Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Turn DRL on/off with switch?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 04:13 PM
Default Turn DRL on/off with switch?

Has anyone figured out how to tie a switch into the Daytime Running Lamp circuit so that you can turn them on/off. I am thinking that if you connect a switch in line with the positive lead to the DRL's it would effectively disable them when the circuit is opened. I want to install the switch next to the ASC button on the left side of the drivers dash.

The only way I know to shut the DRL's off is to start the engine with the parking brake engaged, when released, the DRL's turn on.

Anyone have any ideas?

Last edited by klevy09; 08-31-2009 at 09:00 AM.
Old 08-30-2009, 08:03 PM

You need to install the fog kit (switch, relay) and you will be able to turn them on/off.

Just read this thread: https://mitsubishiforum.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=25231

Old 08-31-2009, 08:52 AM

Ok, so I read the thread you linked to above. From what it says, if I were to purchase the new relay and left stalk switch and install it, I would be able to turn the DRL's on/off with the switch. If I purchase the fog light kit and install it, I would be able to turn both the DRL's and fog lights on/off simultaneously with the switch. Is this correct.

I failed to mention earlier that I have an 09' ES model with the Comfort/Convenience package, no HID's, no fogs. My DRL's turn on with the ignition and turn off when I switch the halogen headlights on. I want to be able to switch off the DRL's when I am parked and still in the car, so that neither the DRL's or the headlights are on.

If I can do this with the fog kit I may just purchase that because I would like to have the fog lights on the Outie. If not, I will stick with just the regular DRL's and halogen headlights.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:35 PM

Well yes, the earlier thread was to allow people that have DRL's in the fogs to be able to control the fogs on/off. There is not a switch available to allow the DRL's that are located in the low beams or fogs to turn on/off. So buying that relay and switch wont do anything unless you have fogs.

Doing that mod though for someone with HID and DRL in fogs will keep the DRL on like usual, but when the HID is tunred on and the DRL turns off, the switch allows the fogs to be turned back on as if they were like standard fog lamps. But the mod doesnt allow us to turn the DRL off when the HID (or low beam) is off. You would need to disable (remove relay) the DRL. But by installing the fog kit you could then use the fogs...

That thread was done with people doing trial and error. So we didnt know if it would work till someone actually tried it. Hopefully I didnt really confuse you...

Old 09-01-2009, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by klevy09

The only way I know to shut the DRL's off is to start the engine with the parking brake engaged, when released, the DRL's turn on.

Anyone have any ideas?
if you want to park with the headlamps and drls off why not use the parking brake?

Old 09-03-2009, 08:50 PM

I do currently use the parking brake but it will only shut off the DRL's when the engine is shut off and then turned back on. The DRL's will light back up when the parking brake is released. I checked in my fuse box today and there is no relay for the DRL's installed.

Old 09-03-2009, 09:26 PM

heres the location if you do not have HID headlamps

Attached Thumbnails Turn DRL on/off with switch?-relay.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 10:36 PM

Thanks for the diagram, it confirms that I do not have the DRL relay installed in my Outie. Do you know if this is because I do not have HID and fog lights? I only have the halogen driving lights. I would like to figure out a way to use this relay point as a way to switch the DRL's on/off.

I have attached a photo of the fusebox to this post.

Attached Thumbnails Turn DRL on/off with switch?-fusebox.jpg  
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 PM

has anyone who has put after market hids on their car tried to put a drl relay switch into the fuse compartmet? i just bought some hids and was reading through all these posts, and got to thinking that if some evos and lancers have that relay fuse in the fuse compartmet, why couldnt you buy that relay fuse for your lancer?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:43 PM

you could leave them on and let them do what they're suppost to do.

why not disable the airbags and seatbelts why youre at it?

Quick Reply: Turn DRL on/off with switch?