Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Proud owner of a 2016 Outlander GT

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2016, 07:51 PM
Default Proud owner of a 2016 Outlander GT

Pulled the trigger on a GT last Friday. We concluded the deal at 9pm, closing time. It was a huge leap of faith for me. We're a Honda family. Owned accord, civic, crv and integra. It was like converting to another religion. And like converting, I had to be sure that I believe in this new car.

I can't understand why most "professional" reviews are negative. The reviews I read sounded biased like Mitsubishi was an ex girlfriend who parted on bad terms. Consumer reports, car and driver, the list was endless. There were a couple that gave the outlander a chance. I think the problem is trying to compare the outlander with the compact crossovers and also the midsize suvs when the outlander is clearly in a class of itself (in North America). There's real competition in other parts of the world, especially asia.

There are some cons obviously. Mpg could be better (v6). DRL not available (ETAC). No auto lock. Uncertain future of Mitsubishi. No back row AC. Thin paint. But aside from that, the value of this car is amazing.

V6, 3 rows, sunroof, power lift gate, 18" wheels, fosgate sound, power folding side mirrors, auto dim rear view mirror, auto sensing and de-icer wipers, pedal shifters, s-awc, leather, compact size, all for $30,000.

I also think it looks much better than a lot of cars. Definitely better than Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and ford. The Mazda is a bit better looking. Anyway, I'm so glad to have bought this car and didn't go for something like a Honda pilot. I live in the city and this is the perfect size to space ratio. Mine comes with remote start and it's an awesome feature as we're having consecutive 90 degree weather.

Now gotta decide if I should opti coat it to protect the paint.

Attached Thumbnails Proud owner of a 2016 Outlander GT-image.jpeg  
Old 07-12-2016, 01:59 AM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by nabwong
Pulled the trigger on a GT last Friday. We concluded the deal at 9pm, closing time. It was a huge leap of faith for me. We're a Honda family. Owned accord, civic, crv and integra. It was like converting to another religion. And like converting, I had to be sure that I believe in this new car.

I can't understand why most "professional" reviews are negative. The reviews I read sounded biased like Mitsubishi was an ex girlfriend who parted on bad terms. Consumer reports, car and driver, the list was endless. There were a couple that gave the outlander a chance. I think the problem is trying to compare the outlander with the compact crossovers and also the midsize suvs when the outlander is clearly in a class of itself (in North America). There's real competition in other parts of the world, especially asia.

There are some cons obviously. Mpg could be better (v6). DRL not available (ETAC). No auto lock. Uncertain future of Mitsubishi. No back row AC. Thin paint. But aside from that, the value of this car is amazing.

V6, 3 rows, sunroof, power lift gate, 18" wheels, fosgate sound, power folding side mirrors, auto dim rear view mirror, auto sensing and de-icer wipers, pedal shifters, s-awc, leather, compact size, all for $30,000.

I also think it looks much better than a lot of cars. Definitely better than Subaru, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai and ford. The Mazda is a bit better looking. Anyway, I'm so glad to have bought this car and didn't go for something like a Honda pilot. I live in the city and this is the perfect size to space ratio. Mine comes with remote start and it's an awesome feature as we're having consecutive 90 degree weather.

Welcome to the Outlander family! You get alot of bang for your buck with Mitsubishi and the best warranty of all Japanese vehicles.

Old 07-12-2016, 05:31 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
Welcome to the Outlander family! You get alot of bang for your buck with Mitsubishi and the best warranty of all Japanese vehicles.
Thanks! Which part of NJ are you in? I'm in Philly.

Old 07-12-2016, 12:19 PM

Nice. Looks like you have the exact same car as me. I completely agree with your assessment, you must be a smart guy I added DRL and auto-lock through ETACS customization. Gas mileage is pretty brutal on the V6, but relatively speaking, it's still ok. And I was aware of the figures going in. I agree with you regarding the professional reviews too. They are doing some odd comparisons. Yes, it doesn't drive like a crossover or car. I don't like driving it either compared to those (spirited driver myself). But it does exactly what I need, especially the 3 rows for those dang kids in a small footprint. I live in the city too, and there aren't many choices that meet those requirements. Well done, and welcome.

Old 07-12-2016, 06:36 PM

Welcome...Congrats on your choice. I too agree with many of your fine points. The paint is very thin on Mitsu vehicles generally...I drive a lot of highway and have stone chips to prove it !!..not a deal breaker..but its a con for sure. I wax my vehicle twice a year with Auto Glym High Definition...great stuff..looks awesome on the Diamond white..and cant hurt to protect the paint a bit

Here in Canada it seems that Mitsubishi is not even on most car buyers radar...the sales are average at best..mostly in Quebec and Ontario from what I have been told.
It takes Canadians a looong time to warm up to a brand...Hyundai was a big joke here in the 90's...not now..they sell like hotcakes.

30K for a GT?? ...a great deal methinks...same car here 38K plus tax CDN...pricey..but still a good value. Enjoy it...Best of Luck

Old 07-12-2016, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by theSaint024
Nice. Looks like you have the exact same car as me. I completely agree with your assessment, you must be a smart guy I added DRL and auto-lock through ETACS customization. Gas mileage is pretty brutal on the V6, but relatively speaking, it's still ok. And I was aware of the figures going in. I agree with you regarding the professional reviews too. They are doing some odd comparisons. Yes, it doesn't drive like a crossover or car. I don't like driving it either compared to those (spirited driver myself). But it does exactly what I need, especially the 3 rows for those dang kids in a small footprint. I live in the city too, and there aren't many choices that meet those requirements. Well done, and welcome.
Thanks! I'm a little scared to try the ETACS. Does it void warranty?

Old 07-12-2016, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy2013
Welcome...Congrats on your choice. I too agree with many of your fine points. The paint is very thin on Mitsu vehicles generally...I drive a lot of highway and have stone chips to prove it !!..not a deal breaker..but its a con for sure. I wax my vehicle twice a year with Auto Glym High Definition...great stuff..looks awesome on the Diamond white..and cant hurt to protect the paint a bit

Here in Canada it seems that Mitsubishi is not even on most car buyers radar...the sales are average at best..mostly in Quebec and Ontario from what I have been told.
It takes Canadians a looong time to warm up to a brand...Hyundai was a big joke here in the 90's...not now..they sell like hotcakes.

30K for a GT?? ...a great deal methinks...same car here 38K plus tax CDN...pricey..but still a good value. Enjoy it...Best of Luck
I think I've made up my mind to do opticoat soon. It's about $800. I'm already seeing some chips here and there.

I'm originally from Singapore and the 4cyl outlander sells for $140,000. They don't even have the v6 there. So $30k or $40k is cheap!

Old 07-12-2016, 09:47 PM

Thanks! I'm a little scared to try the ETACS. Does it void warranty?
No, definitely not. If these mods, or any mod for that matter, somehow lead to a failure, it is on the manufacturer to prove that the mod caused it. Otherwise, warranty still covers. That being said, these ETACS mods are often configured that way in different markets and are in the computer already. Everyone outside the US gets DRL's from factory for example. The mods we are talking about are safety features that are present but just need to be turned on. I'm loving my setup now.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:55 PM
Arrow

Thanks! Which part of NJ are you in? I'm in Philly.
Cool I live right in Bergen County in the Met life Stadium area.

Old 07-14-2016, 12:54 AM

Congrats, I got a 2016 SEL earlier this year, but just the 4 banger for better MPG and I'm use to the CVT, very smooth. How do you like the remote start? Looked a little tedious to use. I would assume the auto climate controls would turn the air on or off? Does it shut down the motor if you open the trunk after starting it remotely?

Quick Reply: Proud owner of a 2016 Outlander GT