Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander king of beeps

Old 10-20-2011, 01:16 AM
Default Outlander king of beeps

Well, I know this has been discussed previously, I have read all the other threads on various forums which were a little outdated for 2007 models not the 2010 and after model, so I am posting hoping somewhere along the line the smart people at Mitsubishi realised that cars are purchased by adults, with operating intelligence built in to their brains which allows them to know when they are not wearing a seat belt, and atleast included an option somewhere in the vast MMCS menu to disable the idiotic belt minder feature.

Let me also add, if you have an opinion along the lines of "just wear your seatbelt" and you post it here, I will ask the good people at microsoft to invent some sort of time and space bending computer program which will allow my hands to reach through your monitor and bash your face against your keyboard......keep those opinions to yourself, the vast majority of people want the beep disabled, you dont like it, go read a different post.

Now I have moved from a Ford sedan, which also had a pesky belt minder which I was able to disabled with a fun little twist the key, hold a button, click and un-click the seatbelt dance, but atleast the ford gave you twenty seconds to get your belt on before it started beeping at you. This Outlander (an otherwise excellent vehicle) beeps from the moment you start the thing, constantly, rather than waiting the ten seconds it takes to put my belt on which I always wear (for all you bell ends who are thinking of starting the just wear your belt crap).

While on the subject, the stoopid screen you have to ackowledge on the mmcs at startup is ridiculous. By the time the welcome screen is done, and this idiotic screen appears I am already in reverse and moving, and waiting for it to decide to switch to the camera, and having to rely on hearing the reverse sensor beeps somewhere muffled under the belt minder beeps. And the disabling of the controls while driving works the opposite of it's designers intention. Instead of pressing the button I was looking for and job done, eyes on the road, I spend four times as long looking at the thing trying to get the selection to work.....counter productive and dangerous.

When your in your car all day, everyday, and this happens forty seven times, drives you crazy.

So, my rant is over until someone bites on the wear your belt comments, anyone had any luck disabling this silly feature?

Aware of the resourceit solution, but shouldn't have to fork out $200 plus for the privillege of driving my nice car without having warning beeps tell me the bloody obvious. If anyone knows the exact location of the bell itself behind the dash, I also know when the lights are on funnily enough so more than happy to rip the bugger out.

Thanx in advance to any who are willing to assist, to those on the seatbelt rant, you were warned......let the banter begin.

Old 10-20-2011, 08:33 AM
Old 10-20-2011, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jizza
This Outlander (an otherwise excellent vehicle) beeps from the moment you start the thing, constantly, rather than waiting the ten seconds it takes to put my belt on which I always wear (for all you bell ends who are thinking of starting the just wear your belt crap).
Oddly enough, I don't think my '07 Outie behaves this way. I have only had it for a couple of weeks but am fairly certain that I have at least started the truck and began backing without the seatbelt on. I also think I have sat in it with it running but no belt on with no beeping. I recall seeing various posts about beeping, but haven't bothered reading them because I wasn't aware of a problem. I will empirically test when out today and report back what I find. I do have MMCS, so there may be an option in there...

Old 10-20-2011, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
get in an accident and you are screwed.

Please explain why? Will a beep prevent an accident, or somehow soften the impact?

Let me re-itterate I will be wearing my seatbelt while in motion, as will all passengers in the car, I just don't need constant beeping to remind me of something I have not forgotten, or alerting me to the fact that I have placed my thin work folder and a street directory on the passenger seat........

Old 10-20-2011, 08:41 PM

There are two seat belt warning options to select from, I'll try to figure out.
Does MMCS offers anything about it?

Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 PM

wow, man...relax a bit. Sounded like you wanted that beep to go away any way possible. if you were willing to disable a light and rip out a speaker, I wouldn't have put it past you to buy a replacement buckle to make the car think the seatbelt is being used. But get into an accident and the police note that is what you are doing...I'm just guessing the repercussions would not be the greatest. You can't re-iterate that you will be wearing your seatbelt if you didn't iterate it in the first place.

if you are already wearing your seatbelt and the car still dings at you...you have other problems. Possibly a loose connector, corroded leads...

Old 10-20-2011, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Vadimus
Does MMCS offers anything about it?
As a follow up to my previous post. I started the Outie without the seatbelt on, the indicator light in the instrument cluster (up by the high beam light) stayed on but no beeping or large seatbelt warning in the multi display. I then drove for a few 100 feet, still with no warning. At that point, the multi display alerted to fasten seat belt and the beeping started. I then stopped and left the truck in drive and unfastened the belt but got no alert until driving again for a short distance. I then stopped again and put the truck in park and unfastened the belt with no warning beeps. I could find no option regarding seatbelt warning in MMCS or in the multi display setup (key in ACC position but not running). The only thing odd is a small button that is screwed to the left knee panel with a blinking green light when the key is in the off position. It comes on when the key is turned off and goes off when the key is on. There is also the red alarm flashing light next to the hazard light, so I'm not sure if the green light is related to alarm or not. It is tapped into a white wire with silver stripes coming out of the steering column and also into a couple other wires coming from the fuse box. I will look into what those wires are when I get access to the technical manual again.

Old 10-21-2011, 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
wow, man...relax a bit.

You can't re-iterate that you will be wearing your seatbelt if you didn't iterate it in the first place.

if you are already wearing your seatbelt and the car still dings at you...you have other problems. Possibly a loose connector, corroded leads...
Perfectly relaxed, my words were not harsh, they were simple questions to qualify your statement......the joys of the written word on forum posts.

The original post contained my first itteration that I always wear my belt, third paragraph, last line.

No there is no malfunction with the vehicle other than the design of the beep and it's inability to be switched off easily.....the Ford was a challenge and took some searching, with alot of crap talk about just wearing your seatbelt thrown in from silly people which I was hoping to avoid on here.

May have sounded harsh in my first post, after reading through 70% of the other posts in this and other forums from people asking a similar question and then having to justify their intent to switch the stoopid feature off, thought I might knock them on the head first.

Last edited by Jizza; 10-21-2011 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-21-2011, 04:11 AM

Originally Posted by MTWallet
The only thing odd is a small button that is screwed to the left knee panel with a blinking green light when the key is in the off position. It comes on when the key is turned off and goes off when the key is on. There is also the red alarm flashing light next to the hazard light, so I'm not sure if the green light is related to alarm or not. It is tapped into a white wire with silver stripes coming out of the steering column and also into a couple other wires coming from the fuse box. I will look into what those wires are when I get access to the technical manual again.
Thanx for looking into it.

I get beeps immediately, my procedure when getting in the car remains the same, get in, start, select the gear I want and then belt up once moving in my drive way.

As soon as the vehicle is started the thing beeps and flashes seat belt warnings at me, it is immediate, with no delay, and happens while the MMCS is still in boot logo.

For those thinking of suggesting I change that procedure and belt up first, please don't.............. I shouldn't have to consider doing that, I spent alot of money on a great car with great features.....other than it's moron reminder beep.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:25 AM

just for giggles, have you buckled up before starting to see if there are beeps?

I usually start, put my belt on, then drive off and get no beeps. occasionally I'll take off w/o my belt on down the side streets, and it takes three blocks before I start to hear dinging/beeping.

you don't have any service engine soon light illuminated do you? maybe a door sensor thinks the door is open??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Outlander king of beeps