Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Power Steering Fluid...funny stealership experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2011, 12:49 PM
Default Power Steering Fluid...funny stealership experience

So I've been making a point to use correct fluids and such for the Outlander. Manual says to use Mitsubishi fluid. None of the major aftermarket fluids say that they cover our Mitsubishi vehicles. Amsoil is the only one that specifically says so.

So I played dumb and called up one of my local stealerships and asked what to use. They said that they'd do it for 80 bucks...hahaha. I asked again what they use...they run back to talk to the tech. Tech says just ATF fluid...but service manager looks up the manual which says Mitsubishi PS fluid. They send me to parts and I ask how much the fluid is....$37 for 34oz jug....which would be the exact amount needed to change the fluid.

Chuckling to myself I said thank you and called up the other stealership. They offered to change it for $70. I asked them what fluid they used....service manager didn't mention the Mitsubishi PS fluid, but did go talk to their tech...they both came back and said that any old PS fluid will work!

So I'm thinking the requirement for Mitsubishi spec fluid isn't all that stringent. One says to use ATF, other says any aftermarket will work, officially they say Mitsubishi PS. I can't find a local Amsoil...so I'll try out Valvoline PS fluid.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:11 PM

I called my dealership and asked the circus writer what weight oil went into my 2011 4 cyl, he didn't have a clue. Found it in the owners manual after a lot of digging.

This is the same place that I called to get my oil changed (3500 mi.), and I got put on hold and eventually dropped to someone's voice mail.

For an oil change! So much for my "free" one from Mitsu.

Old 08-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Banned

I hate that crap. Total incompetence.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:29 PM

Pulled the old stuff out this morning...definitely ready for a change!

Sure did smell a bit like ATF.

Took exactly one quart.

Old 08-14-2011, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
Pulled the old stuff out this morning...definitely ready for a change!

Sure did smell a bit like ATF.

Took exactly one quart.

Is there a drain plug? I'm pretty sure I need to change mine in the 08 outi.

Old 08-14-2011, 06:36 PM

there is no drain plug as this is a hydraulic system...but it is easy to change out.

Jack the vehicle up on jack stands (if you don't have them, $20 at local auto parts stores) via the lower control arm.

Remove the engine cover and disconnect the front three coil pack plugs. To the left, there is a larger plug that disconnects the rear coil packs and I'm guessing the fuel injectors. This will keep the vehicle from starting and turning the pump faster when there is no fluid in the system.

Use a turkey baster to remove fluid from the resivoir. Remove the return hose (upper) and insert into container. I used a wine bottle what fit great above the serpentine belt.

Turn the motor over with the starter while turning the wheel. This will pump most of the old fluid out. Once you can't get any more out, reconnect the return hose and fill reservoir with fresh fluid. Like turning the engine over with the starter, do that to pump fresh fluid back in.

At one point during this step, I started to smell fuel outside. At this point, I didn't want to flood the engine, so I reconnected the plugs and started the motor to move the fuel out and move the fluid faster. Also, since the old fluid was dark and new was clear, it was easy to see when old fluid started to get pumped in. Trying to get all fluid out, I sucked out the reservoir and refilled with fresh.

Service manual says that once the bubbles are gone, you are done.

I did my ranger a few years ago...this was actually easier. I bought 2 quarts of Valvoline for $13 and only really needed one.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:59 AM

there is no drain plug as this is a hydraulic system...but it is easy to change out.

Jack the vehicle up on jack stands (if you don't have them, $20 at local auto parts stores) via the lower control arm.

Remove the engine cover and disconnect the front three coil pack plugs. To the left, there is a larger plug that disconnects the rear coil packs and I'm guessing the fuel injectors. This will keep the vehicle from starting and turning the pump faster when there is no fluid in the system.

Use a turkey baster to remove fluid from the resivoir. Remove the return hose (upper) and insert into container. I used a wine bottle what fit great above the serpentine belt.

Turn the motor over with the starter while turning the wheel. This will pump most of the old fluid out. Once you can't get any more out, reconnect the return hose and fill reservoir with fresh fluid. Like turning the engine over with the starter, do that to pump fresh fluid back in.

At one point during this step, I started to smell fuel outside. At this point, I didn't want to flood the engine, so I reconnected the plugs and started the motor to move the fuel out and move the fluid faster. Also, since the old fluid was dark and new was clear, it was easy to see when old fluid started to get pumped in. Trying to get all fluid out, I sucked out the reservoir and refilled with fresh.

I did my ranger a few years ago...this was actually easier. I bought 2 quarts of Valvoline for $13 and only really needed one.
Great thanks! Doesn't sound to bad at all.

Old 08-15-2011, 08:49 AM

I suppose I should note...empty the wine bottle the night before...not right before!

Old 10-03-2015, 01:08 PM

Did you have any problem since you used Valvoline and not Mitsu Power steering fluid?

Old 10-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tib_mastiff
Did you have any problem since you used Valvoline and not Mitsu Power steering fluid?
So far so good. Just changed it again this summer.

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid...funny stealership experience