Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Service Reminder - Everything you ever needed to know

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:28 PM

I have a '14 GT series outlander, and was able to use this procedure to reset my maintenance interval. It took a couple of tries to get the sequences right, but when I followed the instructions it worked.

Key off, get to the maintenance screen. Then hold in until the wrench blinks. Then press three times - each time until it beeps -- to get to the interval screen. Mine came up saying "normal". If you then press three times quickly it changes to selection mode. Now keep pushing the button until you get the interval you are looking for. In my case I selected NAS 10 to get the 7500 mile interval that I believe is the best (not necessarily the dealer's recommendation!). Once you get the one you want, press and hold to get the beep and you are there.

I also had to start the sequence all over per the owner's manual to clear the current service warning since I was already past it.

Old 08-02-2014, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Caocao
The maintenance interval is actually 6000 km for severe and 8000 km for regular.
My manual (2009) is 12,000 KM or 6 months for regular.

I turned OFF the service reminder, put it Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and filter and going all the way to 12,000 KM (7500 miles) or 1 year without a second thought. All these 3 or 6 month service intervals are just a waste of money. The same car goes for a 1 year service intervals in Japan and Europe, why wouldn't it work here?

Bottom line is: NO service reminder is the best option for me.

Last edited by Corbul; 08-02-2014 at 01:01 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Corbul
My manual (2009) is 12,000 KM or 6 months for regular.

I turned OFF the second service reminder, put it Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and filter and going all the way to 12,000 KM (7500 miles) or 1 year without a second thought. All these 3 or not 6 month service intervals are just a waste of money. The same car goes for a 1 year service intervals in Japan and Europe, why wouldn't it work here?

Bottom line is: NO service reminder is the best option for me.
I put in QuakerState , or Mobil 1(conventional oil), i buy it on sale for $15/4.4litre jug and a conventional oil filter for $5, and change my oil every 6000kms. Even if I have to do that twice in the time you change yours once. That is still cheaper than Mobil syn with a syn oil filter.

But I agree, we should be using higher grade oils, and change every 24,000km,much less wasted oil and time.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by notbusdrvr
I have a '14 GT series outlander, and was able to use this procedure to reset my maintenance interval. It took a couple of tries to get the sequences right, but when I followed the instructions it worked.

Key off, get to the maintenance screen. Then hold in until the wrench blinks. Then press three times - each time until it beeps -- to get to the interval screen. Mine came up saying "normal". If you then press three times quickly it changes to selection mode. Now keep pushing the button until you get the interval you are looking for. In my case I selected NAS 10 to get the 7500 mile interval that I believe is the best (not necessarily the dealer's recommendation!). Once you get the one you want, press and hold to get the beep and you are there.

I also had to start the sequence all over per the owner's manual to clear the current service warning since I was already past it.
Tried but still not working! I come up to the normal part but as soon as i press the button again it goes back to the previous screen. Oh well, due for an oil change anyway so i'll have the maint folks show me how when i drop off the vehicle.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:07 PM

Hi folks.

I've got the Lancer 2008 (1.5L/109hp) and I see there was quite a bit of discussion regarding the service intervals reminder.
Tried to follow the instructions. Did the reset and I am able to select the "mode", for the service intervals, but I have the following problem:

EU10 shows 26000Km / 13 months
EU11 shows _ _ _ _Km / 13 months
JPN is only months, no Km line at all e.t.c.

These make no sense at all.

Can someone tell me how to set these things to a meaningful setting like:

EU10 = 10000Km/12Month
EU11 = 15000Km/12Month (or vv)

I would really appreciate advise on how to do it without going to the authorized dealer to give an arm or a leg for computer setting it.

Thanks and cheers
Mire

Old 10-13-2014, 01:53 PM

i tried applying the same method to my pajero (2011) and i failed to work. Any ideas how to?

Old 10-08-2015, 08:22 AM

Hi,

I was resetting my service interval on my outlander 2013, and managed to do it twice! The first time, the service interval correctly moved on to 9300 miles and 11 months to run....unfortunately, the second time, it went to 9300 miles and 23 months to run.

Is there any way of getting it back to the previous notification, or do i just need to wait a year?

Thanks

Perry

Old 10-09-2015, 05:04 PM

Its a bit tricky for sure...you gotta be pretty fast on the button...As another member said..just setting it to OFF is the best option and then monitor your mileage. My dealer doesn't reset it after an oil change...so I would just tell them to leave it set to OFF..and thats it. Best of Luck.

Old 10-09-2015, 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by perryw
Hi,

I was resetting my service interval on my outlander 2013, and managed to do it twice! The first time, the service interval correctly moved on to 9300 miles and 11 months to run....unfortunately, the second time, it went to 9300 miles and 23 months to run.

Is there any way of getting it back to the previous notification, or do i just need to wait a year?

Thanks

Perry
Turn it off, then turn it back on....I did the same thing early on.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:26 PM

So the ONLY way I have been able to get the service reminder to go to 8000km/6 months interval is manually doing it with my snap on scan tool (snap on verus, the factory scan tool can be used as well). You go into the instrument cluster module, (or shortcut to the "service interval reset), then I usually go into "set extra reminder interval option", next menu allows to choose "program days and time", or something similar, and then you can enter 8000km (have to enter "0008000" into it to accept the entry, and 006 months instead of 6 months otherwise it says invalid entry. And you have to do it this way every service, otherwise It just reverts to the preset factory intervals, and won't reset back to 8000km/6mth. Also sometimes the interval won't reset to the right number, but if you do the service reset manually, (key off, select interval displayed, hold till wrench flashes, then tap info button once more to "clear" then it will go to the programmed mileage (whatever you want/programmed above.

I know this is not good news for the common person. (not many people have a full function scan tool laying around) but at least you know the dealer (or independent shop with proper scan tool), CAN set it to the proper interval. They may just not be trained at it.

It seems there's a problem with the factory techs (where I bought my outlander anyways), not being trained properly how to set it. They laughed at me when I said it could be done! Now they asked me if on my first oil change, if I could come in and bring my snap on scanner and show/train the service manager how I do it.

By going through all the different area modes (NAS, JAP, EUR, etc) I was never able to get a 8000km/6 month interval. I think the closest I found was 7000/12 months. And it always seems to be adding or subtracing mileage based on other factors unknown.

A lot of what I have learned is from trial and error on my own vehicles (2016 outlander GT and mother in laws '14 RVR gt, and customer vehicles (from 2008-2016 lancers, rvr's and outlanders). There Is a factory procedure in the service manual for changing it, (mostly published for replacing the cluster and re-programming it for the previous mileage). It's very confusing and not very easy to follow tho. There are lots of other options in the service reset options that can also program the mileage interval, (periodic inspection interval, option interval) but I have never had them work all the time, and sometimes gives a error message certain times, the extra service interval option has worked for me everytime.

Last edited by turbocolts; 01-19-2016 at 12:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Service Reminder - Everything you ever needed to know