Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

strange sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2014, 08:13 AM

Hello fellow Winnipeg Outtie owner. Had enough snow yet?

Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 AM
No5

Originally Posted by Guyfromhe
Hello fellow Winnipeg Outtie owner. Had enough snow yet?
Yes!! Another 10-15 cm's yesterday/today and into the night!

That being said, the temperature has been around -8 Celsius and a lot of snow on the ground. I have been trying to see if I can reproduce the front-end noise since my fix yesterday. So far I cannot! - It appears the grease was the issue. I have lots of wheel spin in the deep snow and no sound when turning.

Last edited by No5; 03-06-2014 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:30 PM

Update: So the noise stopped when the temperature warmed up in Calgary however I got a call from the dealer and the parts are in, they will need the car for half a day to replace the parts. I will drop off the car Wednesday night and pick it up sometime on Thursday, I will keep you guys updated as to how it goes.
Unfortunately the forecast calls for mild temperatures so I will not be able to really test if it has been fixed or not and since I hate the cold weather I am not going to wish for the -30ish we got again....lol

Old 03-12-2014, 06:23 AM
No5

Originally Posted by lokks
Update: So the noise stopped when the temperature warmed up in Calgary however I got a call from the dealer and the parts are in, they will need the car for half a day to replace the parts. I will drop off the car Wednesday night and pick it up sometime on Thursday, I will keep you guys updated as to how it goes.
Unfortunately the forecast calls for mild temperatures so I will not be able to really test if it has been fixed or not and since I hate the cold weather I am not going to wish for the -30ish we got again....lol
Exactly what are they ordering?

As I mentioned I applied TSB #10-26-001R (simply grease) and have not had the sound since. It's -21°C right now in Winnipeg and no issue for me.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by No5
Exactly what are they ordering?

As I mentioned I applied TSB #10-26-001R (simply grease) and have not had the sound since. It's -21°C right now in Winnipeg and no issue for me.
Grease kit.

Old 03-18-2014, 11:58 AM

Ok sorry...for the delayed update.
I picked up the vehicle from the dealer and so far good. no cold weather yet to really try it.

Old 03-19-2014, 05:38 PM

Hi, I am having the same issue as well. 2010 XLS, the sound only comes out when I am making a left turn(grinding ice sound when there are no ice build-up in the wheel well) and especially in the -20s temp. The sound pretty much disappears once it is warm up.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by mopiki
Hi, I am having the same issue as well. 2010 XLS, the sound only comes out when I am making a left turn(grinding ice sound when there are no ice build-up in the wheel well) and especially in the -20s temp. The sound pretty much disappears once it is warm up.
Take it to the dealer and they should know what to do. It should be under warranty depending on where you located.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:54 PM

Ok, so today I brought the car in to do wheel change since winter is passed, I highlight to the person/front desk(not sure why I am not allowed to tell the mechanic instead they had to be the middle man passing the message) about this chattering noise when turning during -20 below temp.

They were not aware of this issue, and we were told to bring in the car when the weather is cold below -20. Because as long as the mechanic did not hear the noise, they wont do anything about it. I'm like, once the car warms up, the noise will be gone.

I know we can video it, or is there a official website or notes about this issues coming out from the mouth of Mitsubishi?

Mitsubishi Workshop Manuals > Outlander 2WD L4-2.4L (4B12) (2008) > Transmission and Drivetrain > Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints > Axle Shaft Assembly > Constant Velocity Joint Boot > Component Information > Technical Service Bulletins > Customer I

I have the above links...but then.....