Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Road noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Default Road noise

I recently bought a new 2013 Outlander. The salesman was a sneaky guy and had me test drive on some very smooth roads. But now I find that on the rough surface roads the road noise is unbearable. Now I know there must be some of you out there that have remedied the situation. I went to a electronic shop that installs audio equipment and tried to get them to sound proof but they told me they would not even try. Anyone done any sound deadening on their Outlander? If so what did you do and what was the results? I am either getting this thing quiet or trading it off. I really like the car, the 30 mpg, and the roominess but can't stand the noise. Anyone?

I had the hardest time posting this thread.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:22 PM

I have a 2013 outlander as well. Road noise is apparent on rough roads. Part of the problem is the lack of sound dampening, but the other half of the issue is the tires. The Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires are a bit on the noisy side - if it's really bothering you a lot, you only have a couple choices:
- sound deadener - you won't need a lot
- change tires to something quieter

I haven't installed sound deadener in my outlander, but i did my Saturn - knowing what i know now, i wouldn't have used so much. Anyways, it makes a world of difference - i'm sure it'll also fix the "tinny" sound in the car too.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by gord888
I have a 2013 outlander as well. Road noise is apparent on rough roads. Part of the problem is the lack of sound dampening, but the other half of the issue is the tires. The Goodyear Eagle LS2 tires are a bit on the noisy side - if it's really bothering you a lot, you only have a couple choices:
- sound deadener - you won't need a lot
- change tires to something quieter

I haven't installed sound deadener in my outlander, but i did my Saturn - knowing what i know now, i wouldn't have used so much. Anyways, it makes a world of difference - i'm sure it'll also fix the "tinny" sound in the car too.
I have yokohama tires, YK520. I really don't want to change them unless absolutely necessary as they only have 4000 miles on them. They are supposed to be Yokohama's quietest tires. On smooth roads you don't hear them, only of rough roads. But if it comes down to it I would change if I can be sure it would help at least some with the road noise.

Where did you install the sound deadner? Floors or doors or both? What brand did you use? Thanks

Last edited by Texas001; 10-15-2014 at 02:46 PM.
Old 09-22-2013, 10:14 PM

My wife and I bought a '10 XLS just a few months ago and I agree with you that it is one road-noisy vehicle. No frame or body squeaks or rattles. Just a lot of road noise. We knew it was that way when we bought it, however, so there were no surprises after purchase.

Our '92 Accord was a noisy bugger, too, but that was the most reliable vehicle we've ever owned and that reliability more than made up for the noise.

Old 09-23-2013, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by Texas001
I have yokohama tires, YK520. I really don't want to change them unless absolutely necessary as they only have 4000 miles on them. They are supposed to be Yokohama's quietest tires. On smooth roads you do hear them, only of rough roads. But if it comes down to it I would change if I can be sure it would help at least some with the road noise.

Where did you install the sound deadner? Floors or doors or both? What brand did you use? Thanks
i used this stuff:
B-Quiet sound deadening materials - B-Quiet Extreme

I installed it on the doors and floors. i did 100% coverage, but after reading about it: Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown. you only need 25% coverage.

Old 09-23-2013, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by gord888
i used this stuff:
B-Quiet sound deadening materials - B-Quiet Extreme

I installed it on the doors and floors. i did 100% coverage, but after reading about it: Welcome to Sound Deadener Showdown | Sound Deadener Showdown. you only need 25% coverage.

Thanks so much. You have given me more information and a better understanding of the whole process with the URL quoted than anyone has given me before. I really appreciated it and will study the info. Thanks again.

Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 AM

Good thing I've found this thread. I have the same problem. I will also check out that sound deadener. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-26-2013, 06:53 AM

Being 75 years old I don't crawl under cars very often but I did yesterday. I wanted to see what all is going on under that Outlander and found that there is some under coating and some bear metal that can act as a megaphone for road noise. In particular the exhaust shield. That thin piece of metal is like the skin on a bass drum. That piece itself, once deadened with a few pieces of deadened will sure reduce noise. Then the plastic inserts in the fender wells are another "drum" source of noise. Using the technique posted by gord888 I am proceeding I will post the results after. I first have to order the sound deadner and apply it. Later then...........

Old 09-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Banned

Tires are the reason for the noise.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Sebba
Tires are the reason for the noise.
Well of course tires are the reason as the tires are what makes contact with the road surface but when on a smooth highway there is virtually no or very little noise. What I am trying to do is cut down on the tire noise that is being amplified by the various components of the sheet metal and other materials. Do you understand?

Quick Reply: Road noise