Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

power steering fluid question

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 08:04 PM
Default power steering fluid question

i went to get an oil change today at a quick lube. while i was there the guy was checking other fluids and he had mentioned that my power steering fluid looked dark and might need to be flushed and replaced. my Outy is a 2007 XLS with 42000k miles, is he pulling my leg or should i listen to him. when is the correct time to replace if ever the power steering fluid.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:26 PM

about every 4-5 years. i'd change it.

i've been told by two different dealerships that different fluids will work. The one that I bought mine from said that power steering fluid is acceptable. The other dealership across town said to use the sp-III atf fluid is what they use...go figure. I changed mine out with clear synthetic power steering fluid. no whines or leaks yet. did it in the middle of summer.

edit: letting your power steering fluid go too long will keep particulates in the fluid, which will then damage seals. Then you'll start loosing fluid and your alignment can be all out of whack. I'll be changing mine out every other year. it is cheap fluid and is pretty easy to do. I had a post on the subject after I did mine. really easy...but you have to drink a bottle of wine first...trade-offs.

Last edited by ccernst; 11-15-2011 at 01:28 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
about every 4-5 years. i'd change it.

i've been told by two different dealerships that different fluids will work. The one that I bought mine from said that power steering fluid is acceptable. The other dealership across town said to use the sp-III atf fluid is what they use...go figure. I changed mine out with clear synthetic power steering fluid. no whines or leaks yet. did it in the middle of summer.

edit: letting your power steering fluid go too long will keep particulates in the fluid, which will then damage seals. Then you'll start loosing fluid and your alignment can be all out of whack. I'll be changing mine out every other year. it is cheap fluid and is pretty easy to do. I had a post on the subject after I did mine. really easy...but you have to drink a bottle of wine first...trade-offs.
any idea of approximate cost if done by a mechanic?

Old 11-15-2011, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cheech
any idea of approximate cost if done by a mechanic?
I'd guess they'd book 1/2 an hour of work + fluid costs which is minimal. So maybe $70 at a dealership? Really depends on the labour rate.

You don't need to get all the fluid out. This is what I did to maintain my fluid - not flush it:
http://amsoil.nesser.org/2011/05/power-steering-fluid/

Old 11-15-2011, 03:39 PM

I had both my brake fluid and power steering fluid changed around the 3 year mark.