Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Problems with 2004 outlander

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2011, 11:55 AM
Default Problems with 2004 outlander

Hey Everyone,

I purchased a used 2004 Mitsubishi Outlander. Everything seemed to be fine until I drove it off the lot.. First thing, the check engine light came on. When a diagnosis test was done, what was found was that there was a small evap leak. Since I had a warranty through the dealership, they first replaced the gas cap. The light came on shortly after. Then they did a smoke test on the car and they concluded that there was a small crack in the canister hose. They replaced that and my light came on again. So I had to go back down to the dealership and they had to replace a vent hose (can't recall the exact name of the hose). Everything was ok for a week and all of a sudden my light came on for the 4th time! I am getting very frustrated about this. Could this be a serious trouble? What other parts or problems can come about when the diagnosis test concludes it is a small evap leak?

Also, does anyone else get really bad gas mileage? I live in the city where anywhere you go you have to travel up steep hills. I am averaging about 12-13 mpg. Mitsubishi claims that the Outlander gets 18 in the city, could my fuel tank and all the issues I am having with the check engine light be the problem what I am getting really bad mileages?

And one more thing.... This happened to me twice and I have no idea why or what the problem could be. I stopped my car at a stop sign and when I was ready to move forward I would hit my gas pedal and my car would go into reverse. I was not in reverse; it went into reverse while I was still in drive. I quickly hit the breaks and tried again and it would go back into reverse. I had to put the car into park, turn it off and when I turned the car back on it was fine. The first time this happened I was on a flat surface and the other time I was on a hill. I understand that a car shifts back a little when you are on a hill, but when I wanted to go forward it kept going in reverse. Luckily there was no one behind me. I am afraid that I will be at a traffic light and then would happen. Has this happened to anyone before? Does anyone know what the problem could be?

Old 11-14-2011, 02:00 PM

Small evap leak is quite common issue for many cars. It is not harmful by itself, the most problem is annoying CEL telling you your car has something working wrong in it.
Moreover, it is self-expiring error, it will go off if ECU does not sense again it for some time.

Old 05-24-2016, 12:46 PM

That wasn't much help in fixing the problem Vadimus