Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Transmission "Clunk" Noise Problem.

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 11:51 PM
Default Transmission "Clunk" Noise Problem.

Hey all, I know there is another thread just recently with the same transmission clunk noise, but I don't want to hijack that thread since my problem is a little different. I also did search, but again my problem might be different.

One time, it happen to be when parked outside at about 0 outside, put the car into drive, then I just remember I had to go back to get something, so put it into park. But while going from drive, to reverse, then park, at the reverse gear, it made a loud clunk noise. Scary!

Just today, after a 30 min drive, car is hot, but weather is cold. Reversing into a spot, and this time, I actually slowing from reverse gear, moving into park gear, slowly...In between reverse and park, it also made a loud clunk noise.

After both these situation, car drives normal, all gears are good. No engine light too.

Anyone know the problem, is it the same frozen transmission relay?

This should be cover by warranty correct?

If anyone have done this warranty, can you please give me some information that I can print out and show to my dealer.

Thanks ALL!

Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 AM
tcp
Default The relay

The problem addressed by the TSB has a clunk like you've never heard before. It physically lurches the vehicle. It feels and sounds like you've hit something hard. IF you are only getting this going into park, it sounds like the lock pin in the transmission engaging.

There is a pin that engages in park to "lock" the output shaft of the transmission and keep the car from rolling while parked. If you engage park while the vehicle is moving at all, the pin will pop into a locked state in the next available engagement point and jerk the vehicle to a stop. THIS IS VERY BAD FOR THE TRANSMISSION. I've actually had a transmission have to be repaired because I sheared the pin off and it fell into some gears inside the transmission. Always make sure you are completely stopped before you engage "park". The safest way to stop and hold the vehicle also involves the parking brake, even on an automatic, to take any stress off the lock pin.

If this is not the issue, see the other thread and look at the location of the 4 relays. On of them is the transmission relay, but since they are all the same, try moving them around from one location to another and see if the issue goes away. I'm sure the dealer could install the green relays if you don't have them yet.

-stop where you want to park.
-put vehicle in neutral while stepping on the brake.
-engage the parking brake
-release your foot from the brake and make sure the vehicle is stationary and held by the parking brake.
-put the transmission in park.

Have you ever noticed that it is difficult to move the transmission lever out of park? That would be the pin being under pressure from the vehicle trying to roll. Following the above procedure will make sure there never is pressure on the pin.

If this is definitely not the issue, then check the other thread for the location of the 4 relays. They are all the same, so try switching the locations around and see if it goes away. The dealer should install the green relays if you don't have them.

Originally Posted by ShortyRider
Hey all, I know there is another thread just recently with the same transmission clunk noise, but I don't want to hijack that thread since my problem is a little different. I also did search, but again my problem might be different.

One time, it happen to be when parked outside at about 0 outside, put the car into drive, then I just remember I had to go back to get something, so put it into park. But while going from drive, to reverse, then park, at the reverse gear, it made a loud clunk noise. Scary!

Just today, after a 30 min drive, car is hot, but weather is cold. Reversing into a spot, and this time, I actually slowing from reverse gear, moving into park gear, slowly...In between reverse and park, it also made a loud clunk noise.

After both these situation, car drives normal, all gears are good. No engine light too.

If anyone have done this warranty, can you please give me some information that I can print out and show to my dealer.

Thanks ALL!

Last edited by tcp; 02-03-2010 at 09:32 AM. Reason: mo info
Old 02-03-2010, 04:43 PM

The noise is a very loud clunk noise. I did this when the vehicle is stop, the brake fully pressed in.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:50 PM
tcp
Default then it sounds like the relay thing

I would try changing out the relays or just removing them and re-installing them. I think sometimes they stick or don't make good contact and something in the system is not ready for the shift into gear, causing the bang and lurch. I think you are seeing the same problem as in the other thread...seems to happen during the winter.

The noise is a very loud clunk noise. I did this when the vehicle is stop, the brake fully pressed in.

Old 02-03-2010, 09:33 PM

DO you have any information that I can print out off the web to show my dealership this is an actual TSB? My dealer tries to avoid warranty work, so I have to prove to them that.

I understand that the TSB number is TSB 07-13-009 , is this correct or no. I read off from the other threads. Please tell me the actual one if that is not it.

Again, thank you !

Old 02-04-2010, 09:58 AM
tcp
Default file

Just download the attached zip file and there is a PDF of the TSB in it. Zipped to make it small enough to attach here.

DO you have any information that I can print out off the web to show my dealership this is an actual TSB? My dealer tries to avoid warranty work, so I have to prove to them that.

I understand that the TSB number is TSB 07-13-009 , is this correct or no. I read off from the other threads. Please tell me the actual one if that is not it.

Again, thank you !

Attached Files
File Type: zip
tsb0713010.zip (89.6 KB, 884 views)
Old 02-04-2010, 05:18 PM

Thank You! Exactly what I was looking for!

You're the best tcp!

Old 01-05-2012, 10:50 PM

Hello

Today I had a Deer jump out in front of me and I slammed my breaks on on my 2011 Outlander SE. The Deer fell on its side and just under my front end no damage but when I put the car in reverse it would not move. I had to really give it gas to make it crawl so I could back off the road and check the front end. I put it in Park checked the front end (no damage) then got back in put it in drive and it crawled again for about half a mile then went like normal. It felt like the brakes where on and I did not turn the car off during this. Does this sound normal or is this something I should be concerned about?

Old 01-06-2012, 08:09 AM

Can' help with your problem, but try starting a new thread instead of trying to hijack an existing one, you will get better results.

Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Default Loud clunk noise on reverse Mitsubishi Outlander gt

I just got a new 2018 mitsu outlander gt

when i start the car and immediately change to reverse i get this loud scary clunk.

did you get your problem diagnosed?
i will go to dealer and hope the problem can be produced while i am at his place

Thanks ALL!

Quick Reply: Transmission "Clunk" Noise Problem.