Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Tyre issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2015, 02:06 PM
Default Tyre issues

Can anyone advise if they have heard of this before, I have a 2013 outlander, just recently had to change the front tyres only and this has caused a 4wd service required warning to come up on the dash, this is actually switching of the automatic 4wd, I have spoken to the local garage and they have said that it's because I have older tyres on the back and new on the front. I have even tried the customer service at mitisibushi they just said the same. Surely I do not have to change all 4 tyres at once. Any answer would help with my discussion with mitisbushi

Old 03-03-2015, 10:17 PM

you have two options with the outlander.

put the new tires on the front and drive only in 2wd until they are worn down to the same tread depth as the old tires.

take the new tires to a shop who will shave the new tires down to the same tread depth as the old tires.

This happened to me last year. I chose to drive the vehicle in 2wd until the new tires were worn down to the same size as the older tires.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Andyw
Can anyone advise if they have heard of this before, I have a 2013 outlander, just recently had to change the front tyres only and this has caused a 4wd service required warning to come up on the dash, this is actually switching of the automatic 4wd, I have spoken to the local garage and they have said that it's because I have older tyres on the back and new on the front. I have even tried the customer service at mitisibushi they just said the same. Surely I do not have to change all 4 tyres at once. Any answer would help with my discussion with mitisbushi

Yup....The circumference of all tires have to be within certain specs of eachother. Like was mentioned above, wear the tires on the front down only in 2wd until they are all relatively close.

I have friends with subarus and if they blow a tire or something after owning the set for a while, they are screwed....

Old 03-14-2015, 03:02 AM

Thank you guys, unfortunately I have had to purchase two more tyres, but to be fair to kwik fit they have been amazing and very helpful which is more than can be said for the dealers and Mitsubishi. Sadly this will be my last Mitsubishi car once I have gone past the two year point I will be trading in. I enjoy the outlander but the daft things that always seem to come up are the downfall.

Old 09-30-2015, 05:53 PM

I understand that all 4 tires need to be of the same circumference, tread and tread depth. So how do they account for the donut-sized spare? If you put it on, wouldn't it chew up the differential before you can get to a tire shop?

I am in need of a new set of tires. I found a good deal on Kumho Crugens, but I am paranoid that they might discontinue the tread pattern. Here in Vegas, there's all kind of debris in the roadway, and puncturing a sidewall is a damn-near yearly occurrence. Given this, should I just stick with the crappy Eagle LS since I know I can get that 2 - 3 years down the road and have it shaved down to correct tread depth?

Old 10-11-2015, 08:09 PM

that is why emergency doughnut spares are simply that... EMERGENCY SPARES...

Drive on it ONLY WHAT IS NECESSARY and replace it with full size tire ASAP... keep it on long enough and you are you may just screw up your differential.

Old 10-12-2015, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Andyw
Yes, with AWD cars, you must change all 4 tires at once. The different diameter or wheels causes them to spin at different speeds. This causes the center diff to heat up and cause more wear an tear on AWD components.

Older outlanders are ok with this because they can be switched into 2wd mode, and owners run them like that 99% of the year, and only switch to AWD in snow or off pavement. But at some point, i forget what year, mitsubishi switched the outander to AWD full time to fall in line with the competition.