Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Replacing Battery in Key Fob

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2015, 02:25 AM
Arrow Replacing Battery in Key Fob

Do you have to take your key fobs to a dealer to have the battery replaced? Once the battery dies in the fob does that mean it needs to be reprogrammed?

Old 03-22-2015, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by SERPENTOR
Do you have to take your key fobs to a dealer to have the battery replaced? Once the battery dies in the fob does that mean it needs to be reprogrammed?
SERPENTOR,

If you are using the Mitsubishi FAST key fob, you do not have to take your fob to the dealer to have the battery replaced. A 3v calculator battery can be used to replace the existing battery. Model CR 2032. Panasonic and Maxell are two examples of companies that make this battery. There are others.

You will need a small flathead screw driver to gently separate the top portion of the FAST key fob from the lower. There is a small opening at the end of the fob near the red, panic button. Just be careful not to damage the plastic fob casing.

You should not need to have the fob reprogrammed. I have replaced the battery in each of my two fobs without the need.

Old 03-22-2015, 07:51 PM

battery on my 2012 outlander key fob was low, so i took spare key of my wifes 2014 outlander, swapped the batterys and both key fobs works fine. Shhhh... don't tell my wife, that one key fob (spare) have almost dead battery in it ))

Old 03-22-2015, 09:48 PM

Are there any instructions for opening the Fast Key FOB? I do not want to damage it.

Old 03-23-2015, 08:03 PM

Are there any instructions for opening the Fast Key FOB? I do not want to damage it.
look from the side where key goes in, there is little cut off, little hole where both covers meet. Put a knife(worked best for me) or something similar in that little "hole" and twist your knife. No screws or anything holds key fob together, so the cover will pop up easily.

Old 03-24-2015, 03:09 AM

Thank-you guys I really appreciate the help!

Old 03-26-2015, 09:07 PM

Good news 2 out of my 3 key fobs work. One does not respond even with the new battery. Does anyone know if there are instructions to reprogram it to the Outlander.

Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 AM

Good news 2 out of my 3 key fobs work. One does not respond even with the new battery. Does anyone know if there are instructions to reprogram it to the Outlander.
Can't be reprogrammed via the old methods used in many other cars. You need to reprogram with the dealer tool, or take the fob to a locksmith to have it cloned of another key. Older gen key fobs had trouble with EMI(or say mitsu says) and were wiped clean and couldn't be reprogrammed once erased.

Old 03-28-2015, 11:00 PM

Does anyone know how much a dealer charges to reprogram?

Old 01-29-2021, 03:40 PM
Default mitsubishi outlander key

hi i have a 2014 mistsubishi outlander i have had for 6 months now. dont drive it a lot mainly school and shops for the kids.... friday i dropped the kids at school on picking them up in the afternoon we went to start the car but would not start... dash lights up headlights work horn works , but when you turn the key does not even click. rang roadservice they came out to check battery and said was very low tried to boost start me didnt work, he even put in a new battery just to see if that would work... NO GO had to get towed to dealer... 40 minutes after getting it to the dealer the tech guy is telling me my key dosnt have the transponder in it and i need to buy new keys at over $500 each plus $160 to have coded... i said how can the transponder be missing ?? we have been using the same key for 6 months, he keeps saying its the key so i have dropped down my spare key which has been sitting at work since i bought the car and he is saying the same thing.... i said if the transponders where missing how could we drive the car for the last 6 months ?? he cant answer and just keeps saying the keys. has anbody else had this problem ? i know its not the keys

Quick Reply: Replacing Battery in Key Fob