Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

rediculously poor motor mileage help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 07:41 AM
Default rediculously poor motor mileage help!

I have just traded 'up' from a jeep compass 2.2crd limited to an outlander GX4 of the same year but with 16k miles on the clock. to change cars cost me a lot of money.

i decided to jump the jeep ship because at 3 years old the jeep had a few reliability issues (suspension joints, door locks jammed) i also wanted something with a larger boot (trunk) and a bit heavier because i tow a caravan (trailer).

i am soooo disappointed.

so far my 2.3 DID 14N4 175bhp outlander has delivered only 230 miles on 48L of fuel. thats just 22 miles per imp gallon or 18 miles/us gal.or 12.6 l/100km

the car doesnt feel that quick either

this is ridiculous, my jeep could achieve 45mpg.

my works Nissan Navarra (2.5l 190bhp, 2 tonnes) can acheive 37mpg.

the dealer i bought the car from admits something is not right and i have to return 100 miles each way for them to take a look at it as they say they will not honour their warranty at another mitsubishi dealers nearer to me.

is this kind of motor mileage normal for a diesel outlander?

any one had any experiences of bad fuel mileage and what was required to fix it?

i dont want the dealers to fob me off with 'we hooked it up to the computer sir and cant find anything wrong with it.

i really dont trust (livery dole) the dealers.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:28 PM
Old 01-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Unfortunately those on fuelly are all large petrol engines. Anyone out there with a 2.2DiD?

Old 01-27-2015, 02:40 PM

The latest one's are very frugal (I know that doesn't help you much).
Around the mid thirty's tazzing around the hills and dales - and much more on a good run out.

But this takes some believing :- "Nissan Navarra (2.5l 190bhp, 2 tonnes) can acheive 37mpg"
The two local one's around here I know of, and it's more like 20 mpg - on a good day.
Edit:Which seems about right
http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/navarra

Last edited by rennie; 01-27-2015 at 02:47 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:54 AM

On highway with empty car and driving alone - best i've got is 8 l/100km.
don't really drive in city...

Old 01-30-2015, 10:17 AM

I've not got the 2.2 but have the 2.0 diesel and get just under 40 mpg per tank full. I reckon on a steady long run it might get up to 45 mpg

Old 02-15-2015, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by rennie
The latest one's are very frugal (I know that doesn't help you much).
Around the mid thirty's tazzing around the hills and dales - and much more on a good run out.

But this takes some believing :- "Nissan Navarra (2.5l 190bhp, 2 tonnes) can acheive 37mpg"
The two local one's around here I know of, and it's more like 20 mpg - on a good day.
Edit:Which seems about right
Nissan Navara Mileage | Fuelly
It's true I drove our 2010 navarra to bury st Edmunds 300 mile round trip at high motorway speeds and the trip showed 34mpg. I think the 2010 Navara and pathfinder are more economical. The uk road tax is 1/2 the cost of the 2009 versions. Uk road tax is based on emissions mg.co2/km.

Additionally I went to kent with my boss in his rangerover sport with a 3L v6 diesel. 400 mile round trip. It averaged 47mpg. I was pig sick I can tell you! How do the manufacturers suddenly achieve these economies?

Old 02-15-2015, 04:19 AM

I have the same engine in my Outlander and it returns around 38 to the imperial gallon - as opposed to the 48 quoted by Mitsubishi. That's actually not too bad for where I live - at the bottom of a ravine in remotest Cornwall. In terms of performance, it goes like **** off a shovel compared with previous vehicle - Freelander Td4.

What is unexpected is that due to current conditions - wet, icy etc - I have been on permanent 4WD for the last couple of weeks and it is, if anything, actually returning slightly more than on 2WD. I wondered if anyone else has experienced that or if there's a glitch in the way the car is reporting?

In any event, defintely sounds as though you have issues with your vehicle which you need to check out. Hope that's helpful.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:57 PM

It's a bit disheartening to note you only get 38/gallon and are happy with that and that it's ok for the manufacturers figures to be so Far off the mark. My jeep returned over 40 mpg and 45 when on the motorway. Why can other larger 4wd vehicles return better mpg than the outlander? I think, no I know my outlander is not right though. It's better since I tightened a loose jubilee clip on the intercooler hose but it's acceleration feels no quicker than the Navara and on paper the 0-60 is supposed to be several seconds less.

The dealers I bought the outlander from are collecting it and taking it back to check it out. I dare say though that if they stick to 60mph they will get 38 mpg out of it. But my jeep compass would return 45mpg doing 80!

Old 02-16-2015, 12:24 PM

Looking at the fuelly website, high 30's seems par for the course for similar 4x4's from different brands. Those that can only tow low amounts, especially 2wd models seem to be able to get in the high 40's low 50's but those that can tow 2 tonnes all tend to be around 40 mpg.

Quick Reply: rediculously poor motor mileage help!