Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TPMS life expectancy

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 10:43 PM
Default TPMS life expectancy

I have a 2008 Outlander XLS that has the lovely TPMS sensors. What are their life expectancy battery wise and is the battery replaceable?

Old 10-15-2010, 04:40 PM

From what I've read they usually last from 5-8 years and I'm pretty sure the battery is not replaceable. I don't know what the cost to replace the sensors on Outlander's would be.

When you replace your tires, the tire shop may recommend you purchase a rebuild kit that replaces the seals in the sensor. These kits with labor usually only run about $3 per tire. Opinions vary on whether the rebuild kits are worth it. Some people think its just a way for the tire shop to make a few extra dollars, others say the small cost is worth it.

In rare cases a tire shop may actually damage a sensor when replacing your tires so it's important to make sure the TPMS light is not on when you leave the shop with your new tires. If it is, go back immediately and make them replace the sensor at their expense.

Last edited by azjake; 10-15-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:00 PM

Aftermarket TPMS sensors are ~$50.00

You can not replace batteries on TPMS sensors because they are a sealed (and not meant to break open) component.

Old 10-17-2010, 01:35 PM

What tools are you guys using to reprogram aftermarket sensors? Or are you just having the dealer reprogram your TPMS module with the new sensor ID?

Old 10-26-2010, 03:39 PM
Default Outlander TPMS replacement

I am in the process of having a single TPMS sensor replaced on my 2007 Outlander XLS. The valve stem cracked at the location where the valve seats and the tire would not hold air. The valve stem eventually broke off.

I read up on TPMS sensors for the Outlander and found the Bartec website. The site advised that a Belle Tire dealer was equipped with the Bartec 400 Plus electronic device that would be needed to reprogram the Outlander computer to recognize the new TPMS sensor. I called the tire dealer and they assured me they could replace and reprogram the car to recognize the sensor. They installed an Orange Electronics CE1004, which is the Belle Tire equivalent of their SC36AA sensor. After they installed the sensor, they looked in the manual and found out they could not really reprogram the Outlander to recognize it; they did not have the upgrade CD attached to a PC that Bartec sells/supplies. They told me I had to go to a Mitsubishi dealer to have the unit programmed. The Orange/Belle Tire sensor cost was $46.99 plus tax. It would have been a good deal if it had worked.

I went to the Mitsubishi dealer and explained my problem. They quoted a cost of 0.8 hours labor (about $75.00) to do the reprogramming. They tried to reprogram the new sensor, but could not get it to respond. They claimed that it is necessary to deflate all 4 tires and then re-inflate them, getting the computer to recognize each of the existing sensors, one at a time, along with the new sensor. They said the new Orange/Belle sensor did not seem to be operating on the same radio frequency as the original 3 still on the car. They gave me a break and only charged me $50.00 for their time trying to program the new sensor and I had them order a new Mitsubishi sensor at a cost of $80.00. I have an appointment to have the new sensor installed and expect to be charged again for programming that one.

I did more research and found that some suppliers believe that the 2007 Outlander was originally equipped with Siemens TPMS sensors and some believe they are Schrader sensors. The equivalent Mitsubishi part number referenced for each of these is 4250A225, which is what the Mitsu dealer ordered for me. The Orange/Belle sensors may be incompatible with the Schrader sensors, since their website lists Siemens as the original equipment manufacturer. I may find out more when I have the dealer install the Mitsu unit.

Old 10-26-2010, 03:55 PM

Hopefully 2nd gen TPMS sensors can be wirelessly charged like an electric toothbrush. The technology is there, but they probably don't want to make them because it would hurt their sales.

Old 11-04-2010, 06:29 PM

degory1058 - Good info, thanks. Looks like we have a lot more research to do before we have a decent aftermarket solution.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by degory1058
I am in the process of having a single TPMS sensor replaced on my 2007 Outlander XLS. The valve stem cracked at the location where the valve seats and the tire would not hold air. The valve stem eventually broke off.

I read up on TPMS sensors for the Outlander and found the Bartec website. The site advised that a Belle Tire dealer was equipped with the Bartec 400 Plus electronic device that would be needed to reprogram the Outlander computer to recognize the new TPMS sensor. I called the tire dealer and they assured me they could replace and reprogram the car to recognize the sensor. They installed an Orange Electronics CE1004, which is the Belle Tire equivalent of their SC36AA sensor. After they installed the sensor, they looked in the manual and found out they could not really reprogram the Outlander to recognize it; they did not have the upgrade CD attached to a PC that Bartec sells/supplies. They told me I had to go to a Mitsubishi dealer to have the unit programmed. The Orange/Belle Tire sensor cost was $46.99 plus tax. It would have been a good deal if it had worked.

I went to the Mitsubishi dealer and explained my problem. They quoted a cost of 0.8 hours labor (about $75.00) to do the reprogramming. They tried to reprogram the new sensor, but could not get it to respond. They claimed that it is necessary to deflate all 4 tires and then re-inflate them, getting the computer to recognize each of the existing sensors, one at a time, along with the new sensor. They said the new Orange/Belle sensor did not seem to be operating on the same radio frequency as the original 3 still on the car. They gave me a break and only charged me $50.00 for their time trying to program the new sensor and I had them order a new Mitsubishi sensor at a cost of $80.00. I have an appointment to have the new sensor installed and expect to be charged again for programming that one.

I did more research and found that some suppliers believe that the 2007 Outlander was originally equipped with Siemens TPMS sensors and some believe they are Schrader sensors. The equivalent Mitsubishi part number referenced for each of these is 4250A225, which is what the Mitsu dealer ordered for me. The Orange/Belle sensors may be incompatible with the Schrader sensors, since their website lists Siemens as the original equipment manufacturer. I may find out more when I have the dealer install the Mitsu unit.
Just and FYI. My 2007 Outlander XLS (April 2007 build) came with the Siemens Sensor. The original Mitsui partno on the sensor is 4250a225nas you stated. I went through the same thing you did, with a Bartec equipped tire dealer claiming he could replace it only to find out he was missing the supplemental SW upgrade to do this. His clone TPM sensor would not of worked since it was a Schrader. The funny thing is, my original TPM sensor failed the same way yours did, the valve stem cracked. I guess you have to be real careful when filling the tires with air.

Old 07-18-2011, 09:20 PM
Unhappy Broken TPMS valve stems

I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander and have just experienced the second
broken valve stem.
The 1st was under warranry but the 2nd was just 2000 miles after the
60000 mile warranty.
The dealership charged $185.00 including labor.
I find this absolutely ridiculous.
I have owned 29 cars in my lifetime and never had a broken valve stem.
Both times the breakage ocurred while adding air or just checking the tire pressure.
It looks to me like the valve stems are made out of potmetal.
Stainless steel (like most cars have) would never break like that.
I have become very leery about checking air pressure on a regular schedule.
If Mitsubishi doesn't correct this problem, I will buy another brand of car.
Other than this valve stem problem, I think that the Outlander XLS V6 is an exceptional vehicle.

Old 07-25-2011, 05:18 PM

My stealership charge $70 for the sensor and $100 to program it on my 2007 xls. Took less than ten mins for them to program. Note it can only be programmed by the dealer with MUT-3 diag tool. I bought a TPMS programmer from a different vendor only to find out the Outlander is not supported. It can read my sensors but it wont talk to my odb interface.

Quick Reply: TPMS life expectancy