Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire rotation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 04:35 PM
Default Tire rotation?

I got winter tires right now and will put back the oem geolander tires on my outie ls? how do i rotate the tires? this will be the first time for tire rotation as i dont drive the car that much. i read that tire rotation depends on what type of tires do i have. do i do cross rotation where right front goes left rear, left front goes right rear, and rear tires just go forward on the same side? again, i have the oem all season 16" geolander tires. anyone who'd done this, please advise and thanks in advance.

Old 04-08-2009, 04:40 PM

tire rotation orientation only matters between radius or bias tires. light duty tires are radius and are rotated directly front to back. Bias tires are found on larger trucks for heavy duty use.

Never mix radius and bias tires...it is not fun!

Old 04-09-2009, 09:18 AM
tcp
Default My system

I swap them front to back on each side. Something about turning them around can make the belts separate...not sure if it's true, but that always works for me. In the spring I put the summers on and make sure the one on the front is now on the back, staying on the same side. Same thing with the winters in the fall.

Originally Posted by judgfm
I got winter tires right now and will put back the oem geolander tires on my outie ls? how do i rotate the tires? this will be the first time for tire rotation as i dont drive the car that much. i read that tire rotation depends on what type of tires do i have. do i do cross rotation where right front goes left rear, left front goes right rear, and rear tires just go forward on the same side? again, i have the oem all season 16" geolander tires. anyone who'd done this, please advise and thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by tcp
I swap them front to back on each side. Something about turning them around can make the belts separate...not sure if it's true, but that always works for me.
i've heard that too...

may not be a bad idea to chalk/paint pen the inside of the tire DRVR or PSS to keep the sides straight if you ever take them all off at once...or to keep a tire shop honest.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:18 PM

ok thanks for the reply. i will rotate them front to back on same side. i hope costco marked them when they took my all season tires. i will make sure i will mark my winter tires in the inside. thanks again.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:57 PM
tcp
Default tape

I just put a piece of tape on them, and mark it when I remove them as to where they are supposed to go when I put them back on. Then I pressure them down and stack them until required next.

Originally Posted by judgfm
ok thanks for the reply. i will rotate them front to back on same side. i hope costco marked them when they took my all season tires. i will make sure i will mark my winter tires in the inside. thanks again.

Old 04-10-2009, 11:32 AM

Normal rotation is front to back and back to front. you rarely cross them over.

Old 04-10-2009, 12:26 PM

Not according to the manual. If your tire is not unidirectional, the manual actually tells you to cross them over

Old 04-10-2009, 01:33 PM

hmmm, after doing some digging, it seems like the idea to do a straight front to back rotation on radial tires had to do with using steel belts in the tires. I guess current tires use other types of belts that do not have this limitation.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=43

I tried going to Yokohama's website, but they just said refer to manual.

Old 04-10-2009, 02:04 PM

True CCERNST

Some owner's manual recommend to follow the arrow on the tires. if it's cross over or just and back transfer. I couldn't find any on my Yokohama Avid tires

Quick Reply: Tire rotation?