Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Outlander Terrible Fuel Economy

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 07:29 PM
Angry Outlander Terrible Fuel Economy

I just bought a new 2013 Outlander, and the fuel economy I am getting is terrible. I bought the 4 cylinders because the V6 required fuel premium, and this car is using more gas than a Hummer.

I have around 8000KMs on the car, 90% city drive, and 10% hwy.

I am only getting 15.5/100KM (city) and 10.5/100KM (HWY)... I am not driving fast (this car is slow like a turtle to move), the best I got was 9.6/100KM (HWY).

there is no day I regret most of buy this piece of junk.

I took to the dealer and they said the car engine will only break-in after 24.000KM. that's a big lie, and they even look at the car, that's probably the fuel economy stated by Mitusibishi is a big lie.

does this car can get better than this?

the engine is sooo underpowered, that this car can barely move after a stop sign.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:53 PM

Does the temperature indicator ever go to the halfway point?

My 08 V6 gets 16 L/100km city (100% city) and I only drive for about 12 mins to/from work. On the highway, which I rarely go on, I've seen it down to 7.6 L/100km. Granted, that was during the summer.

Old 12-16-2013, 07:46 AM

V6 does not require premium, you just need it to meet declared performance numbers.

2.4 seems to be quite underpowered for Outlander, I guess nothing could be done about it...

Last edited by Vadimus; 12-16-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 AM

4WD will kill your gas mileage as will driving hard which you may be doing because the weight.

I get pretty bad mileage on my '10 XLS but I like WOT a little too much :P I used to have a little Mazda so I am used to better mileage but even that I used to get to the higher number the mfgr specified.

My V6 I was getting about 16.6l/100km though my averages were lower (14.5 ish) when I was trying to drive sensibly but that never lasted a full tank of gas :P And with all the snow here now it's almost always transferring power so it's gone down a bit I just restarted my trip meter when I filled up yesterday so I will find out how I am doing in a few weeks when I fill er. (I don't drive very much)

Old 12-16-2013, 07:51 PM

I usually drive 2WD most of the time. I tried premium and regular gas to avoid ethanol, and no improvements.

I also try to go light on speed, not going over 3000RPMs, and keep under 2000RPMs, and no improvements.

the other cars I had they were close to fuel economy stated. 350KM per 60L tank, that's too much.

I payed 37K on this car, checking for trade-in I can only get 20K, and only 8000KMs... there is no resale value on this car. this is my first and last Mitsubishi... if i spend this gas on a V6 that would be better, but a 4 cylinders we expect good fuel economy

Old 12-16-2013, 11:02 PM

There is no resale value on any new car... You loose at least 20 percent the second you drive off the lot. Try to get a lightly used car and you will save a ton of money...

I'd go back to the dealer about your fuel usage... It wouldn't be higher than my v6....

Old 12-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Default same issues

looks like mitsubishi never really resolved this issue after all. I just got a 2009 2.4 es model and we have the same gas mileage. the only time i save on gas is when i don't use it, lol! i have been all around net researching for possible answers and solution and no luck. I guess i might just really be searching for nothing. it is very frustrating, and you are right i don't mind spending more for gas on a v6 but not a 2.4 with all the expectations that mitsubishi has been telling.

Old 12-18-2013, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by Rapaz_Simples
the other cars I had they were close to fuel economy stated. 350KM per 60L tank, that's too much.
There's definitely something wrong with your car.
How do you calculate it? Is it Auto or Manual metering mode?

Old 12-20-2013, 08:55 AM
Default calculation

on the odometer I set the trip A and B when I fill out the gas, when my car is on reserve, I can see I drove only 280KM, which is ridiculous number, I fill out the gas, and calculate the 60 - (new full tank)

this number is extremely awful, so I don't recommend this car to enemy

and I don't drive fast, if that be possible, this car move slow than a turtle...

Old 12-20-2013, 09:57 AM

Rapaz, I need to chide in with everyone else. There is something wrong with the car and either needs to be returned or fixed.

Quick Reply: Outlander Terrible Fuel Economy