Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire pressure sensor and winter wheels/tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 PM
Default Tire pressure sensor and winter wheels/tires

I'm planning on getting a set of winter wheels/tires and was wondering if there is anything special that is required or needs to be done due to the tire pressure sensors or can I just make the swap as usual?

Thanks in advance!

Old 10-30-2008, 11:44 PM
Default RE: Tire pressure sensor and winter wheels/tires

if you put sensors in the new rims (unless your using the same rims) there wont be a problem. the worst problem that could occur is that your tire pressure monitoring system will sent an alert if you do not use the sensors. its not a big deal. just make sure to check the pressure on your own like you would any other vehicle not equipped with a monitoring system. but if your using the sensors, it should be all good.

Old 10-31-2008, 07:39 AM

I'll elaborate a bit:
If you get rims with sensors, you will still need to go to the dealer twice a year to have the system reprogrammed at a cost of $30-$50 each time.
If you don't use the sensors (that's what I do), you will get a warning on the DEL screen after you start the car , youcan reset the warningby holding the info button for 2 seconds. The TPMS warning will come back and you will also need to reset it everytime another typewarning comes on i.e low fuel, ASC, icy roads,.... You will also have to live with a continuous warning triangle at the top of the DEL screen and a light in the instrument cluster.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:03 PM

I'm a car guy so checking tire pressure is a regular thing with me. I'm just glad to hear that all I have to tolerate is a warning light. I wasn't sure if the Outlander had an audible warning or not like some other cars.

Thanks again!

Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 AM

You'll hear a bip when the wanrning comes on but that's it. Apparentlysome car are unussable if you don't have the sensors.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:37 PM

There will be no problems as long the guy who install your tires will NOT HIT THE SENSOR with the machine that change tires

Tell them you have Tire sensor. because they will charge you for air valve make sure you only pay for the tires and wheel balance.

Old 11-03-2008, 04:33 PM

for sure. tire places are crooks anyway. so have your keen eye on the bill