Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tie rods problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2014, 09:41 PM
Default Tie rods problem

Just bought my dream car, a 2008 Outlander. Took it to a dealer for check up today and he told me that i need left & right front outer tie rods. He asked me for 452. to do the job. Is that a fair price? I live in Chicago, IL

Old 04-25-2014, 11:10 PM

you obviously dont have the knowledge, skills or tools to do it yourself. So yes.

Old 04-26-2014, 04:23 PM

You can buy outer tie rods for like $12 a piece from rock auto. If you were near me, I would do it for $300...lol. It's not that hard of a job, 2 hours at the most. So you're paying @$25 for parts and @$400 for labor. Man I hate auto repair places. If you can replace a shock or a set of brakes, you can do it yourself. $452 is a total rip off no matter where you live. If you need to know how to do it, PM me. Or google "outer tie rod replacement", plenty of videos out there.

Last edited by jkeaton; 04-26-2014 at 04:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 01:46 AM

Akzel-- Thats very ignorant answer. If you dont have good advice for someone just DONT.
jKeaton--thanx for your good response

Old 04-27-2014, 11:09 AM

Wherever you go, I'd get an alignment once complete. I wouldn't trust myself to get that part right. Perfect time to get a Firestone Lifetime Alignment program. $150 and you bring it in as often as you want. I get mine done every oil change, 7.5k miles.

Outer tie rod replacements are not too hard to change. The trick I've been told is to count the turns taking them off, then put the new ones on with the same number of turns. It won't be perfect, but it will get you in the ball park.

Last edited by ccernst; 04-28-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: missed a "not" in 2nd paragraph. last week was miserably sick.
Old 04-27-2014, 11:47 AM
Banned

Let's see what's needed:

2x Tie rods
Alignment

So you remove the nut off the ball joint, release the locking nut, then spin the tie rod off, and spin the new one on. Repeat on the other side, then align the car.

$450+ to do something that simple?!?!?! LOOOL.

Akzle nailed it, whether you like it or not.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by stanza75
Akzel-- Thats very ignorant answer. If you dont have good advice for someone just DONT.
jKeaton--thanx for your good response
ignorant answer??
Ignorant question.
You want advice? Find yourself a good husband to maintain your vehicles.

Old 04-28-2014, 10:38 AM

No one, including myself, asked if they were comfortable doing it themselves. If not, I would recommend not going to the dealership for most items. Tie rods can be done anywhere and most shops can do alignments. IMO, I'd go to a NAPA service center. NAPA parts are decent for everyday stuff and come with a 2yr warranty on labor. Dealerships may have OEM parts in stock, but they charge high labor and pressure you into other services. If going other than a dealership, ask for Moog tie rod ends. Moog makes excellent suspension & steering parts and are readily available. They are more costly than others, but they will likely outlast most brands.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Akzle
ignorant answer??
Ignorant question.
You want advice? Find yourself a good husband to maintain your vehicles.
Profile says male...

Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by stanza75
Just bought my dream car, a 2008 Outlander. Took it to a dealer for check up today and he told me that i need left & right front outer tie rods. He asked me for 452. to do the job. Is that a fair price? I live in Chicago, IL
I did the tie rods on my 2007 at just ~50k miles. It does require some know-how and some tools but it is a doable job in the garage. Like others have said, the biggest deal is the alignment afterwards. I did the alignment myself using the "string method" but would advise you to visit a qualified mechanic. I would estimate 1-2hrs labor ($80/hr), parts ($40) and alignment ($80-$150). Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Tie rods problem