Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

TSB for cracking splash shield on front driver side wheel well

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 AM
Default TSB for cracking splash shield on front driver side wheel well

My 2007 outie had a new splash shield on the front driver side wheel well replaced by the dealer under:

TSB-09-42A-012

This shield was replaced by a reinforced one used on the newer outlander models.

I know this has been discussed on another thread but some of those with this issue could not get a resolution from the dealer. The TSB above confirms the issue and they must replace it.

Note that this will only apply if your outie is still under warranty--meaning less than 60k miles.

Last edited by alim; 10-11-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 10-11-2010, 12:51 PM

thanks for posting alim. Took them long enough to write that up.

Old 10-12-2010, 03:24 PM

Had to jump through a couple of hoops to get it though. I called corporate and told them about the cracking shield and was given a case number.

Corporate had me tell the dealer I went to that I spoke to them in order to get their attention and to call them if no resolution was given.

What I don't know is that if your 07 outie does not have any cracks at the moment, will they replace it anyway.

Mine had a 2 inch crack coming from one of the vent openings in the shield.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:22 PM

Do you have actual document that describes this issue? I am not even sure what to look at. Thank you!

Old 10-20-2010, 05:42 PM

I only have the tsb number on my receipt. As I've described before--if you look at your front wheel well just above the front tires, you will see a black plastic shield with vents at the front to let air through.

This plastic on the earlier outlander models--specifically the 2007 models and up right before the new outlander came out had issues with cracking at those vents after time.

This was caused by the air coming in through the front vent below the foglight used to cool the transmission cooler. At speed, the high air velocity tends to crack the plastic.

They replaced it with a version thase has reinforcements attached with rivets that you can see. I was fortunate enough to have been within the 60k warranty and they replaced these items for free.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by klas
Do you have actual document that describes this issue? I am not even sure what to look at. Thank you!
Originally Posted by alim
I only have the tsb number on my receipt. As I've described before--if you look at your front wheel well just above the front tires, you will see a black plastic shield with vents at the front to let air through.

This plastic on the earlier outlander models--specifically the 2007 models and up right before the new outlander came out had issues with cracking at those vents after time.

This was caused by the air coming in through the front vent below the foglight used to cool the transmission cooler. At speed, the high air velocity tends to crack the plastic.

They replaced it with a version thase has reinforcements attached with rivets that you can see. I was fortunate enough to have been within the 60k warranty and they replaced these items for free.
As YOU DESCRIBED BEFORE.....you have the TSB and the number. What klas is asking you is to kindly post the TSB and reference number located on your receipt so he and other members can have reference to use.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:15 AM

I don't know how else to help you as I've listed the TSB number on the first post.

Again, it is TSB-09-42A-012

All that is stated on the receipt is:

Customer states that the splash shield is rubbing against the tire SOP is here TSB-09-42A-012

Replaced the splash shields.

The dealer can look up this TSB and should have all the data needed to implement a fix for you. As long as you've got the TSB number as listed above, they can look it up and confirm the problem.

What you will need to do is go to the dealer explain there is a TSB on this and have them look it up to provide you with a solution. Good Luck.

To prove your point to the dealer, have them look at the newer outlanders as they have the rivetted shields on their units.

Again it is TSB-09-42A-012. This is the tsb number you should give the dealer that they can look up in their system.

Last edited by alim; 10-21-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 PM
Banned

Sounds good thanks.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:37 AM

My Outie has this problem too; I went with dealer with TSB on hand to obtain a replacement free. I expect for response from them. . .

Attached Thumbnails TSB for cracking splash shield on front driver side wheel well-guardabarro.jpg  
Old 11-01-2010, 12:04 AM

Jsrd, that is the exact location where the cracks originate and if your outie is within 60k, there should be no issues for the replacement.

What they did with mine was the service manager took pictures of the damaged shield and responded within 1 week telling me that the replacement part was ready and to just bring it in.

The great thing was that they not only replaced the driver side but also the passenger side shield as well so you should have 2 new shields after they perform the warranty.

If the dealer does not want to help you, call mitsu corporate and tell them your were not helped. This was the advice given to me by corporate when I called to complain about the issue.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: TSB for cracking splash shield on front driver side wheel well