18 PM

Thanks ccernst,

Of the items that you recommended to get serviced, would you consider any DIY.

Thanks
All depends on tools on hand and your comfort level.
Ps is easy, but you have to jack up the front so you can turn the wheels and pump old fluid out. You also need to know which hose is return line and rout that to a container with engine on.
Tranny flush is easy...I have a write up on it.
Tcase and rear differential is easy as long as you have a cheap fluid pump. 75w90 and remove fill plugs first.
Brake fluid can be easy. I built my own setup using a vacuum hand pump and a glass jar as a collection point.
To save on some money, you could do front plugs yourself and have a mechanic do the rears. Rears involve removal of upper intake plenum.
Do take timing belt to mechanic. Also, replace the power steering pump belt and the accessory belt. They have to come off anyway.

Old 09-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Thumbs up

Yes SERPENTOR, that was the only positive piece of news I received that day.
Good to hear! Did they replace the crossmember or just slap some goop on it like in my case lol.

All in all I would get a second opinion from Firestone, Pepboys etc.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
All in all I would get a second opinion from Firestone, Pepboys etc.
Firestone and Pepboys will do the exact same thing the dealer did as far as a doomsday inspection of your vehicle's needs. They're trained to as part of their sales process. His best bet is an independent (ethical) mechanic with a background in Japanese cars.

Old 09-17-2016, 04:23 PM

Thanks to all the recommendations. I will get some estimates from a reputable (lol) mechanic for the timing belt, drive belt, power steering pump belt and the accessory belt. I will consider doing the fluid changes (definitely brake, and PS fluid, and will consider TCase and rear differential).

Quick Reply: Outlander 2007 recall for Crossmember repair turns into maintenance nightmare