Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Towing with the 3.0L V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 07:48 PM
Default Towing with the 3.0L V6

Hi there! I'm new to this forum. I have a 2014 Outlander GT SAWC with the 3.0L V6. I have a trailer that weighs around 3,000lbs with everything in it(water, luggage etc.) I've towed this trailer with the Outie before and have noticed the quite abysmal torque curve this engine has since 5th and 6th gear are nearly useless. 5th gear can be used but 100% of throttle has to be applied and only on flat stretches. 4th can be used for most hills and 3rd is for the steep ones. Maybe I'm not being reasonable since I am used to German cars with turbos and the instant torque. I am curious, though, has anyone got experience towing with this rig? I would love to know if I should use the paddles and leave it in 4th gear the whole way even on flat stretches. Would that give me better fuel mileage? Or should I juggle between 5th and 4th? Leaving it in "D" is out of the question since the transmission will go all over the place. Please help!

Old 08-03-2015, 09:26 PM

I have pulled a 92 Galant VR4 with my 10. No issues at all.

I have also pulled a 12ft dual axle trailer without any issues up and down the mountains of PA.

I left it in drive and just took it easy. Build up momentum down and let the speed fall as you climb with moderate throttle.

On flats I was able to use the cruise.

Where will you be towing at?

Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 PM

But you better have trailer brakes on that trailer.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:01 AM

Of course it has brakes! It's a new 16 foot travel trailer. I'm switching things up from my 34 foot fifth wheel. I live in Canada and will be heading from Calgary Alberta to Vancouver.

Old 08-04-2015, 01:05 AM

Originally Posted by White92VR4
But you better have trailer brakes on that trailer.
You just recommend leaving it in Drive? I just noticed it jumping all over the gears so using the paddles worked the best IMO. I'm just looking for the best fuel mileage since it will be a long trip.

Old 08-04-2015, 05:38 AM

HI

whats your MPG when towing, I have a 2010 with the V6 3.0. I get around 11 to 12 mpg or around 22 ltr/100km and we have lots of hills. My trailer is around 2900 plus all the necessities I would say the total is around 3100

Old 08-04-2015, 09:56 AM

Towing my 3,000lb trailer with a couple people in the back, I can get 18mpg. With a headwind, a generator in the back and more cargo, the worst I've gotten was 16.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:02 AM

wow that's pretty good. Next time I will back off the throttle a bit and see if I can improve my mileage. I have a sunset trail 17ck hybrid and front of the trailer is quite large. I usually leave it in Drive but will be playing with the manual shift next time on the road. We have lots of hills in Nova Scotia compared to alberta, would explain the difference.

Anyway, I would be interested to find out how much gas you used going to BC as you will be going through some big hills/mountains on your way there.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:56 AM

I can't stand leaving it in drive. The transmission just can't make up its mind on what gear to be in, in any situation. And yeah the mpg is decent. I think in the 2014 redesign they improved it with detuning the engine and better aerodynamics. I'll let you know what I get on the trip! I leave today.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:04 PM

What type of brake controller did you install, and how did the install go? I have a 2012 Outlander with the factory tow package. I just bought a trailer that I have to put electric brakes on. From what I've researched, I need a 7 round connecter. The Outlander has a 4 flat. I'm wondering if I need to bypass the entire factory harness, or could use an adapter converting the 4 flat to a 7 round.

Quick Reply: Towing with the 3.0L V6