Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Removing Sport rearview mirror should be simple, but...

Old 05-28-2013, 06:06 PM
Default Removing Sport rearview mirror should be simple, but...

I have a 2013 Outlander Sport ES and I want to remove the rearview mirror but can't see how. I am installing a new lcd monitor mirror.

I searched this forum and only found the older Outlander mirror mount with a plastic cover. Mine does not have this, it is a solid metal housing with a small square slot.
I also downloaded the 2011 Sport Service Manual but it also shows the older Outlander plastic cover mirror mount.

They must have changed the mirror mount design between '11 and '13.

I tried inserting a small screwdriver into the square slot and twisting/prying to release a possible clip but it did not work. I found instructions that said to do this.

Two questions;
1) How do I remove the mirror?
2) Is the '13 Sport mirror button on the windshield the common wedge one used by most universal rear view mirrors?

Thanks.
Alan

Old 05-30-2013, 05:57 AM
Default Some more information

After getting nowhere with removing this mirror I looked very closely at the mount and saw a patent number. I looked up that patent and now at least I know the general design.
There is a hidden spring clip inside that needs to be lifted up with a tool. My screwdriver seems to be hitting a flexible clip and it feels like I am lifting it, but the mirror won't budge.

The patent shows a special two pronged removal tool but my mount only has one access slot, so I think a screwdriver is the right tool.

I think my mirror is just jammed on the mount too tight.

I'll take it to the dealer to see if they can get it off.

Thanks.
Alan

Old 05-31-2013, 02:11 PM

Hopefully they tell you what they did!

Old 12-14-2013, 12:01 AM

Hello firepower and user,

I know this is an old post, but for future user looking for an answer. Using a small screw driver about 1/4" in diameter insert it on the bottom where a slot is visible. There is a provision entry why there is a slot. About 3/4" of an inch slightly push the screw driver up towards the ceiling while holding the rear view mirror and slightly pulling it up. It should release a clip that firepower hit on his previous message. That clip is what holding the rear view mirror assembly in place with respect to the wedge attach to the windshield. I have removed mine and if anyone wants photo let me know i can posts one.