Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander 2007 recall for Crossmember repair turns into maintenance nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 01:21 AM
Talking

Originally Posted by goindimon
Thanks to all the recommendations. I will get some estimates from a reputable (lol) mechanic for the timing belt, drive belt, power steering pump belt and the accessory belt. I will consider doing the fluid changes (definitely brake, and PS fluid, and will consider TCase and rear differential).

Did they replace the crossmember or just slap some goop on it like in my case lol?

Old 09-26-2016, 01:48 PM

Hey,

In my opinion, they are ripping you off.

A local dealer tried to do the same to me when I went in for an insection (just before the recall came out). They even gave me a tour while the car was on the hoist. They were asking close to 8000. The salesman was nice enough to offer me 500 for the car as is if i would trade it in on a new one. I told him I would not buy another if this is normal for an 8 year old car. A lot of the repairs they recommended to me were bogus. I would recommend you go to a good mechanic that you trust.

The only issue you may encounter is that some parts are only available from Mitsubishi. In those cases, the internet is your friend for parts if you have time. RCHill and rockauto are always good to me. Aftermarket parts are your best bet. Some are cheaper but are better in quality. Most will likely outlive an 8 year old car.

I did a bunch of work you noted for a lot less, about 1500. Lower control arms (done but not really needed right away), front stab links (one was broken), 2 leaking (from corrossion) high pressure pipes, rear axle seal leak, bulbs, filters, etc.

Any related fluids to the work was also replaced as part of the job. Do not pay twice...

I remember doing my Battery, Plugs, air filter, PVC for cheap using NGK, purolator etc. myself. It is easy (check out youtube). Engine cover likely needs a new screw from lowes. I changed the $80 bulb in the rear bumper marker for about 5 bucks - I only put in LEDs when a bulb goes out as I don't want to do it again if I can help it.

Now I need to find aftermarket springs as my rear end is sagging... Anybody have any ideas for a north american V6 - 2008?

Old 09-27-2016, 05:29 PM
Default Thanks to all who replied

Thanks to all who replied and gave me their opinions on this dealership. WOnt be going to them for anything but maybe to buy parts.

So since this writing I have bled my brakes, replace the power steering fluid, changed out the pcv, changed the air and cabin filters. Would have done the plugs but saw that it was a job getting to the rear 3 plugs. Still may consider it though. Gonna consider the timing belt when I get some reasonable quotes.

Love this forum!

Old 12-06-2016, 10:47 AM

Wow what a nightmare! Is this the recall that only applies to cars from Northern states, rust from salt on the roads? I'm in South Texas, hope I don't have to go through this too.

Old 12-07-2016, 08:22 AM
Default How did you change your PVC valve?

How did you change your PVC valve? Was it a dealer part?

Originally Posted by goindimon
Thanks to all who replied and gave me their opinions on this dealership. WOnt be going to them for anything but maybe to buy parts.

So since this writing I have bled my brakes, replace the power steering fluid, changed out the pcv, changed the air and cabin filters. Would have done the plugs but saw that it was a job getting to the rear 3 plugs. Still may consider it though. Gonna consider the timing belt when I get some reasonable quotes.

Love this forum!

Old 12-07-2016, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by Rik Ray
How did you change your PVC valve? Was it a dealer part?
Rik Ray,

So for the pcv valve I did not purchase a replacement. The part from Advance Auto was already $43 bucks. So I did some research and found that if the vavle did not looked gummed up and that there was a clicking sound when I shook it that I could reuse. All I did was use some brake cleaner and blow it out and replaced. All is fine at this point, I did this 3 months ago.

Old 12-08-2016, 08:09 AM

My PS hose has been "leaking" for years - appears to be a common problem in the Outlander. I had maybe lost 1/8" of the factory power steering fluid in 8 years. They could not locate the leak everytime I brought it in for lifetime oil changes(which the dealer abruptly ended at 120,000km, saying this is their definition of end of life of vehicle). Once the hose was off warranty they wanted $900 for repair. Bought my Outtie in Oct 2007, still rocking that same hose today.

The rest of the maintenance they're offering is all services meant to make money aside from the axle seal leaking. I love my Mitsu's but I've yet to hear a satisfactory story regarding dealer repairs. Mitsubishi seems to avoid warranty repairs, and the dealers seemly try to make up for this by suggesting services that are technically appropriate but unnecessary. Educate yourself as much as you can about your vehicle, these guys are not your friends.

Old 12-08-2016, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by n0c7
My PS hose has been "leaking" for years - appears to be a common problem in the Outlander. I had maybe lost 1/8" of the factory power steering fluid in 8 years. They could not locate the leak everytime I brought it in for lifetime oil changes(which the dealer abruptly ended at 120,000km, saying this is their definition of end of life of vehicle). Once the hose was off warranty they wanted $900 for repair. Bought my Outtie in Oct 2007, still rocking that same hose today.

The rest of the maintenance they're offering is all services meant to make money aside from the axle seal leaking. I love my Mitsu's but I've yet to hear a satisfactory story regarding dealer repairs. Mitsubishi seems to avoid warranty repairs, and the dealers seemly try to make up for this by suggesting services that are technically appropriate but unnecessary. Educate yourself as much as you can about your vehicle, these guys are not your friends.

n0c7,

You are so right about the dealer not being your friend. At no pt did they ever discuss any discounts for multiple repairs. Only that everything was necessary to fix. I did most of the repairs myself and the only thing I am holding out to fix is the timing belt until I ether run into some cash or 110K miles. Thanks for your input.