Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Timing Belt for 2nd gen Outlanders

Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 AM
Default Timing Belt for 2nd gen Outlanders

This is a long post. You may need to wait to the weekend to read it all.

I have two timing belt issues that I hoped my fellow Outlanders here could help me with. I searched but didn't find this specific info.

I have an 07 XLS V6 with ~55,000 miles on it. At my latest dealer oil change they recommended replacing the timing belt on my next visit. Their cost for that is $600.

I checked the service manual and saw this:

"The timing belt is required to be replaced every 60,000 miles in all states except CA, MA, ME and VT where replacement is recommended. The first required replacement in CA, MA, VT and ME is at 105,000 miles and every 60,000 miles thereafter."

I'm in Missouri, so apparently I should change belts soon. But why do so my fellow Outlanders in those 4 states get to hold on to their $600 a little longer? Do all Outlanders in those states use chains or have less belt wear due to throttling down engines to meet tougher emission standards? Can I wait to 100k, too, as my dealer said it was a Mits. recommendation and not specifically that the belt was worn.

The second thing I noticed in the service manual is that "Timing Belt and Related Parts" are listed as covered components in the Powertrain warranty, but this note is at the top of the page:

"Coverage applies only to the repair or replacement of powertrain components originally manufactured and installed by Mitsubishi Motors that are defective in material or factory workmanship under normal use and maintenance"

So, is changing my timing belt covered, or is that coverage only for defective belts not normal wear?

If you've managed to read this entire post I really appreciate it. In summary what I wanted to know is should I replace my belt now, and is it covered by warranty?

Thanks for any help you guys can provide me.

Last edited by packlad; 10-16-2009 at 01:45 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 10-16-2009, 10:40 AM

As far as I know, V6 Outlander 2007-UP timing belts are made out of kevlar meaning that they should easily last 100,000 miles as stated in the Mitsubishi Outlander manual. Whats interesting is that the states that are mentioned to replace the timing belt at 60,000 such as CA are the states that sell the 213HP PZEV V6 Outlanders, all other states sale 220HP engines, so I am guessing that California emission Outlanders use different timing belts on the V6 models than the regular V6 Outies? Can anyone confirm that? Also, as with most dealerships, you have to be careful, read the manual first, age of the internet is also having a bad effect on service departments as people are more aware of getting ripped off by seeking advice from other car owners. Anyway, in your case, I suspect dealership is just trying to rip you off. If it was up to them, they would recommend spark plug replacements, timing belt changes, and what not, every 3000 miles.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 10-16-2009 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:51 AM

As far as I know, V6 Outlander 2007-UP timing belts are made out of kevlar meaning that they should easily last 100,000 miles as stated in the Mitsubishi Outlander manual. Whats interesting is that the states that are mentioned to replace the timing belt at 60,000 such as CA are the states that sell the 213HP PZEV V6 Outlanders, all other states sale 220HP engines, so I am guessing that California emission Outlanders use different timing belts on the V6 models than the regular V6 Outies? Can anyone confirm that? Also, as with most dealerships, you have to be careful, read the manual first, age of the internet is also having a bad effect on service departments as people are more aware of getting ripped off by seeking advice from other car owners. Anyway, in your case, I suspect dealership is just trying to rip you off. If it was up to them, they would recommend spark plug replacements, timing belt changes, and what not, every 3000 miles.

EDIT: Some Mitsubishi dealerships don't even know that 6 cylinder 07-up Outlanders come with a 6 speed automatic transmission and 4 cylinders come with CVTs. Get to know your car a bit better before getting any major maintenance/repairs done.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:54 AM

With the wording they have, sounds like 60k miles is your normal use limit for the timing belt and once that is replaced, by either you or the dealer, that is no longer under warranty.

Looking at the service manual, I don't see that wording, just instructions on what is needed to get to and remove/install the timing belt. The one I have is not the one that is linked in one of the stickies, it is much better and is for the 3.0L and is very close to 200MB. if you want, I can PM you a link for the timing belt section or the whole thing.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:59 AM
tcp
Default Interesting

I think the timing belt replacement interval may have more to do with emission requirements than I was aware of. My theory would be that in those states, the emission requirements have to be warranted for 105k miles whereas the rest of the states would be 60 miles. Timing belt failure would cause an emission problem and therefor mitsu has to warrantee it for the full 105miles. The belt in my toyota is good for 90k miles and I would bet the mitsu doesn't use an inferior product. Timing belt failures are not very common anymore and many manufacturers guarantee them for at least 90k miles.

I wouldn't have it done right away, but start saving for it and have it done in the future at around 75k miles. That's just my impression

Old 10-16-2009, 11:48 AM

all the timing belts are the same. the recommendations are political, nothing more.

the belt will last 100k. do it then.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:27 PM

It is not covered under warranty to have it replaced unless its for defect or damage. So normal wear and tear isnt one of those. But it should last on average 60-100k miles. So I would wait till closer to 100k, and since you are already at 60k (i'm guessing) just have them check it every 10k miles or so untill the 100k. Since they really arent saying you NEED to change it now.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:45 AM

Thanks to everyone for answering all of my questions. You guys are the best!