Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Towing Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2013, 08:23 PM
Default Towing Hitch

Hi,

I'm new here and just wanted to ask what would be the cheapest way to get a bike rack for my car.

I recently bought a Outlander sports 2013 and have been looking around for tow hitch and bike racks that doesn't need tow hitches. From what I read from reviews most ppl are scared of ordering tow hitches online because sometimes the website are horrible at return policies when they do give you a hitch that doesn't fit. Because of that I really want to find one locally. So I went with Uhaul however they couldn't promise me that they wouldn't put a hole in my car so my wife got scared and backed out.

So do you guys have any kind of suggestions? I've been researching about this for awhile now and it seems our lil outlanders not so popular so dont even see a picture about the hitch. ^.^

Thanks for the reply ^.^ and nice to meet you all.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:20 PM

get a professionally installed one. Expensive but worth it.

Or consider roof racks.

I can fit 3 adult bikes in my station wagon...

Old 12-28-2013, 08:43 AM

I've got mine, for the same purpose of carrying bikes. on Kijiji for $125 used.

Took my mechanic 15 minutes to install.

For Sport you need a different hitch I guess.

Old 12-28-2013, 09:29 AM

I got my Hidden Hitch from here. I would recommend them if you decide to go with a hitch. Free shippping and usually have a sale for the holidays.
Trailer Hitch Store | Towing Products Online | hitchweb

Old 12-29-2013, 01:11 AM

Thanks Vardimus and Turbo351 I'll check those 2 out.

Akzle my idea of professionally installed the closest i can think of is uhaul. Whenever i go to a mechanic and ask them about a tow hitch they all look at me funny and point me to uhaul. Also the roof rack idea is out of the question cuz i'm tiny. . . But none the less thanks for the idea.

Old 12-30-2013, 12:26 PM

i went with the hitch option as well, works great... my install took about 3 hours as the threads where all rusted shut and i had to drill and retap all of them then add weld for support to ensure there was enough meat there... not common i am told, have installed 2 since took under 15 min, super easy, just run a tap though the holes first, i powder coated mine to match the paint so it would blend better

Old 01-01-2014, 11:49 AM

I'm in the same boat as Evilmika, but for my 2008 Outlander. I installed a roof rack and two roof mounted bike racks (took about half an hour) a few days ago. Removing the front wheel of both bikes every time, hauling it up, and removing the bike before entering the garage is getting old fast. I'm going to return this system.

I went with the roof racks because I didn't have a tow hitch. Now I think it might be worth getting the hitch installed for this purpose.

Evilmika, I know this post didn't help you much, but just letting you know I'm looking for the same thing

For others with tow hitch bike racks on Outlanders, are you able to use your tailgate while the bike rack is installed?

ps - Evilmika, might be worth adding 'bike rack' to the subject for visibility.
Oh, and happy new year.

Last edited by mxms; 01-01-2014 at 11:52 AM.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:22 PM

Hehe good idea mxms but i dont know how to change it to add the bike rack subject on the main thread.

JRK that coating looks nice.

^.^ happy new year to you guys too ^.^

Old 01-11-2014, 10:25 PM
Default Speaking of which...

can the Outlander Sport LE actually tow a light trailer, or is it not advisable?

Old 09-29-2014, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by cmb54521@gmail.com
can the Outlander Sport LE actually tow a light trailer, or is it not advisable?
4cyl - 1500lbs
6cyl - 3500lbs

So in theory, if your trailer is lighter than 1500lbs (+ passengers/cargo), you're good.

Quick Reply: Towing Hitch