Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Timing belt confusion

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 08:57 PM
Default Timing belt confusion Called Mitsu fo an answer

I have called 2 dealers and both state that 60k is the change time for timing belt on 07 V6. The manual says 105k except for 4b1 engine. When I told them what the manual said one dealer told me that Mitsubishi changed their recommendations due to it being and interference engine and the other dealer told me that some engines have a chain (I know the new 4cl have a chain) and that's the 105k change. I think I am calling BS for both dealers and from what I have read I am good to 105k. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Last edited by Clint S; 12-21-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 09:17 PM

well just drive until it locks up ....... then you can tell us how many miles you can go before you have to change it ..........or you could go to the gates timing belt site and look it up

Old 12-20-2011, 10:02 PM

I was hoping some nice and helpful people could shed some light on the reason the owners manual and the dealer are saying different things, not what Gates says. If it needs to be changed I will change it. If Mitsubishi recommends 105k I will wait.

Last edited by Clint S; 12-20-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:52 AM
ndj

Originally Posted by mxmikie
well just drive until it locks up ....... then you can tell us how many miles you can go before you have to change it ..........or you could go to the gates timing belt site and look it up
Helpful

I was hoping some nice and helpful people could shed some light on the reason the owners manual and the dealer are saying different things, not what Gates says. If it needs to be changed I will change it. If Mitsubishi recommends 105k I will wait.
I don't know the answer to your question but if I were you I'd....

1. Go with the recommendation in the service guide that came with YOUR car, or,
2. Ring Mitsubishi HQ in your territory and have them advise along with a written confirmation.

Rest assured Mitsubishi will walk away from a warranty claim by any means possible if your belt breaks so protect yourself.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Old 12-21-2011, 05:05 PM

So I called the 1 800 Mitsu # and here is what they said.
Mitsibishi's recommended change interval is 105k. Also the timing belt and all components are covered up to 100k by the powertrain warranty, but only if it is determined that the belt breaks due to a defect and not wear.
I then asked " If the the change interval is 105K then you are essentially saying it should last 105 correct" . They said "Yes, that is the change interval". I then asked " If it should last 105 and the change interval is 105 if it breaks before 105 it should be considered a defective right."
Here is where the shoe pinches, the answer was " Only if the dealer determines is was defective, it is not a covered issue if it is from normal wear and tear"
So what I gathered out of this talk was the recommended change interval is 105k, but if you do not get it done at 60k as the dealer recommends they probably will not cover anything if it breaks because they will say it is from wear and tear. I also asked about getting an outside shop to do the change and they said "if the dealer determines the break is from inferior parts or improper install it will not be covered.

Why set a service interval and not stand by it. They are basically giving the dealer the power on this and we all know what they are going to do because warranty work does not pay as well as costumer pay.
Now I have to decide what to do, go by what Mitsu says and wait , because it should last that long or play the lotto get it done at the dealer and get bent over so I keep my powertrain warranty if the belt does go.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:21 PM

Since I just bought a 2011, I decided to check my owner's manual. It says 105K miles, though it might depend on the kind of engine. Mine is the 4 cyl used in the ES. I take it none of the Outlanders have timing chains?

Old 12-22-2011, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Isophorone
Since I just bought a 2011, I decided to check my owner's manual. It says 105K miles, though it might depend on the kind of engine. Mine is the 4 cyl used in the ES. I take it none of the Outlanders have timing chains?
V6 Outlanders with 6B31 engine have a timing belt. The 2.4L 4 cyliner Outlanders (4B12 engine) have a timing chain, so you don't have to replace anything at 60,000 miles as far as I know. It just needs to be inspected at certain intervals and possibly adjusted if needed so, but overall timing chains simply last a lot longer than timing belts, timing chain should last for at least 180,000 miles.

Last edited by blitzkrieg79; 12-22-2011 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:56 PM

I've resurrected this thread because my wife and I are considering buying an 07 LS with 115,000 km (71,457 miles).

I realize that the V6 requires a periodic timing belt change, so I called our biggest local Mitsubishi dealer's service dept to get some information about when the change is required and whether if another place does it, or if I do it myself, and there is then a belt failure before the power-train warranty runs out, if Mit would cover any possible engine damage that might result.

I was told by the service rep. that they had just done a V6 belt yesterday so she knew the answers without having to check.

First, the recommended replacement interval (in Canada, anyway) is either 7 years or 160,000 km (99,419 miles) whichever comes first. Any engine damage occurring as a result of the belt breaking outside of those limits voids the warranty for repair of that damage.

Second, if any place other than Mit does the work, or if I do the job myself and can even produce documantary or photographic evidence to support that, the engine part of the power train warranty is, practically speaking, voided (at least the engine parts that were damaged as a result of the belt breaking would not be covered). "This isn't an oil change", she said.

Third, while doing the belt change they also replace the tensioner and crank seal. They normally do not replace the water pump unless it is leaking because she says that Mit water pumps last "for a very long time". She did, however, recommend replacing the alternator belt at that time because they only charge for the part, not the labor, while doing the t belt job.

Therefore, in order to retain the engine part of the power-train warranty for another 4 years, or up to 160,000 km, what we should do is pay Mit $1,122 to replace the original timing belt, tensioner and crank seal and an additional $140 for the alternator belt (yikes, that's most expensive serpentine belt I've ever seen).

After the warranty is toast I can then replace the T belt myself or have someone else do it.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:48 PM

We ended up trading in the 07 Outie and getting a 12 Lancer AWC so I did not have to worry. My 09 Outie just turned 30k so it seems I have a few more years before the change..

Just a side note I change the belts on my 04 Eclipse with an aftermarket one and less that a year later I hit a patch of ice, front wheel spun and when the tires caught the balancer and belt broke causing the timing belt to jump 3 cogs and taking out the crank sensor.

Quick Reply: Timing belt confusion