Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

strange sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 05:44 PM

Guy, I'd be doubtful of the wheel bearing TSB. that was for early '07 models only. JRK's is much newer.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM
No5

Originally Posted by ccernst
So my wife has been complaining for the past month about this noise, but I've never heard it and she couldn't describe it for me to get an idea. Here are her conditions:
  • It only happens on cold days 20's & below
  • It becomes less when it warms up...she only has 4 turns, then she's going straight for a while.
  • She is always in 4Auto
I've just changed the tranny fluid a few thousand miles ago...and I've kept really good maintenance on that.
Yup, my 2007 XLS (85,000 km's) is experiencing the same thing; Particularly this winter as it's been extremely cold in Canada (where I live). I can't reproduce as easily as what you posted though in your videos. Seems like when there's wheel spin (on ice and snow) and turning (ONLY) it's more prevalent.

Initially I thought there was simply snow build up behind my front tires causing the sound. But when I removed the chunks of ice build up, and heard the same sound a few days later, I realized it was something else.

Your post as confirmed my "worry" to be something mechanically wrong.

I have yet to take it to the dealership as in my case, the sound is still somewhat sporadic.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:46 AM

you know, one thing that could be done for someone who is ready to change their transmission fluid and has this noise...when the fluid is changed, take a sample and send it in for analysis. Blackstone labs is a good independent place. I just changed my fluid else I'd send it in. If we were worried about the tranny starting to fail, we'd be looking for elevated wear metals.

Old 02-25-2014, 09:48 AM
No5

Originally Posted by ccernst
you know, one thing that could be done for someone who is ready to change their transmission fluid and has this noise...when the fluid is changed, take a sample and send it in for analysis. Blackstone labs is a good independent place. I just changed my fluid else I'd send it in. If we were worried about the tranny starting to fail, we'd be looking for elevated wear metals.
I already changed my transmission fluid last fall (2013), so that option for me is out.

Old 02-25-2014, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by No5
Yup, my 2007 XLS (85,000 km's) is experiencing the same thing; Particularly this winter as it's been extremely cold in Canada (where I live). I can't reproduce as easily as what you posted though in your videos. Seems like when there's wheel spin (on ice and snow) and turning (ONLY) it's more prevalent.

Initially I thought there was simply snow build up behind my front tires causing the sound. But when I removed the chunks of ice build up, and heard the same sound a few days later, I realized it was something else.

Your post as confirmed my "worry" to be something mechanically wrong.

I have yet to take it to the dealership as in my case, the sound is still somewhat sporadic.
I am experiencing exactly what No5 has described on my 2010 GT/XLS with 33k miles. Only seems to occur when there is wheel spin and cold (Fargo, ND), worrying none the less. I also thought it was ice-buildup initially as that's what it sounds like, but it does it with no ice or snow anywhere on the tire/brake/wheel well. I haven't taken it in to the dealer either.

Old 02-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Old 02-25-2014, 03:06 PM

could be a possibility.

Old 02-25-2014, 03:58 PM

I'd say it's a possibility, but it certainly doesn't sound like a clicking noise. Its a fairly loud whirr/grinding that gets louder the faster you spin the wheel.

Old 02-25-2014, 04:09 PM
No5

Originally Posted by YahFargo
I'd say it's a possibility, but it certainly doesn't sound like a clicking noise. Its a fairly loud whirr/grinding that gets louder the faster you spin the wheel.
Yeah, it sounds exactly what JRK5892 originally posted in his video's.

Does that sound like a "clicking"?

Perhaps the TSB is simply using the incorrect terminology to describe the sound. But the other portions of it (temperature wise) seem to follow the pattern I'm hearing.

Heard it all the way home today from work....currently -22 Celcius with a brutal wind chill.

Car was parked outside the entire business day (7:30 am - 3:00 pm).

Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM

It definitely doesn't sound like a clicking noise, but more like a grinding noise.
Will this be covered under Warranty if we take it to a dealership for repair? I am from Toronto, Canada.

Quick Reply: strange sound when turning