Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander MIVEC V6 (Brazilian)

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 05:16 PM
Default Outlander MIVEC V6 (Brazilian)

Planning to buy an Outlander Mivec V6. Is this engine good? Reliable? Is it designed to last long? or just a ordinary light alloy block with variable valves and intake manifold in order to adapt new emission regulations?

greetings

Last edited by Robertczar; 03-10-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:51 PM

You can look at the Wiki article to see if its "good." (that's a very subjective question):
Mitsubishi 6B3 engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It's reliable, I haven't heard of a single issue with the engine itself.

I personally like the fact that its SOHC, which means 90% of peak torque is at 2000 RPM. Like a diesel almost.
However, it doesn't really like to rev, it will just make more noise but not give you much past 4000.

Judging from the cars you have listed, you will be a bit disappointed with the Outlander, as it isn't made for fast 0 to 60 times at all. Those all probably have high HP/DOHC and peak torque at something like 6000 RPM.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 PM

disapointed? not at all!!!

done a test drive today and the engine and transmission done really well. fast kickdown response, good torque, quiet... Very impressive indeed!
I´m asking those questions cause I have an LR KV6 engine that is good and also designed to same purpose as MIVEC. Actually, both have alloy block and variable manifold intake. KV6 however is quite fragile ... Rover K engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you guys didnt have heard anything bad in last few years it is great!
I really want to have a outlander...

would u know how many miles the engines works?
do u use it for off road purposes?

KR

Last edited by Robertczar; 03-04-2012 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 07:35 PM

There are some people with high mileage 2007+ V6 Outlanders on this forum, they can tell you their mileage (or you can search this forum). I don't recall of anybody complaining about the engine having issues on this forum.

I think the engine is quite good as well, I love going on 2,000+ km trips and never have issues passing or going up steep mountain passes. Engine braking is quite well tuned as well, I am still not close to doing the first brake replacement at 30,000 km. Leave the car in 4WD Lock for best performance (it is not actual lock, it just sends 60% of torque to rear).

The regular Mitsubishi warranty here is 10 years/160,000 km for powertrain, so presumably the engine and transmission will last at least that long.
I don't know about off road, it is a very harsh ride if you drive slowly. Maybe if you go fast over terrain without bigger holes it should be ok. Likewise, the 18" tires may be too low profile to use off road. I have only driven a few metres off road and you end up swaying quite violently side to side if there are bigger holes. There isn't any significant protection under the car either from rocks, and the suspension travel is quite short so you can't go rock crawling or anything.

Last edited by ivanz; 03-04-2012 at 07:38 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by ivanz
The regular Mitsubishi warranty here is 10 years/160,000 km for powertrain, .
Here we have only 3 years warranty, but great to hear you guys have 10. The engine must be "good".

does anyone knows who make the transmissiom?

All best!

Old 03-05-2012, 07:06 PM
Old 03-05-2012, 08:27 PM

I've heard good reviews about Jatco

SOHC means less maintenance costs :]

If you bought the XLS 2WD, you may want to see if you can switch to the 215/70R16 size rims that come on the other models, those will give you a much more comfortable ride. It looks like both XLS 2wd and 4wd have the same tire size, so for off roading purposes the LS 4wd is your best bet

Old 03-06-2012, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by mahusay
I've heard good reviews about Jatco

SOHC means less maintenance costs :]
confirmed my outlander today!!!!

Very anxious to hit the road, off road and what else!!!

what do you mean with less maintenance? Why?

All Best!

Old 03-06-2012, 10:08 PM

SOHC will have less parts and gaskets and such compared to a DOHC, less parts to buy = less maintenance costs

Which model did you end up getting?

Old 03-07-2012, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by mahusay
SOHC will have less parts and gaskets and such compared to a DOHC, less parts to buy = less maintenance costs

Which model did you end up getting?
We have 3.0 V6 or 2.4
What type is the XLS?

Quick Reply: Outlander MIVEC V6 (Brazilian)