Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Towing a Travel Trailer with a Outi...

Old 02-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Default Towing a Travel Trailer with a Outi...

Hello, I would like to know if anyone as tow a travel trailer with a Mitsubishi Outlander 2008 and up. I would like to start camping this year and would like to know if he's able to tow a good charge without problem. I have on my Outie the factory hitch and wire harness. I know that the towing capacity is 3500 pound and 350 on the hitch. Tell me your experience and what is your equipment. Thank you!!

Old 02-09-2010, 05:53 PM
tcp
Default some friends do.

They towed a TAB trailer across Canada when they were moving out to Halifax. They bought a 2007 Outlander LS at the same time we did (worked a deal for two). Pulled fine.

Here's what they towed:

http://www.tab-rv.com/

Originally Posted by piper
Hello, I would like to know if anyone as tow a travel trailer with a Mitsubishi Outlander 2008 and up. I would like to start camping this year and would like to know if he's able to tow a good charge without problem. I have on my Outie the factory hitch and wire harness. I know that the towing capacity is 3500 pound and 350 on the hitch. Tell me your experience and what is your equipment. Thank you!!

Attached Thumbnails Towing a Travel Trailer with a Outi...-img_0150.jpg  
Old 02-09-2010, 06:15 PM

My outtie has had the pleasure of towing a few things so far. On the lighter end, it's towed 600-700 pounds in snowmobiles. With this light load, I really didn't notice much of an effect on the Outlander's performance (v6 and I've got the factory set up and so far have been pleased with it.), even in snowy conditions. As far as the heavy stuff goes, I've towed a boat of about 3500-4000 pounds. Power's been good getting up the ramp, but the driving dynamics are obviously affected by the added weight. The rear suspension especially seems to dip under the added weight. Nevertheless, the Outlander is more than capable of towing up to the limit.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:20 PM
Default Tow a traval trailer

Do you think the Outie could be able to tow a 3000 pounds travel trailer and a 310 pound on the hitch without any problem? Should I tow on 4wd ou 2wd for better performance? The factory hitch is rate a class II or class III ? Would I be able to put stabilizer bar ? Continue to give me info on the towing experience .

Old 02-10-2010, 09:58 PM
tcp
Default towing should be fine...

The actual weight of the trailer is fine. A couple of thoughts to consider:

-tongue weight: unless you've weighed the tongue to be 310lbs, it'll probably be significantly higher when actually loaded up with battery, water, AC unit and supplies. Published tongue weight is given without those items. The rear springs on the outlander are particularly soft and you'll be dragging the rear end with that weight on there. I would add airbags inside the rear springs and also a weigh distributing hitch. You want to spread the weight to both axles of the outie.

-The outlander has a relatively short wheelbase, so anti-sway equipment would add a degree of safety. The trailer should be fine under normal conditions without it, but in an emergency or heavy winds, it can be very helpful.

-I would tow in 4wd and keep speeds under 60mph. The biggest resistance from the trailer will be from the wind once you are rolling. Lower speeds reduce that somewhat.

We have an 18ft travel trailer (3700lbs GVWR and probably 500lbs tongue when loaded)that we tow with our sienna. I have airbags in the rear springs and use a Reese trunion style WDH with 600lb spring bars. Works very well and the sienna has no sag in the rear with this setup. The sienna also has quite a bit longer wheelbase, but is FWD only. I have only hooked the trailer up to the outlander without the WDH attached to move it around to the front of the house and the rear end sagged a great deal. I'd get bags for it and use the WDH if I were planning on towing with the outie.

I've attached a picture of ours.

Originally Posted by piper
Do you think the Outie could be able to tow a 3000 pounds travel trailer and a 310 pound on the hitch without any problem? Should I tow on 4wd ou 2wd for better performance? The factory hitch is rate a class II or class III ? Would I be able to put stabilizer bar ? Continue to give me info on the towing experience .

Attached Thumbnails Towing a Travel Trailer with a Outi...-cimg0017.jpg  
Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 PM

Hey tcp,

I was just checking this topic when I noticed the Medicine Hat Tee Pee in the background. I live in "The 'Hat" and was wondering if you also lived here or were just passing through?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:34 PM
tcp
Default passing through

We were coming back to Calgary from a cold May long-weekend camping trip at cypress hills. It was so nice and warm we stopped and went for a bike ride along the river. I had an 88 audi 4000s until 2006. fun car.

Originally Posted by ringram67
Hey tcp,

I was just checking this topic when I noticed the Medicine Hat Tee Pee in the background. I live in "The 'Hat" and was wondering if you also lived here or were just passing through?

Old 02-14-2010, 05:56 AM
Default Thank you

Thank you all for the infos !!

Old 02-18-2010, 08:06 PM

How much would airbags for the rear suspension including installation cost?

Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
tcp
Default you can install yourself

The set for our Sienna cost about $120. Here's a set for the outlander:

http://www.fsip.com/riderite/rrkit/k...i=521&rrk=4182

I bought them online, can't remember where. Installation took about 1.5 hours and was painless.

previous thread:

https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=33304

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
How much would airbags for the rear suspension including installation cost?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing a Travel Trailer with a Outi...