Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Timing Belt/ Water Pump Scam

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 04:06 PM
Default Timing Belt/ Water Pump Scam

I asked my local stealership for a quote on replacing the timing belt on 2011 Outlander V6 and they included $256 for a water pump and $130 for a radiator flush (because the pump would be off). There is no reason to believe there is anything wrong with my water pump. From what I've read there is no need to take the water pump off to change the timing belt, it's just conveniently accessible.
Since when is changing a water pump routine maintenance? This seems to be common practice. It's part of the engine, so if it needs to be replaced at 130000 kms it's defective and ought to be covered under warranty. If it's not defective why do they want to replace it? Seems like a make work project to me. Has anyone argued this with their dealer/ HQ?

Old 01-16-2017, 04:41 PM

Sure is a scam. F them. I wouldn't be surprised if they charge you for it and not replace it anyway. If it's leaking, or rattling or noisy, then yes absolutely change it at the same time. If it looks and sounds great, I'm sure it can wait till the next timing belt change. Don't let them do it just for the convenience, that old pump might outlive the new one!

Old 01-17-2017, 07:48 AM

On most cars, it has become regular practice to replace the water pump when doing a timing belt because the labor is basically the same for both jobs and it's a "while you're in there" sort of thing. If your water pump was to fail (which it eventually will) you would be looking at the same labor amount to replace it as you would be to replace the timing belt. Since you're already paying for the labor to do the belt, you're only looking at the cost of the part of the water pump (and a nominal increase in labor to r & r the pump). If your Outlander has enough miles on it to warrant replacing the belt, your water pump is probably not long for this world. The part I *would* call a scam is the flush. A flush isn't needed in this case - only a drain and fill with new coolant (which is probably all you would get anyway).

Old 01-17-2017, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by kev994
I asked my local stealership for a quote on replacing the timing belt on 2011 Outlander V6 and they included $256 for a water pump and $130 for a radiator flush (because the pump would be off). There is no reason to believe there is anything wrong with my water pump. From what I've read there is no need to take the water pump off to change the timing belt, it's just conveniently accessible.
Since when is changing a water pump routine maintenance? This seems to be common practice. It's part of the engine, so if it needs to be replaced at 130000 kms it's defective and ought to be covered under warranty. If it's not defective why do they want to replace it? Seems like a make work project to me. Has anyone argued this with their dealer/ HQ?

Yeah can probably get away with a pump replacement and just a fill unless it's really bad and never been changed. My understanding is that the coolant acts as a lubricant and it breaks down over time. If your pump fails and the motor overheats, it's going to cost a whole lot more down the road. I always changed mine while doing the timing belt. Never had any issues...

Old 01-17-2017, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by kev994
...Since when is changing a water pump routine maintenance? This seems to be common practice. It's part of the engine, so if it needs to be replaced at 130000 kms it's defective and ought to be covered under warranty. If it's not defective why do they want to replace it? Seems like a make work project to me. Has anyone argued this with their dealer/ HQ?
I have just had the cam belt replaced on my v6 by the dealer as the 5 year period was up (here the belt interval is 5 years / 100000 km, I was just short of the distance). They did not try any upsell, and in any case as you say it would be a warranty item if the water pump needed replacing.

However, our VW had to have the waterpump / supercharger clutch assembly replaced just recently before 100000 km as the pump was weeping and coolant seized the supercharger clutch assembly. No warranty as the time was well expired regardless of the distance. Reading VW forums it seems quite common to replace waterpumps when belts are replaced and our VW experience bears that out. A previous Toyota also had a waterpump replaced due to a leak at what I considered a low mileage. It seems now that, statistically speaking, a lot of things are made to last the warranty and not much more. As the Mitsubishis tend to have 5 or 10 year warranties (depending on market) maybe the initial components have better longevity.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:34 PM

I did the timing belt myself at 100k miles. I did not change the hydraulic tensioner or water pump.
I'll likely be in there for timing belt change #2 this summer. I will definitely be changing water pump and tensioner. I don't think they'd last to 300k miles. That being said, I will be saving my pump if it looks like it is in good shape...you just never know.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:15 PM

The dealerships have convinced many that it's necessary to change the pump each time you change the belt. Those not wanting to throw money away do the pump every second belt change.

Old 01-19-2017, 05:47 PM

Its just that as long as your into the belt might as well replace water pump.

Old 01-27-2017, 01:50 PM

I did my t-belt change at the dealership, as their price was comparatively reasonable, and I knew they'd know the routine precisely. They didn't try to sell me a new water pump, and I even asked if it should be replaced. They did sell me a new tensioner, though, as the old one was leaking. I do agree, though, that it's common to just replace the water pump when doing the belt regardless if it's leaking. An independent Subaru shop that I had immense respect for always urged the water pumps when doing t-belts.

Old 01-27-2017, 03:36 PM

In older cars the water pump was driven by the fan belt and so was the alternator. But now they run it from the cam belt two issues can crop up. One is the mileage over 2 belt changes will be longer than they expect the life of the pump bearings to last. The second is the tension on a cambelt is higher than s simple fan belt so the bearings do get more load on them now too. I agree its a bit much to be expected to have a new pump just because you are having a new belt and the old pump is OK. But if it fails during the life of the new belt it could make the belt jump or slip a tooth or two if the bearings collapse. Its cheaper and safer to say you need a new belt now then hit you with a bill for an engine rebuild if they just do the belt and not try to get you to do both. If you see what I mean.

Quick Reply: Timing Belt/ Water Pump Scam