Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tire size equivalent for 215/70/16

Old 06-09-2011, 06:09 PM

Another item to think about is the spare wheel. You can't use mismatched diameter tyres so if you put taller tyres on then the spare has to be changed to match. I dont carry a spare with the vehicle but when I take the caravan away the spare is mounted on the van. The equivalent to 235/70/16 is 205/80/16. It will still fit in the spare cradle. (just). An extra benefit of the larger tyres is the extra 1/2in of ground clearance.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
Here's what to do. Go to Discount tire's website www.discounttire.com.

On the first page where it says select your vehicle, put in your Outlander. After entering all the information you will get to a screen that shows the P215/70/16 tires and there will also be a link that says "View Optional/Plus size tires". Click on that link and it will show you all the other size tires that fit your Outlander.

The P225/70/16 tires will fit just fine on the Outlander. I replaced my OEM Yokohama's with BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Touring tires. I have 4,000 miles on them and really like them. Another good tire is the General Grabber HTS and yes the Goodyear Fortera's are very good tires.
Hey there,

Can you tell me more about those BF goodrich tires you have? I am thinking of getting those. I really want to have better handling than what the Yoko Geolanders 3033 OEM tires gave. Do you find it handles well? Also, how is it in rain? How is the treadwear?

Thanks!

Old 06-10-2011, 08:08 PM

I put the same size P215/70/16 BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Touring Tires on my Outlander. I got mine at Discount Tire. The price at the time was $107 per tire, plus the cost of balancing and installation. There was no problem with Discount using the same TPMS sensors that came with the car. The tire carries a 60,000 mile treadwear warranty.

As far as handling goes it's about the same as the OEM Geolanders, and you have to remember the Geolander's are technically considered a performance tire with a speed rating on 130 mph. The BFG tires are rated at 118 mph so the fact that handling is the same bodes well for them. Sorry I can't tell you too much about rain performance since I live in Phoenix (the desert) and we haven't had any significant rain since I put them on. I chose the BFG's because they handle well, and have the 60,000 mile warranty.

Below is a link to Tirerack's website. They test a lot of tires including the BFG's and if you're looking for a tire that performs significantly better than the the Geolanders or BFG you should be able to find one there.

www.tirerack.com

Old 06-11-2011, 07:42 AM

Before you buy the BF Goodrich tyres check out the feedback on the forums. Not good! Also check out the Toyo Open Country and others and compare.
I did and found it very helpfull.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:43 AM

I agree with Callross. You need to research the tires carefully. After all tires are not like a shirt that you can just return if it doesn't fit right. You're driving style and climate may be very different from mine. For example we don't get snow or a lot of rain in Phoenix so wet performance is not as important to me and my driving style is conservative most of the time. Good Luck

Old 06-12-2011, 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by azjake
I agree with Callross. You need to research the tires carefully. After all tires are not like a shirt that you can just return if it doesn't fit right. You're driving style and climate may be very different from mine. For example we don't get snow or a lot of rain in Phoenix so wet performance is not as important to me and my driving style is conservative most of the time. Good Luck

True enough. I've looked at the Michelin LTX MS2 which apparently are really good - tirerack gave them great reviews. Also, a local tires hop here said I have 30 days - if I don't like them, I can return them no problem. I've talked to some people that have dealt with him and apparently it's true - he takes them back no problem.

So we'll see...

CHeers

Old 06-12-2011, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by callross56
Another item to think about is the spare wheel. You can't use mismatched diameter tyres so if you put taller tyres on then the spare has to be changed to match. I dont carry a spare with the vehicle but when I take the caravan away the spare is mounted on the van. The equivalent to 235/70/16 is 205/80/16. It will still fit in the spare cradle. (just). An extra benefit of the larger tyres is the extra 1/2in of ground clearance.
why can't the spare be a different size? my fullsize spare on my ranger is a different size than what are normally used. I had a flat on my Pontiac Grand Prix, which uses a "doughnut" wheel and is much smaller than the regular tires. Spares are used to be as temp wheels and are not to be used other than immediate/short-term use to get you to a tire shop. If anyone is really worried about mis-matching tire sizes, just make sure full size tires are up front and the mis-matches are in the back....and make sure you do not turn on AWD.

Old 06-13-2011, 03:29 AM

The outlander drive system is totally different from the Ranger and Pontiac.
Odd diameter wheels affect the traction control and the stability control. Risk it if you like but Mitsubishi wont warrant it if you stuff the transmission. It only cost me $25 for a new Bridgestone limited use spare on eBay. It came from a dealer that replaces them for a full size spare. Try your local tyre dealer. Its not worth the risk to the transmission. The limited use spare I got is far better than the original one.

Old 06-21-2011, 10:13 AM

I switched to 235/60R17 for my summer ride. stock 215 is just too much rolling. I keep the 16" rims for my winter tires. save some bucks for peeling rubber and balance twice a year

Old 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM

A friend of mine in Europe is getting me a set of OEM Mitsubishi 19' rims which they don't have it in the States. Figures: 5x114.3, 8x19, ET 38.

I am thinking to have them as a second set for summers, replacing the current 18' OEM with all weather Goodyear tires (I'm in Boston) for winter times.

So I am starting to search for tires and related questions to this thread.

1) What is the best tire size for the 19' wheel? (245/45/19 98W?) any good fuel consumption/mileage and long tread wear recommends?

2) Do I have to purchase another TMPS? and does all TPMS fit or have to go for an OEM to get the on board display works?

3) Do I need to purchase a "match" spare tire?

4) Since the wheels don't come with any lug nuts, What is the nut size should I buy? does the current 18' (5x115?, 7x18, ET 36? not sure these numbers) OEM nuts fit (or universal will fit)? or I have to look for OEM nuts for 19' wheel?

Last edited by fiestataz; 07-01-2011 at 09:55 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Tire size equivalent for 215/70/16