Mitsubishi Outlander The new crossover from Mitsubishi, mixing the usefulness of an SUV with the size and convenience of a sport wagon.

Valvoline max life for 6sp tranny fluid

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 10:14 AM
Kip
Default Valvoline max life for 6sp tranny fluid

Hey all

I'm in need of a tranny fluid change in my 3liter outlander. I called the oil change place I use and they said they spec valvoline max life for it and it's 100% warranty approved. I checked the specs online and valvoline claims its spec'd for the atf j3 that mitsubishi requires.

Has anyone else used this fluid?

I'm loathe to go to the local dealership here. They are crooks. I was lied to at least three times when I purchased the vehicle but the 10 year warranty on a used mitsu can only be had on a dealership purchased one so I bought anyways.

Should I go ahead with this or should I just go buy the fluid from the dealership and bring it in.

Old 09-16-2016, 11:58 AM

When someone makes a recommendation for a fluid and says something non-oem will work...but doesn't back it up with any proof...look it up yourself.

Valvoline ATF Products:
Automatic Transmission Products - Valvoline®

MultiVehicle Import: http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/multi_vehicle_atf.pdf
- only specs SP-III for Mitsubishi
MaxLife : http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/maxlife_atf.pdf
- only specs SP-III for Mitsubishi

SP-III is not ATF-J3/J2/J1.

FYI, my service manual says to use J1, my owners manual says to use J2. J3 supersedes J2 & J1. J2 supersedes only J1.

Be very particular when spec'ing ATF fluid. The spec for the CVT transmissions is very close to ATF spec. CVT calls for CVTF-J1/J2/Jx. Traditional ATF is ATF-J1/J2/J3. DiaQueen ATF fluid is red. DiaQueen CVT fluid is green.

Havoline makes a compatible fluid:
Havoline Synthetic Multi-Vehicle (click on applications tab/button) : Full Synthetic Multi-Vehicle
It is by far the best deal for fluid: https://www.amazon.com/Havoline-2265...+synthetic+atf

Old 09-17-2016, 05:52 PM
Kip

Thanks for the reply. Good to know Havoline has one spec'd for the outlander. I know Amsoil has one but they want an arm and a leg for it too. By the time I buy the havoline online and bring it somewhere to change I may as well just got to the stealership and pay them though. Things were so much simpler with my last vehicle after the warranty ran out. I just did everything myself.....

I did more digging and found additional info. In the expanded spec it does show ATF-J3. I emailed valvoline directly to see what their response is. I think I'm going to call around to some other lube places and see if they are doing the same thing too.

Honda vs. Valvoline Maxlife Tranny Fluid

Valvoline Equivalents for OEM Transmission Fluid - Mazda 6 Forums : Mazda 6 Forum / Mazda Atenza Forum

https://wiki.vipauto.com/images/7/71...2015_07_23.pdf

Last edited by Kip; 09-17-2016 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-18-2016, 12:14 AM

IMO, something like this....if the official site doesn't state it...it isn't specd for it.

Also, pay attention how the fluid is changed. If you take it to the stealership, their tranny fluid change service is only a drain and fill...that only changes out 2.5 quarts. A full flush is about 8 qts and is done by pulling the return line on the oil cooler.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:27 PM

Just use the dealer supplied fluid...the correct one...they service it..they screw it up..they own it..

Old 09-19-2016, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Lancerguy2013
Just use the dealer supplied fluid...the correct one...they service it..they screw it up..they own it..
That has about as much weight as "lifetime fluid". The fluid will work all the way until the tranny dies.

On an older vehicle, they do the work (i.e. not a full flush, leaving crap fluid in there), your tranny dies faster...they are not on the hook.

However, I will say, last time I did the work in Kansas City, the fluid was pretty cheap...about $6/qt. Before it was like $11.50/qt. Still cheap at $6/qt...but not as cheap as havoline.

Let's also remember, this transmission is not a Mitsubishi. It is a Jatco, which also has supplied Nissan vehicles as well. Do you think Nissan is specifying a DiaQueen branded tranny fluid? I doubt it.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by ccernst
That has about as much weight as "lifetime fluid". The fluid will work all the way until the tranny dies.

On an older vehicle, they do the work (i.e. not a full flush, leaving crap fluid in there), your tranny dies faster...they are not on the hook.

However, I will say, last time I did the work in Kansas City, the fluid was pretty cheap...about $6/qt. Before it was like $11.50/qt. Still cheap at $6/qt...but not as cheap as havoline.

Let's also remember, this transmission is not a Mitsubishi. It is a Jatco, which also has supplied Nissan vehicles as well. Do you think Nissan is specifying a DiaQueen branded tranny fluid? I doubt it.

Ok..fair enough..I will qualify that...Under Warranty...let the dealer service it. My 09 Lancer went 285,000 km ...I did 6 Transmission Services..all at the Dealer...it was running perfectly when I traded it in.

Old 09-19-2016, 06:44 PM

There is a sticky on how to do the flush, I used AMSOIL SS, cost me about $100.