Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

replacing timing belt XLS v6 3.0

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Default replacing timing belt XLS v6 3.0

Hello all

my outlander comes to a time to change Timing belt (100k km)
some service center advise me to change timing belt, tensioner and tensioner pulley

MIT dealer advised to change only the timimg belt. Other parts may last till 250k km

what is correct?

Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM

may last till 250k km ??? if you think so you can just wait and see its your call

Old 03-02-2013, 10:37 AM

note: mit dealer under warranty!!

Old 03-02-2013, 12:11 PM

I changed my belt at 105k miles and only my belt. tensioner and pulley were just fine.

I do recommend changing out the two accessory belts at the same time, they have to be removed anyway and they are relatively inexpensive. I would pressure them to not charge you labor for work to change out those belts, as they have to do that work to get to the timing belt.

Old 03-03-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I changed my belt at 105k miles and only my belt. tensioner and pulley were just fine.

I do recommend changing out the two accessory belts at the same time, they have to be removed anyway and they are relatively inexpensive. I would pressure them to not charge you labor for work to change out those belts, as they have to do that work to get to the timing belt.
105k miles = 168k km!! 1st replacement? you did it at MIT dealer?
Good to know

Old 03-03-2013, 10:34 AM

I did it myself with the help of the service manual and my father. We also did spark plugs which was a big job.

you can check the timing belt pretty easy if you remove the closest cover of the cog and disconnect the fuel rail connectors (which are close to the cover. mark the belt and have an assistant just hit the starter just a bit to turn the motor over. any cracks, fraying, or abnormal wear on the teeth should warrant an immediate replacement. my belt at 105k miles looked okay, but it was time to do it. accessory belts looked more aged than the timing belt.

Old 03-03-2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Robertczar
note: mit dealer under warranty!!
If you have them do it, ask about replacing the extra parts. They are going to charge Mitsu for R&R those parts, anyway. Tell them you will pay for the parts.
Should not be any labor charge to do the extras.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
I did it myself with the help of the service manual and my father. We also did spark plugs which was a big job.

you can check the timing belt pretty easy if you remove the closest cover of the cog and disconnect the fuel rail connectors (which are close to the cover. mark the belt and have an assistant just hit the starter just a bit to turn the motor over. any cracks, fraying, or abnormal wear on the teeth should warrant an immediate replacement. my belt at 105k miles looked okay, but it was time to do it. accessory belts looked more aged than the timing belt.
Wow, you´r tha man. some people are asking 500USD here to change that

Old 03-03-2013, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by milliesdad
If you have them do it, ask about replacing the extra parts. They are going to charge Mitsu for R&R those parts, anyway. Tell them you will pay for the parts.
Should not be any labor charge to do the extras.
Yeap, ill do that!!

Old 03-03-2013, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by Robertczar
Wow, you´r tha man. some people are asking 500USD here to change that
changing the timing belt, spark plugs, rear diff output seal...and something else took us two days and many beers. Lots of fun though for the both of us.

Quick Reply: replacing timing belt XLS v6 3.0