Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Towing a Travel Trailer with a Outi...

Old 05-11-2010, 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by jangledang
The rear suspension especially seems to dip under the added weight. Nevertheless, the Outlander is more than capable of towing up to the limit.

I have the same problem with mine. Bought my outie 3 months ago with the hitch already installed. Noticed just now that it seems the rear is lower than the front and it doesnt look good for me. Is there something I can do to lift the rear a bit?

Old 05-11-2010, 07:14 AM

I guess you aren't interested in the air bags mentioned on the last couple of posts on the first page of this thread?

Old 05-23-2010, 02:36 PM
Default In the same boat.

I have an 07 16' Fun Finder (aprox 2000 lbs). I am going to install an equalizer / WDH hitch with some sway control. Hoping it will help with the significant sag on the rear of my 08 Outlander XLS. Can you explain the air bags and how they work for me? How much difference do they make in the sag, or is the difference in the ride / towing? I'm a towing rookie and need all your advice. Thanks!!!

Pic below of the first time I hooked up the Fun Finder this weekend on the outie... notice the rear end sag? Not good.

Attached Thumbnails Towing a Travel Trailer with a Outi...-dscf0508.jpg  
Old 05-23-2010, 11:11 PM
tcp
Default Airbags

They install inside the coil spring on the rear of the vehicle. They act as an additional, adjustable spring to offset heavy weights in the rear of the vehicle. You can inflate them from 5 to 35lbs of air pressure depending on how much weight you are putting on the back. I would install them as well as get a weight distributing hitch system. The outlander will pull your trailer much more comfortably with both of those installed.

Originally Posted by canadiangalab
I have an 07 16' Fun Finder (aprox 2000 lbs). I am going to install an equalizer / WDH hitch with some sway control. Hoping it will help with the significant sag on the rear of my 08 Outlander XLS. Can you explain the air bags and how they work for me? How much difference do they make in the sag, or is the difference in the ride / towing? I'm a towing rookie and need all your advice. Thanks!!!

Pic below of the first time I hooked up the Fun Finder this weekend on the outie... notice the rear end sag? Not good.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg
I guess you aren't interested in the air bags mentioned on the last couple of posts on the first page of this thread?
I had mine done with a rubber lifter put in between the spring and the body. I checked my clearance between the front and back and my rear was 1 inch lower than the front. I had it fabricated with a 1.5 inch lift and now my rear .5 inch higher... not very noticable but it looks better than it was before.

Ride and comfort is still the same. Costs me only 30 bucks, labor included. That's what I love living here in the Philippines, everything is very cheap.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 AM

I have an 09 model 4wd with the 2.4 cvt and tow a 1400kg (3100lb) van . I just did 2000k and averaged 15 Lt to 100k and I sit on the speed limits. It tows like a dream.I tow with 2wd. I have 2bar level riders and only drop about half an inch with a ball weight of 140kgs. I intend to install air bags in the rear springs. Just had LPG installed.

Old 11-10-2010, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by piper
Do you think the Outie could be able to tow a 3000 pounds travel trailer and a 310 pound on the hitch without any problem? Should I tow on 4wd ou 2wd for better performance? The factory hitch is rate a class II or class III ? Would I be able to put stabilizer bar ? Continue to give me info on the towing experience .

I think Outie can to tow a 3000 pounds travel trailer and a 310 pound on the hitch without any problem. Know why? Because my friend used to tow a 4500 lb travel trailer with Outie and she has no problem with it. As we all know, 4500 lb is heavier that 3000 lbs, right?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:23 AM

I think the main issue with towing anything heavier is braking performance/car handling issue. It will significantly decrease your braking distance, which can be dangerous. Likewise, it will make the car more prone to losing control at higher speeds due to its relatively low weight. It also does put more strain on the drivetrain, but accelerating slower should decrease the strain quite a bit (i.e no WOT on moving).

Old 11-11-2010, 11:12 PM
tcp
Default Braking

Any trailer that will cause a significant change in vehicle dynamics will have trailer brakes. They stop the trailer and the car's brakes stop the car. No change in braking behaviour should happen. A quality brake controller goes a long way. As far as handling, yup, that can be a big issue, but mitigated with proper hitch/weight distribution.

I just traded our Bantam in for a new Funfinder 189FDS. I usually tow with our van, but the outie is wired up and can be pressed into service if required.

Originally Posted by ivanz
I think the main issue with towing anything heavier is braking performance/car handling issue. It will significantly decrease your braking distance, which can be dangerous. Likewise, it will make the car more prone to losing control at higher speeds due to its relatively low weight. It also does put more strain on the drivetrain, but accelerating slower should decrease the strain quite a bit (i.e no WOT on moving).

Attached Thumbnails Towing a Travel Trailer with a Outi...-siennaff.jpg  
Old 08-28-2011, 10:43 PM
Default what's your set up?

Originally Posted by jangledang
As far as the heavy stuff goes, I've towed a boat of about 3500-4000 pounds. Power's been good getting up the ramp, but the driving dynamics are obviously affected by the added weight. The rear suspension especially seems to dip under the added weight. Nevertheless, the Outlander is more than capable of towing up to the limit.
To give my other SUV a little bit of a break in terms of hauling the toy or trips to Home Depot, I plan to use the Outlander. I know with the V6 it has plenty of power. I'll get the tow hitch from etrailer and the wiring harness from Mitsubishi. I also want to install the air springs to eliminate the sagging. I will install the package myself. Tell me, jangledang, Is this set up good enough? I will be towing a 21 footer; with gasoline and other gadgets I'll be pushing to 3500 pounds. Thanks.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Towing a Travel Trailer with a Outi...